PDA

View Full Version : I need a long board. Which one?

KG's Supra24
03-29-2010, 10:45 PM
So we got our first trip out last weekend and surfed for the first time. We are starting on a hyperlite swell hoping we could pick it up quick. Going a little slower than we had hoped. We are thinking we need a long board to start and one for the boat for beginners.

Any recommendations? We want a long board. Doesn't have to be beginner dedicated. Just a good board that's easy to cruise on.

TayTay
03-30-2010, 09:44 AM
I started on, and still ride, a CWB Ride. It is 5'3" and very easy to ride. It has three removable fins in the back and a removable fin in the front. I really like the board.

87SunSportMikeyD
03-30-2010, 11:55 AM
We use a Hyperlite Broadcast for the beginner board. The Landlock is okay too, great for newbs but not much use after the can stand up. Inland Surfer Blue or Red get good reviews. I have used an ocean surf board but newbs tend to kick it into the back of the boat DOH!

KG's Supra24
03-30-2010, 01:12 PM
My buddy put a scratch on my brand new (to me) boat this weekend with te board!!!! I was ready to kill him!! Should buff out.

I see the cwb ride has a rubber guard on the front. :)

OneCent
03-31-2010, 03:20 PM
I just ordered a Hyperlite Broadcast 4.9 for our first tries... i hope we wont get too frustrated with it.

ScottnAz
03-31-2010, 04:29 PM
Any recommendations? We want a long board. Doesn't have to be beginner dedicated. Just a good board that's easy to cruise on.
Does it have to fit in a regular wakeboard rack? If you have a surf rack, then I'd recommend the CWB RAZR. It's a good board for all levels. My older daughter is learning on this board instead of the broadcast we have. Heck, everyone rides the RAZR, and the only time the broadcast gets ridden is when I am out there surfing doubles with my 6 year old daughter. The Blue Lake from Inland is a good board for all levels too.

We also have a I.S. Woody, which would definitely qualify as a long board that's good for just cruising. Although, this board has a tendency for pearling, which I don't understand because it's such a long and buoyant board. This board also need a surf board specific rack.

Regular wakeboard rack, I'd probably go with the 5.6 Broadcast for a good board. Or the CWB Ride. Inland Surfer has a new board out this season, that fits the wakeboard racks (I believe), called the Squirt. Looks like it could be a good all around board, and it's made by Inland, so you can't go wrong there.

Heck, what's your budget? Have you looked around for anything used?

I just ordered a Hyperlite Broadcast 4.9 for our first tries... i hope we wont get too frustrated with it.
The Broadcast is a good board to have around, I'm sure it will work out well for you and your crew. Why'd you choose the 4.9 instead of 5.6?

KG's Supra24
03-31-2010, 10:28 PM
Dang Scott, a couple hours late. I got too antzy and went ahea and ordered. Plus I really wanted it by next weekend. I went back and forth on the ride and the rzr but felt like the rzr was just a bit more advanced than I was looking for. Sounds like it might have been just right. Oh well, from what I hve read, here and othe places, the ride should do the trick.

I do have a surf rack plus the z5 as if that matters now

between the swell and the ride we shoul have a decent variety altough I'm sure I'll want another by the end of summer. Seems like no one has just 1 board. Haven't heard much on the swell around here but it seemed to be a good skim style when I ordered.

ScottnAz
03-31-2010, 11:03 PM
Hey, I try.... sometimes

I'm sure you'll be happy with the Ride, congrats on the new board
Be sure to post up some pics after next weekend

OneCent
04-01-2010, 03:47 PM
The Broadcast is a good board to have around, I'm sure it will work out well for you and your crew. Why'd you choose the 4.9 instead of 5.6?

There was no real reason, that comes from my preference for shorter Snowboards, but as longer as i'm thinking about it was maybe not my best decision.

ScottnAz
04-02-2010, 10:57 AM
There was no real reason, that comes from my preference for shorter Snowboards, but as longer as i'm thinking about it was maybe not my best decision.

I, too, like the shorter boards. What's the weight range of the riders?
I'm sure you guys will be fine with the 4.9, it may just take a little more time to get comfortable with the wave.

