PDA

View Full Version : 2007 24v adding a MP3/iPOD input

hckyman37
03-27-2010, 07:42 PM
I just bought a 2007 24v and want to know what is the easiest way to add a iPod outlet to the stereo. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

jonyb
03-28-2010, 06:12 AM
If you've got the Kenwood head unit, the iP500 is a nice piece that charges the ipod and controls it through the head unit and extra remotes.

jzelt
03-29-2010, 04:25 PM
I ended up getting the iS75 because I have Nano 5th generation in order to be able to charge it.

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=896

And this from the adapter to the back of the Kenwood stereo.

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=112

I see that Jonyb's suggestion also has the adapter so 5th gen can be charged thru it.

I went with the one I did so I can charge the ipod even if not listening to it as the power cord can be ran to terminal panel.

May not be necessary if you are going to listen to it only when the radio is on.

I anticipate using it in the truck on the way to the launch which will drain the battery using a non-5th gen cable in the truck so it plays but doesn't charge, but then maybe running the boat/floating with the stereo off but it will still charge.

kporsch
03-30-2010, 04:35 PM
KCA-ip500 is the way to go. Allows you to control with the remote at the driver's helm. Add a griffin charge converter for newer Ipods/Iphones.

hckyman37
03-30-2010, 10:28 PM
I am new at this so forgive me if this is a stupid question; do I need both items Jzelt suggested or just the iS75? If I need both should I just go with the KCA-ip500? Thanks in advance.

jzelt
03-31-2010, 02:53 PM
The second item I listed goes to a designed input slot on the back of the Kenwood head unit. (may not be necessary).

If you just want to plug the ipod into an input rca jack in the back or amp, you only need the first link. I went with the IS75 because of the nano 5th gen. They changed the way they are recharged. Otherwise, I would have been happy with the fm modulator we have for the wife's 4th gen that would recharge.

I am not a "stereo" guy. I just go for something that works to put descent sound out to my liking. As you look at these guys (and I envy as I wish I could drop the dough on stereo), they have top notch stereos/amps/batteries setups. I just want to listen to different songs than the top 20 on the stereo. Not rock the lake and I think either will work.

With that in mind, I did buy the FM modulator for the 5th gen ipod to recharge, but went a different route to the cable that plugs in as honestly, this boat has a better stereo than the 4 speaker units I have had in other boats. Therefore, I felt compelled to go a different route to the cable that plugs in vs radio signal.

Plus reading what they said on other posts convinced me that it was the better quality way to go. The benefit their unit has is that you can control the ipod from the head unit.

It will be in easy reach and I know the buttons on the ipod to switch songs if something comes on that doesn't work with the activity we are doing at the time, so the remote thing doesn't really matter to me. However, I guess it would be a nice to have to control from the swim platform control.

I can still use the wife's fm whenever I want with the 5th gen (in vehicles getting to/from lake). It just doesn't charge the unit.