PDA

View Full Version : My New 87 Sunsport!

DGREEN
03-31-2010, 01:36 AM
Well, I'm one happy man! Just recently purchased my 1st boat and couldn't be any happier with my choice! I scored a beautifully cared for and reworked Sunsport. The fella I bought the boat from took meticulous care of the boat and performed a massive amount of work all professionally done. The stringers and floor have all been handled as well as new beautiful interior all done 2 seasons ago. The boat also has plumbed ballast, 50 gallons under the back seat and 50 more upfront, its a great start (I'm a surfer, so gonna need a bit more). Great samson tower and a raging stereo, amps subs the whole deal. The trailer is in pretty rough shape, but I'm working on that as well as all of the teak which I've pulled off and already sanding down. The boat is full of great details, ipod jack added, LED lights on both amps and over all cabin speakers, dual batteries, electric ignition, new exhaust and a heater. Just super stoked on this badboy! 500 hours so just gettin broke in. I've been loving this forum, everyone is full of incredible info. I've also buffed her out and getting ready to pull off the rubrail and install new ones. I'll keep the forum up to date on the progress and be updating pics as the work is completed. Here are a few shots of the boat the day I bought her. Enjoy!

csuggs
03-31-2010, 06:06 AM
SWEET BOAT!!! Man, that's a real beauty. Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum! :cool:

michael hunter
03-31-2010, 10:22 AM
Thats a keeper congrats. Welcome to the forum.

87SunSportMikeyD
03-31-2010, 11:53 AM
DGreen I am proud to award you the Find of the Year award, congratulations!!! Do you mind sharing how much she was? The interior looks GREAT!!!! Kewl u got a heater! The trailer looks stock, it is a nice trailer very stable and no wobble on the road.

About the ballast I used a 750 surf sac FlyHigh on the floor for surfing. I also added a 350lb sac in the rear ski locker. If you have the 1:1 trans look into the ACME 911 10.5 x 13 3 blade prop from nettleprops.com for about $350.

dusty2221
03-31-2010, 12:24 PM
Great find, she's a beauty!

DGREEN
03-31-2010, 12:32 PM
Thanks a lot! I paid 9k for her but they were asking 12k. After crunching the numbers, I knew I couldn't even get close to that number with all of the work done, the previous owner had 17k in her! So feeling blessed for sure. That's great to know about the ballast, I've seen your photos you've got surfing behind your boat and that fired me right up! I was stoked to see someone surfing a legitamate wave behind a boat like mine! Good work! I'm sure I'll be asking tons of questions as I tune in my surf wake. As for props, my boat has a brand new 4 blade, not sure of the pitch, and a back up 3 blade, I'll have to do some research and find out the pitch. Ya, the trailer is super solid, just needs some TLC. All of the carpet and plywood is pretty rough and rotten, so I've pulled it off and gonna rework it, as well as the lighting. Trying to get all of the work done before the water and air starts warming up, although i've already been out 3 times! Thanks a lot for the comments!

Okie Boarder
03-31-2010, 12:44 PM
Very nice. It would be great if you could snap some more pics. I'd love to see placement of audio equipment and ballast.

dshaff24
03-31-2010, 05:15 PM
Wow that is one clean sunsport! Nice find! love the interior

tg0824SSVGG
03-31-2010, 05:18 PM
Very nice!

DGREEN
04-01-2010, 01:41 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments, I will definately keep posting pics of the boat and the completion of projects as they happen. Put in some good time on the trailer today, so I should have some fresh pics for later tomorrow. It's great to find a group so stoked about Supras~

Graeme
04-03-2010, 11:44 PM
:D

Love it.

