PDA

View Full Version : Prop size

chautauquasun
03-28-2010, 06:17 PM
I just took my prop off to get it repaired and refurbished...I will try to post some pics of what it looked like before and after. A lot of guys will be laughing when you see what it looked like. We are on a shallow lake and at times the water is below my waist at the end of our dock....you can imagine what it looks like.

I think the prop I took off is the original prop but I am not sure. It is a Michigan 3 blade prop size is 14X11. I have an 1984 Rider. Does that sound like the orginal size?

ssmith
03-28-2010, 10:07 PM
I sent mine to OJ last season for a refurb. It was pretty dinged up. Total turn around time was 4 days and looked brand spankin new. It was amazing at the difference.

87SunSportMikeyD
03-29-2010, 10:12 AM
Chautauq - 3-blade 14x11 1:1trans is the same as mine. What are you using it for? The 14 is a speed prop. For weighted boarding and surfing I dropped to a 10.5x11 :) :) big difference. The stock prop is 13x11 so you have a speed prop on right now. My docking area is also shallow. Can be painful with a brand new prop...

chautauquasun
03-29-2010, 11:32 AM
Chautauq - 3-blade 14x11 1:1trans is the same as mine. What are you using it for? The 14 is a speed prop. For weighted boarding and surfing I dropped to a 10.5x11 :) :) big difference. The stock prop is 13x11 so you have a speed prop on right now. My docking area is also shallow. Can be painful with a brand new prop...

Thanks Mikey

I was just curious if this was the stock prop. Looking at it again it looks like it is a 14X12. I had talked to other supra owners and it sounded like 13X11 was stock. Sounds like at 14X12 the PO was more interested in speed than in towing skiiers or wakeboarders. Probably going to stick with this prop for now until we get a better feel for wakeboarding then maybe change it up.

Don't laugh too hard here are some pics of this whats left of it. I just mailed it out to ProperPitch in DE for repair. I will post some pics of it when I get it back. I can't claim all of the damage some is from the PO but no doubt I contributed to it. I was having a lot of problems with stalling last year at low speeds and as you would come into the dock....it would stall and lose power then you would have to quickly get it started again and throw it into reverse to avoid collsions...also leaving the dock you had to leave at higher speed than normal to keep it from stalling. The prop took the brunt of it. Rebuilt carb seems to have solved a lot of those problems. I know I will be sick the first time i bring it in and bang it up.

87SunSportMikeyD
03-29-2010, 01:42 PM
NICE! HEHE you can see the bright new brass where it is scraped. That's not SO bad! I folded one of my blades over CRY!

If you have a 12" diam prop you need more info before making a move. Generally you can't increase the diameter much at all or you risk hitting the boat hull (or vibrations or burn marks on the hull, etc.).

First thing I would check is your trans to make sure it is 1:1. Lots of SunSports are a 1:1.23 or something else and they often have larger diam props and those ones are where you are ok to get into a four-blade prop. Call JT he is awesome and they will hook it up.

jzelt
03-29-2010, 01:56 PM
Ouch. I have heard that about Chautauqua on the south side.

My boss has a place on the lake and I saw his dock once.

Like you said, you can jump in and walk the boat to the dock 15 - 20 ft from shore.

Any chance you can "dredge" with a rake or something when it is waist deep to clear a path for the prop?

chautauquasun
03-30-2010, 12:42 PM
We are right in the middle between the bridge and Ferry on the Stow side. This is the narrowest part of the lake and I think in the middle it may have a max depth of 15 feet. Our dock comes our 100 feet from shore and is still below your waist. Going out another 20-30 fee of dock maybe a better answer, then it maybe at waist high or a little higher. Could dredge but it is so muddy and silty that it wouldnt take long for it fill in.

I maybe stopping short of the dock and walking it in...now that the prop is all nice and new. Like I said...first time I ding it I know I will be sick.:D

chautauquasun
03-30-2010, 12:43 PM
I see you are in Western PA....where do you run your boat?

87SunSportMikeyD
03-31-2010, 10:13 AM
Chaut I do the same. 100' dock and waist high. Boat lift last year had to be 50' pas the dock DOH! I drive untill about 1000 feet from shore then cut it and drift. I can drift in pretty close to the dock and she will float up to the dock for unloading without hitting. However sometimes when we are loading up and too many people in the back and the prop or rudder can grind in the sand, not good reall.y...