87SunSportMikeyD
04-02-2010, 11:18 AM
I think having several boards really adds to the variety and fun of surfing. Wakeboard I just want one perfect, consistant board.

I'm trying to think how long out Broadcast is, I think maybe 5'4"?? From 2008.

dusty2221
04-02-2010, 11:20 AM
I've got the broadcast also, I have the shorter version from 08 I believe. I know it's white and yellow. I've had a lot of fun on it, and we have taught several people that have never been behind a boat before on it.

ScottnAz
04-02-2010, 11:40 AM
shorter 08' Broadcast
http://www.wakeworld.com/products/images/products/detail_17_53_13_4290.jpg

I picked up an 05' Broadcast 5.6 on Craigslist at the beginning of last summer for like $25 to add as a boat board. Nobody rides it except when I'm riding doubles with my 6 year old daughter. She says it's her board because there's a mermaid on it.
http://www.wakeworld.com/products/images/products/detail_17_37_20_2610.jpg

dusty2221
04-02-2010, 11:45 AM
^That 08 Broadcast is exactly what I have.

I didn't realize it was such a learners board though...what is a recommended step up that stays surf style?

ScottnAz
04-02-2010, 12:14 PM
It's almost over whelming how many options are out there for surf boards. I'd say that I'm surf style too, and pretty aggressive.

I'll say it again, I really like the CWB RAZR. When I occasionally ride the Broadcast, it just feels a little slow and unresponsive to me now. I think it's a great board to learn and progress on, but there comes a time when you're looking to do a little more. The Razr, to me, was a couple steps up. It's a faster board, and you can really dig-in and slaysh the wave aggressively. There have been many people riding this board on my boat that have had the board just slip out from under them because they weren't expecting the speed of the board.
http://www.wakeworld.com/products/images/products/detail_17_56_45_4643.jpg

Inland Surfer came out with a new board this year called the Squirt, that looks to be a very good board. While I haven't seen it in person, or ridden it, the specs look to be very similar to the Razr. The main difference, to me, is the fact the Razr is made a little more like a traditional surfboard with a more progressive edge because it's a hand shaped surf core board. While the Squirt has a compression edge that'll be more like a wakeboard edge.
http://www.inlandsurfer.com/shop/cw3/assets/product_full/squirt-lg2.jpg

The progressive edge will hold the board to the wave without creating drag. The compression is probably a little more durable, but, may be a little more like the edge of a broadcast. I'd say the Squirt is a step up from the Broadcast, and the Razr is a couple steps up. I surfed the Razr until I was ready to pickup a Walker board, if that means anything.

There are some other great boards from Inland that I'd love to ride. The Swallow looks to be a good board, although, I think it'd be a little too long and not as fast as I'd like. There's also the Sweet Spot that looks to be a very fast and responsive board. I was actually torn between the Sweet and the Walker board last summer when I was ordering a new board.

There's a new board out this summer that I was looking at last week at the dealer. Seems to be a good surf style board, although, the price point wasn't impressive. The name will come to me, I don't recall right now.

What's the weight range of your riders, and how aggressive are you?

dusty2221
04-02-2010, 12:18 PM
The lightest is my wife and her friends all around 115. I'm 175, with the absolute heaviest person to potentailly surf, he is 205. I'm sure he's stick with the Broadcast. Most likely, myself and one other friend would be the only ones one the new board. I think everyone else is happy just "riding the wave"

ScottnAz
04-02-2010, 01:15 PM
Here's some ride shots of the Razr, I'm usually around 195-210 (depending on what beer I have on tap), and my buddy in the 1st picture is probably 165-170(?), and an ocean surfer.
A couple things to consider about this board, it's more delicate than a traditional mass produced board because it is made more like a surfboard. After a couple seasons, it did start to show some stress cracks and impressions from the rack. And that leads me to a second point. It's too thick for most wakeboard racks, so you'd need a surf specific rack. The more vertically you can store the board, the better, as that will put less pressure/stress on the board from the rack forks. I didn't know/do this until I ordered my Walker board, but is what I am attributing the minor blems on my CWB board to.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n315/woodwrangler/PICT0007.jpg
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n315/woodwrangler/sc.jpg
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n315/woodwrangler/CWB1.jpg