DGREEN
04-17-2010, 05:57 PM
Alright, sorry for the really long delay, but here are some more photos of my boat. I've been busy cleaning and buffing! I've done a full interior detail including the bilge, I've buffed out the gelcoat with the 3m rubbing compound to remove the oxidization and i've also pulled off all the teak and actually stripped it and treated it with Teak Guard(photos to soon follow) it's looking sweet!! Took her out yesterday and she made me proud! I need to give her a good tune up though, I have a little hesitation on take off, i think i've got some water in the fuel and maybe even under the distributer cap, so I'm gonna treat the fuel and give her a full tune up. Not sure if i've said it yet, but I love my boat!!

saltare inverts
04-17-2010, 06:20 PM
Love the boat, Ill give you 9100 for her. Ha, you got a steal. Its like a 45000 boat for a lot less. Going to make some Supra owners think about boat payments differently. Keeps posting pics please.

mapleleaf
04-17-2010, 08:46 PM
Gidde up...that thing looks great.....
Get those trailer guides back on there will ya???

DGREEN
04-18-2010, 12:17 AM
Hey Saltare Inverts, Ya, I have a freind with a newer launch and he told me he's jealous of my old Sunsport! It is nice not having a big ol payment for sure. I will indeed keep posting pics. Taking the boat out again tomorrow with the family, so I'll try to snap some photos on the water. Don't worry Mapleleaf, I keep taking those guides off to recarpet them but just end up putting em right back on to launch! I finally gave up until I can leave the boat on the water for a day and replace all the bunks. Going with black carpet this time.

johndoe777
04-18-2010, 12:21 AM
i was looking at the same boat... you beat me to it . hope you have fun with it

dshaff24
04-19-2010, 02:05 AM
I believe If there was an award for the best looking /set up 1st gen sunsport you would have won!

I want to see some pics on the water!! Do you know what kind of tower it has? It matches PERFECT to the boat!

One thing I am curious about, Where the gunwhales screw down to the floor? It looks like they might have layed a floor over the old floor? Any chance you asked about the stringers b4 your purchase? or even just checked the to see if the mounting bolts are tight?

mapleleaf
04-19-2010, 07:36 AM
Hey Saltare Inverts, Ya, I have a freind with a newer launch and he told me he's jealous of my old Sunsport! It is nice not having a big ol payment for sure. I will indeed keep posting pics. Taking the boat out again tomorrow with the family, so I'll try to snap some photos on the water. Don't worry Mapleleaf, I keep taking those guides off to recarpet them but just end up putting em right back on to launch! I finally gave up until I can leave the boat on the water for a day and replace all the bunks. Going with black carpet this time.

I slept soo much better after my bunks were replaced, probably the best, cheapest repair job I've done yet.......Found the bunk carpet at Bass Pro, prolly could'a found it cheaper somewhere else!!!!

saltare inverts
04-19-2010, 09:04 AM
You will get this, I know I do, people always think my boat is a 2000 or something. I love to say no its 24 years old.

DGREEN
04-19-2010, 10:41 AM
dshaff, No worries, they actually just laid the carpet over the gunwall base. You can see the rise in person. The mounting bolts are tight, one of the 1st thing I checked. The guy that did the work on the boat actually lives like 20 minutes from me, he did everything, the floor,carpet, interior, LEDs, Ipod, Jack Electric ignition. He does unreal work! The stringers are solid, the whole thing has been gone through in the past 5 years. I have to say anyone living in the Seattle area, if you need work done to your boat, Dennis Parcells from Mini Max Marine Kills It! He's up by Lake Goodwin. Also, about the tower, it is a Samson Tower, they are SWEET! Fully collapsable, I'll upload a pic of it broken down.

87sunsport454
04-19-2010, 02:56 PM
Nice buy Dgreen. I was looking at this boat when it was for sale on craigslist. I have the same boat (different color) and I was trying to get some ideas on what to do on mine. I like that on the engine cover they got rid of the old teak door and put in clear glass w/tint. Nice touch.

dshaff24
04-19-2010, 08:07 PM
I got a questions for ya, Where the Wooden trim use to be what did the previous owner do to remove the holes from all the screws? And is it painted? Im just asking because im actaully filling mine and was going to either cover it with hydroturf or paint the whole inside a brighter white

