PDA

View Full Version : Supra Saltare Sea Water Strainer, any pictures?

suprava10
03-30-2010, 11:02 PM
Hey guys,

So the Saltare I bought (thanks again beerbarge for the find!) was a freshwater boat however I will be boating in the bay and would like to add a sea water strainer. Does anyone have any pictures of their setup? I will be ordering all of my parts from Skidim but I just want to know where and how people mounted their system. Do you have to put it below the waterline or above it?

Any help would be great, thanks!!:cool:

Chris

Salty87
04-02-2010, 09:22 AM
mine's above the waterline. the water pump will pull water through it above the waterline. you really want it above so you can clean the strainer on the water if necessary.

you can see the strainer in this pic. i have it laying on its side to clear the engine cover...the white top before the transmission cooler....

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a10/salty87/DSCF0131.jpg?t=1270214497

Okie Boarder
04-02-2010, 09:33 AM
Sorry to hijack for a second...

Salty,

What is that silver strip where your carpet goes into the bilge a little bit?

87SunSportMikeyD
04-02-2010, 10:12 AM
Salty stop showing off that clean engine and bilge would ya? No way I can compete with that!

Salty87
04-02-2010, 10:18 AM
one thing i'd add for the OP...you probably will need a new intake hose. when they're old and brittle, it's near impossible to get the plastic barbed fittings into the hose.

okie...nice eye...i bought some aluminum thresholds to hold the loose end of carpet down. it worked pretty good. i've been watching your thread a bit. looking great. i wouldn't worry about leaving foam out. i haven't noticed any noise increase with less foam than original. i can't keep up with all of the action on the board lately!

mikey...come on, get in there and wax on/wax off!

Okie Boarder
04-02-2010, 10:30 AM
Just basic aluminum thresholds from Lowes or Depot type thing?

Salty87
04-02-2010, 10:34 AM
i'm pretty sure home cheapo. they haven't started looking bad yet. there's so much less moisture in the boat now, things last alot longer.

87SunSportMikeyD
04-02-2010, 10:39 AM
Boards are blowin up you gotta love it! I haven't been really browsing WW as much lately...

suprava10
04-02-2010, 11:58 PM
wow salty exactly what I needed!! I went ahead and bought all new water hose so I will be good to go...strainer came today so I will be ready by the weekend!

One question salty, does the orientation of the strainer (horizontal vs vertical) matter?

Chris:D:D:D:D

Salty87
04-03-2010, 11:15 AM
it doesn't make too much difference with the exception of cleaning the filter while the boat's in the water. it'll dump in the bilge if it's horizontal and it won't be clean water either. i've never needed to clean it but i've been on a friend's boat when he had to clean his out. then again, i wouldn't have run my boat through the minefield of junk he ran his through.

suprava10
04-03-2010, 12:36 PM
Great thanks Salty!!

Chris

saltare inverts
04-04-2010, 11:10 PM
For anyone adding a strainer, I found the exact same brand, model as SKIDIM sells at tractor supply. The kicker is it was half price at Tractor Supply. Yes it was stainless steel and just like SKIDIM.

techsledder
04-05-2010, 11:48 AM
For anyone adding a strainer, I found the exact same brand, model as SKIDIM sells at tractor supply. The kicker is it was half price at Tractor Supply. Yes it was stainless steel and just like SKIDIM.

Sweet! I need the same; the PO hadn't had one in. I'll need some new hoses as well for this year. I'm going to pull the old girl out of storage tonight after work and start making the laundry list...