PDA

View Full Version : Sound System

chautauquasun
03-28-2010, 05:17 PM
So it was raining here all day and I was bored so I decided to try out my new Christmas present that I have been waiting to put in the boat. Instead of waiting for the install I brought the battery in and put it all together in my basement.

It sounded pretty good for speakers out in the open air but I am assuming once they are enlcosed in the sidewalls the sound will be better and the bass will sound better as well. Is that correct?

I have some questions for the sound system guys. Bear with me if I sound completely stupid with my questions.

I bought a Sony reciever that states it has 52 wattsX 4 channels. I am assuming that it is actually sending 52 watts to each speaker. Is that correct? Also I bought a 320 amp to use and for future growth. I set the system up today and did not use the speaker leads coming out of the receiver I connected the receiver to the amp with stereo cables. I am running Alpine speakers that say the are 110 watt peak and 35 RMS. I dont know what the 35 RMS means. Can you help me with that?

Also if I am running the reciever through the amp does that mean that it is the 52 watts per channel plus the 80 watts per channel from the amp or does it simply mean 80 watts per channel from the amp.

I found that the speakers were not handling the power well at the top end of the volume and I was getting pops until I turned down the amp with the sensitivity knobs.

I think that it should sound pretty good once the speakers are installed in the sidewalls. I bought 4 speakers to use in the boat. I didnt buy any for the playpen at this point but may in the future.

So am I putting 132 watts of power to each speaker with this set-up or just 80? The way the speakers were handling it at the upper range tells me they are getting 132.

Probably really easy questions for Jonnyb.

Thanks

Gravity08
03-28-2010, 05:30 PM
They will be getting the 80 from the amp. Deck power is just for the wires running out the back of the reciever. It is actually wores to under power a speaker than over power it. Just remember if it is over powered to listen responsibly.

jonyb
03-28-2010, 05:41 PM
The 52W in actuality turns out to be about 15W per channel. There was a test in a car audio magazine years ago and even the strongest, best radio on the market only put out around 20W per channel, and was advertised to do 55X4 or something like that.

From the radio through the rca's to the amps, is not powered, it's a low-level signal only.

When the speakers are on a baffle board and partially enclosed, they'll sound much better. You were getting pops because there was no crossover filtering out the lower frequencies. Those speakers should be crossed-over at around 80hz or higher. You'll see that setting on the amp.

chautauquasun
03-28-2010, 05:59 PM
The 52W in actuality turns out to be about 15W per channel. There was a test in a car audio magazine years ago and even the strongest, best radio on the market only put out around 20W per channel, and was advertised to do 55X4 or something like that.

From the radio through the rca's to the amps, is not powered, it's a low-level signal only.

When the speakers are on a baffle board and partially enclosed, they'll sound much better. You were getting pops because there was no crossover filtering out the lower frequencies. Those speakers should be crossed-over at around 80hz or higher. You'll see that setting on the amp.

Thanks Jonyb...I knew you would be the one to ask.

Question for you on the cross-over. My amp has a screw dial on the back for each channel that goes form 32hz to 320hz but there are no gradutions between the two ends. How do I know when I am at 80hz? W

jonyb
03-28-2010, 07:03 PM
Turn it to the best guess is the first answer. A good way to do it is to play only the speakers on that channel. Adjust the head unit to the volume that they'll play at, while playing the music you'll most likely listen to. What you're doing is taking the low frequencies out so you won't damage the speaker. Start high, then lower it down until it slightly distorts, then turn it back a little. Make sure all tone controls on the radio are flat, loudness is off, and any other DSP or soundchanger that the head unit may have.

chautauquasun
03-29-2010, 01:07 PM
Another question. I was originally going to wire the power to the receiver/head to the accessory fuse panel. But if I am running a two battery set-up should I just wire the receiver directly to the aux battery? Is there any need to wire it to the fuse panel if I am using an inline fuse from the battery to the reciever. Any pros or cons to doing it this way. It will making wiring simpler. Also I just orderd the Surepower 1314 battery charging system. Not sure if that changes how I need to wire this up.

thanks for all of our help. I havent wired a stereo since putting in a Kraco into my hand me down 1976 Olds Omega back in 1987. Thats pretty hilarious isnt it. :D

jonyb
03-29-2010, 08:55 PM
The head unit won't draw enough current alone to make that much of a difference.