DGREEN
04-19-2010, 11:21 PM
87SS454, It's amazing how many WA folks seem to be on this forum, I guess we just know a good boat when we see one huh? Ya, the previous owner was a great guy, i talked with him for a long time and visited the boat 3 times, once being an hour long test drive. He was super detailed and just loved the boat. It really shows. He wanted to move on to a V-drive and I'm glad he did, because I'm proud to be the next owner of this great boat. The Supra Glass is super cool, he kinda gave Dennis Parcels from Mini Max Marine a green light on the interior and he actually came up with that idea as well as a lot of the other interior details. I'm glad you already had a boat you love, or I may not have been able to buy it! Ur boat is sweet by the way!!

DGREEN
04-19-2010, 11:28 PM
dshaff24, I you refering to the teak strips on the inside of the gunwalls, or the rails on top of the gunwalls? As for the interior ones, I'm not really sure, there are no existing holes on the lower section near the speakers, and the vinyl is all new, so the portion that once had the teak strip was completely removed. As for the top, I just completed the sanding and refinishing of all that teak and currently I'm replacing the 1 inch teak spacers with 1 inch brushed aluminum pieces, so I hope I answered your question, if not let me know.

DGREEN
04-20-2010, 12:13 AM
Here's a few more pics, shows the tower laid down to put her to rest for a while and also the swim step all finished up.

dshaff24
04-20-2010, 01:22 AM
Here's a few more pics, shows the tower laid down to put her to rest for a while and also the swim step all finished up.

I was talking about the wood trim that goes around the back top of the hull!

Your swim platform looks great, re teak? or stain?

johndoe777
04-20-2010, 02:06 AM
what did you use for the teak

87sunsport454
04-20-2010, 05:30 PM
When I redid mine about 6 years ago I used a TEAK OIL on the wood. It turned out just like his swim deck, same color. You just have to sand all the little noocks and crainies, kind of a pain in the butt. Although worth it as you can see. As far as maintenace I just grab a rag and a little bit teak oil and run over the strips and the swim deck and it keeps it looking brand new every year.

DGREEN
04-21-2010, 12:02 AM
I actually used a product called Teak Guard. I have numerous friends with boats nearly all of them as particular as me with their stuff(especially boats!) and none were satisfied with the constant upkeep of teak oil. It would always look sweet and then in a month or so start fading, so I did a ton of research on line and even Wake World and found out about Teak Guard, it has great reviews, and they guarantee it for a year without maintenance. It goes on just like oil and doesn't seal it like a varnish, which always ends up cracking, because of all the natural teak oil. So, we will see, so far i'm stoked on it...I'll keep you all updated in the months to come.

87SunSportMikeyD
04-22-2010, 11:33 AM
DGREEN I also did lots of wakeworld research for teak and tried the teak guard last spring. It works great and the shine is awesome, but it doesn't last a full season even in MN unfortunatly. Reapply once though midseason and you should be set. I really slathered it on :)

As for the prop I talked to ACME and JT at NettleProps.com and they taught me a couple things. To tell if you should use a 3-blade or 4-blade prop, look at the trans and the stock prop. You generally want a 3-blade if the trans is 1:1 and the stock prop is a xx by 13" diam (pitch doesnt matter for this excercise). If your trans is anything else like 1:1.25, etc, and your stock prop is diameter greater than 13", then you will gain benefit from the added blade surface area and blade rpms. If not, you may experience cavitation or other issues.

The recommended prop for most '86 - 88 SunSports with 1:1 trans and 13"diam is the ACME#913 10.5 x 13". It is a great prop for a heavily weighted boat. Your max speed is reduced to about 35mph @ 4200rpm on my boat unweighted. Surfing with 1500lbs and crew of 5 she rips out the hole and is up to speed 11mph in about 5 seconds. Highly recommended and Nettles service and prices are great. Here is a link.

http://www.nettleprops.com/store/p/280-Acme-913-Propeller-3-Blade-13-X-10-5-LH-1-Bore-80-Cup-.aspx

