PDA

View Full Version : PCM 1.23:1 Tranny Fluid

Memmer99
04-02-2010, 12:52 PM
I searched the forum but found a lot of different answers...

I am about to change my transmission oil on my 89 SunSport. I have the 1.23:1 PCM tranny. I was just wondering what type of fluid to use and how much does it usually take?

This is my second season with the boat so I am doing a full tune up and the tranny is the last thing on my list. So far I have changed.

-Impeller
-Both Belts
-Fuel filter
-Engine Oil and Filter
-Spark Plugs
-Converted to Electronic Ignition
-Distributor Cap and a new Coil

Have I missed anything that may still need attention?

Parts I have on order...
-Both pitots
-Trailer Winch Strap (cheap insurance)
-650 lb sac for the rear ski locker
-750lb surf sac
-Johnson Ultra Ballast Reversible Pump

michael hunter
04-04-2010, 09:00 AM
According to the 89 PCM manual you should use Dexron type A transmission fluid. I like the synthetic trans fluid but that's just me. Have you changed your spark plug wires? You can get original PCM wires from skidim.

Memmer99
04-04-2010, 11:33 PM
Michael, thanks for the reply. I did check my wires and they looked good so I decided not to buy new ones this year. Looks like my tranny fluid is red (it's leaking in the bilge area) so I guess the PO converted to the dexron fluid at some point. The leak looks like it is comming from the bottom mid section of the transmission. Hopefully I can get some time next weekend so i can pin point the leak. Do you happen to know how much fluid it takes? I just want to know how many quarts to buy. Thanks again for your reply.