PDA

View Full Version : V-Drive Oil Change/ Tranny Question

dusty2221
03-30-2010, 09:46 AM
So last night I was getting ready to go ahead and change the V-Drive Oil, but ran into a snag. The seems completely idiotic, but for the life of me I could not get the "oil fill/vent" cap off of the v drive. I can get the top to turn, but I think that is just the "vent" part of the cap turning, not the actual cap coming out. I tried for about 10 minutes and it got dark, but I would really like to finish it when I get home. Any body else have this issue?

Also, regarding the Tranny, I used the new pump to suck out the ATF, and it sucked out exactly 1 quart. The fluid looked good, but I went ahead and put the exact amount back in. Here's the strange part, after re-filling with the exact amount, the dipstick shows nothing, not even a wet spot on the stick. I know for a fact 1 took 1 quart out and put 1 back in. Suggestions? Should I just take my other new quart to the lake with us the first time and let the boat get warm then check and add, or am I missing something?

LloydP
03-30-2010, 11:30 AM
If memory serves, the cap on the V drive just pulls straight out, no threads. At least on my '06 21V.

jzelt
03-30-2010, 11:45 AM
Right, Lloydp. On ours, I believe it is a rubber o-ring holding the cap/dipstick on with a "tight" fit.

For the tranny, mine actually reads a little high. I am waiting to run it this weekend for a few mins and then check to see if it went down. However, after reading the instructions again in the pdf manual, I need to run it to warm, then check it. And like the other post, probably at the "resting the dipstick" level, not screwing it in tight and then unscrewing level.

Not to be funny, but because the tube is way down inside on ours, are you sure you got the fluid in the tube? (rhetorical question to check). Transmission I think takes 2 qts for 2004 ZF Hurth.

dusty2221
03-30-2010, 12:19 PM
For the V-drive, yes the dipstick just presses in. However, according to the Manual, the fill hole thread in. The dipstick hole is a tiny 1/4 inch or less hole, I don't see how anyone could refill from the dipstick hole on the v-drive.

McDye
03-30-2010, 01:09 PM
For the V-drive, yes the dipstick just presses in. However, according to the Manual, the fill hole thread in. The dipstick hole is a tiny 1/4 inch or less hole, I don't see how anyone could refill from the dipstick hole on the v-drive.

I could not remove the vent and used the dipstick hole....small funnel and sloooow pouring.

dusty2221
03-30-2010, 02:05 PM
At least I am not the only one with the issue. I'm assuming you had the same outcome? The vent cap will turn and turn and turn.....and turn.....but thats it?

Did you drain it from the plug on the bottom or suck it out?

jzelt
03-30-2010, 02:22 PM
I sucked out thru the dipstick hole and to refill, I used an oil can with the squeeze handle and moveable nozzle.

dusty2221
03-30-2010, 02:26 PM
My pump did not want to pump it out last night, then again, with a shorter lead hose and output hose it might work better.

McDye
03-30-2010, 09:48 PM
I use a battery suction pump, it is a jabsoc pump on 2.5 gallon pail.. can do all 3 cold or hot fuilds in less then 15min.

iwakeboard
03-30-2010, 11:19 PM
on my 24SSV that bottom bolt is a complete pain in the @$$ to get out/in.

LloydP
03-31-2010, 07:32 AM
I use the same technique as McDye. Much patience required...

dusty2221
03-31-2010, 09:33 AM
I'll give it one more try tonight maybe. I think the suction problem was beacuse I had to taper down from a 3/8 hose that my pump takes, to a hose that fit inside the 3/8 hose, then to a hose that fit inside that hose. I thing betwe nthe junctions that hose ended up being 3 feet, which in reality it only needs to be about 1 ft. But hell, I have about 10 funnels, all sizes, and I don't have one near small enough to refill it!