DGREEN
04-23-2010, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the info WakeMikey, I'll do some research on the tranny and measure the old prop when I pull the boat out again. i have her all hunkered down right now, the weather is subpar here in the northwest. I'll let you know what I find out.

iLikeBoats
04-25-2010, 01:56 AM
how has the water been out on lake goodwin? we are getting our 87 saltare ready to go, we did a full interior refurbishing and we are hoping to get her out by the 2nd weekend in may!

iLikeBoats
04-25-2010, 01:59 AM
http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=6268

here is the link to my thread

DGREEN
04-25-2010, 04:29 PM
Ur boat is looking great! I've been popping in to check up on the progress, the black looks soo good. Goodwin has been pretty good, still super chilly. I've been out twice there, both for pretty short stints, really just getting familiar with my boat. I've been heading to Lake Stevens the last two times out, its like 10 minutes from my house and actually a lot bigger than Goodwin, but I've got freinds on Goodwin, so I'll be there plenty this summer. Ya, get that bad boy done and get er wet! I'll be keeping my eyes out for you guys!

dshaff24
04-25-2010, 11:53 PM
Any chance you got any pic on the water? You definitly got your self a sweet looking sunsport! I think I look at these pics 3 times a day lol

iLikeBoats
04-26-2010, 12:43 AM
Ur boat is looking great! I've been popping in to check up on the progress, the black looks soo good. Goodwin has been pretty good, still super chilly. I've been out twice there, both for pretty short stints, really just getting familiar with my boat. I've been heading to Lake Stevens the last two times out, its like 10 minutes from my house and actually a lot bigger than Goodwin, but I've got freinds on Goodwin, so I'll be there plenty this summer. Ya, get that bad boy done and get er wet! I'll be keeping my eyes out for you guys!

Thanks man! You will probably see us out on the water A LOT this summer...I like goodwin tho just cuz it is a smaller lake and usually a bit warmer in the summer...there are just so many people on stevens in the summer time...but yea, we just finished all of the bow seats and the dog house! it looks totally clutch!

DGREEN
04-26-2010, 11:43 PM
dshaff24, man, I don't have any water pics yet, I gotta get some. I'm just always so stoked to be on my boat, I forget to have someone take a photo! Maybe this weekend, hopefully the weather will cooperate. Thanks for the props on my boat, I'm with you, I constantly am checking out the photos i have on my phone of the boat, my wife thinks I'm crazy! I was happy to show her your post! let her know I'm not alone!! Can't wait to see your boat finished, it's gonna be sweet.

DGREEN
04-26-2010, 11:47 PM
iLikeBoats, I'll be looking for you, is your boat Black and white? I haven't seen a full exterior shot yet, I'll be looking for you guys. Are you gonna get a tower? All this info will help my searching eyes. Ya, Goodwin is great, like I said, I have a bunch of friends up there and have logged some serious hours on that lake.

iLikeBoats
04-27-2010, 03:31 AM
D-
Its blue and light great, just like salty's87, i dont know if we will have the tower yet, but, we should have our new supra decal on the side. its the one on zdecals.com, its called backwoods.

87SunSportMikeyD
04-27-2010, 10:27 AM
Hah you think you are alone? I have obsessivly logged hundreds of pics and vids over the last two years lol people in my boat hate it when I get out the camera and make them film more ME ME ME hahahaha

DGREEN
04-29-2010, 12:40 AM
Mikey, love it! I'm glad ur always shootin photos we all appreciate fresh pics on the forum!! Loaded up my current ballast the other day and its an all right start, but def. gonna need that 750 on the floor and a 350 in the locker just as you suggested. Got a friend with a sick new sanger and all he does is surf and he has choke fat sacs and pumps, so we are gonna experiment this month. I'll let you know what I find out.

DGREEN
05-03-2010, 12:10 AM
OK, got the machine all tuned up yesterday and totally cleaned up the motor and really scrubbed the bilge, looks sooo much better. Did an oil change as well, so im all set and ready to roll! I took her out today, despite the crappy cold rainy weather! Gosh the NW can be brutal on the boater!! It was worth every bit of cold rain, man that bad boy charged! She ran sooo good, I just had to know if the tune up would clear up the hesitation.

DGREEN
05-03-2010, 12:15 AM
SSMIKEY, so about that prop, I checked on my tranny and yes it is a velvet drive 1:1, but I have absolutely no vibration with the 4 blade and it seems to leap outta the hole, so I guess we'll see. I have so many things to buy for summer, I hate to replace a brand new prop....I had it pegged today and it managed to about 37 or so mph, about what I expected. Let me know ur thoughts. Also, Im looking at getting a pair of those kicker kmt6's and I see you've got them, I've heard outstanding reviews, what are your thoughts?

DGREEN
05-03-2010, 12:19 AM
Dshaff, back to a the question you had about the rail.....ive been thinking about your idea since and looking at my boat with out the teak rails and I gotta say, I'm with you on getting rid of em. It doesn't make a whole lotta sense to put them on, they would just be in the way. With surfing and all, I've always got guys sitting on the back for added weight, plus just the ease of sliding on and off the swim step. i think my remedy, is gonna be to grab some shorter stainless screws and finish washers.

87SunSportMikeyD
05-03-2010, 01:16 PM
Hey again. If you don't have any issues with the prop, I dont see any reason not to use it. Maybe Nettles could tell you more than I can. Basically they said a four-blade is recommended if you can do a bigger diameter blade. Once the blades get bigger, you gain a lot more surface area by having four blades.

You might need to look closely at the rear ski locker. Mine is fiberglassed and I can stand in it with very little flex. Some people with plastic lockers removed them completly and made a platform over the gas tank, using wood.

I have also been considering buying a hard tank to go under the rear bench seat, like they do on newer Supra Launch models. I posted a thread with ordering info in the Mods forum.

I do like the KickerKMT6. For $250 for a pair I dont think there is anything that can compare IMHO. It is true that the sound is not as loud and slightly more trebly than a $1000 set of tower speakers. But not five-times louder, and on my budget I am very happy with them.

DGREEN
05-03-2010, 11:26 PM
I actually have a hard tank under my bench, kinda nice. I'm thinking about doing lead instead of a sack to save on space, we'll see, just weighing the options.

DGREEN
07-06-2010, 01:44 AM
All right, after a longggggg absence from my own thread, I'm back with some long awaited water shots!! Hopefully this is just a taste of what's to come, since summer is finally hitting the NW.

Sunapee Sunsport
07-06-2010, 09:33 AM
Looks like a great boat welcome to the club.

Sunapee Sunsport
07-06-2010, 09:40 AM
Best Teak product I have ever used and swear by is Teaque. This product is a combination of an oil , pigment and sealer. I used it on my entire boat inside and out. I only add two counts a year to the swim platform. Also I have a large duck population that likes to sleep on the platform and leave things behind. Wood is protected and not affected by their dropings. Check out photos on my page.

dshaff24
07-06-2010, 11:50 PM
All right, after a longggggg absence from my own thread, I'm back with some long awaited water shots!! Hopefully this is just a taste of what's to come, since summer is finally hitting the NW.

Sweet pics

csuggs
07-07-2010, 04:09 PM
Very, very nice. :cool:

DGREEN
05-03-2011, 12:45 AM
Hey everybody! I'm finally back around and despite the hideous Northwest weather my mind has once again shifted back to the boat! I've got a couple of questions that I know I've read the answers to somewhere in the depths of the forum, but not sure where! 1st I wanna get some newer supra launch decals where do you guys get em? Second, I've got to get a Bimini for the kiddos this season, any ideas? Thanks everyone!

dshaff24
05-03-2011, 07:38 PM
Hey everybody! I'm finally back around and despite the hideous Northwest weather my mind has once again shifted back to the boat! I've got a couple of questions that I know I've read the answers to somewhere in the depths of the forum, but not sure where! 1st I wanna get some newer supra launch decals where do you guys get em? Second, I've got to get a Bimini for the kiddos this season, any ideas? Thanks everyone!

Best place to get them is from a supra dealer.. or viper... Or have a place that does wraps have them made.. as for a bimni Id search google under samson tower bimini and Id bet they have a direct bolt up for yours..

87SunSportMikeyD
05-04-2011, 01:46 PM
Nice pics, she looks GREAT! Would love to hear more about your rear bench seat hard tank. Is it the Supra Launch tank? or is there a brand name or part number? Since it fits so nice in yours, I would love to know more.

About the bimini, there is a great prices bimini on bulletlines.com http://www.bulletlines.com/Wakeboard-Tower-Bimini-s/39.htm I think or else I wrote a DIY thread about making your own out of standard floating bimini you can get for nearly free at ski-it-again.com

DGREEN
05-07-2011, 12:28 AM
Thanks for the info dshaff, I'll call the local supra dealer and Ive already looked at the Sampson biminis(spendy!) ur boat looks sooo sweet by the way. Hows ur swim step holding up by the way? I've seriously considered doing that.

DGREEN
05-07-2011, 12:33 AM
Wakemikey, thanks for the Bimini thoughts, I definitely like the idea of saving some dough on that portion of the boat since I never want to block the sun for myself!! Great for the kids though. As for my hard tank, I honestly don't have much info on it. I know the name and location of the gentleman who did the work, as soon as I meet with him this spring I'll dig for some info for you.

dshaff24
05-07-2011, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the info dshaff, I'll call the local supra dealer and Ive already looked at the Sampson biminis(spendy!) ur boat looks sooo sweet by the way. Hows ur swim step holding up by the way? I've seriously considered doing that.

Swim Deck is looking like new still.. They warranty it for life and I doubt its going to have any issues... Its some tough stuff www.lineX.com I been looking at bimini's for my little boy just cause the ol lady wants one... its 6 bills plus the 176$ to ship.. Ouch!

DGREEN
06-01-2011, 12:46 AM
Here's a few photos from last summer i've been meaning to upload.

DGREEN
06-01-2011, 12:48 AM
A few more. Now the weather just needs to shape up so I can do some more of this!!!!

DGREEN
06-01-2011, 01:00 AM
Ok, now that last summer's pics are out of the way, down to the newest projects. I've tackled that beast of a trailer i have and gave here fresh paint, new bunks, diamond plate and tongue jack! Plus I just rebuffed and waxed the whole boat and I peeled my big Supra decal, going with the "less is more" look. Swim step is pulled of in preparation for line-x next wkend as well as some fresh tints. I've ordered my new tower speaker cans from Bullet and swapping out the 10" sub for a better 12" and a new, larger sub amp. I also just ordered some black Gator Grip for the top of my gunwalls where I removed all of the original teak rails. This will cover all of the holes as well as give it stylish protection and traction for all. I also need to order my new stainless rubrail. By the way, how does this install vs the all plastic? Man!! I cannot wait to get on the water!!!!

Okie Boarder
06-01-2011, 12:13 PM
Looking good. I like that pic with the space needle in the background.

wotan2525
06-01-2011, 12:16 PM
Looking real good! There's some good youtube videos on how to install your rub rail. Get prepared for a LOT of drilling and screwing!

csuggs
06-01-2011, 12:36 PM
Looks great DGreen!!

DGREEN
06-02-2011, 12:50 AM
Thanks guys for the comments, as you all know its great to hear positive feedback on the boat! I'll do a youtube search on the rubrail install for sure. Supposed to have our first decent wkend this season, so the swim step and tints may have to wait!!

dshaff24
06-02-2011, 09:56 PM
Lookin good.. you know I stole your interior style and just added some more stripes! You get another tow rig? I thought you had a tacoma

DGREEN
06-02-2011, 10:08 PM
Ya, I noticed the stripes and think they look great! I did get a new tow rig, all of my heavy trailers for work required it, and it really tugs the boat easy as well.