PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Swim platform rubrail install

Fman
04-02-2010, 08:25 PM
Just finished my swim platform rubrail install on my '08. The '08's came with a grab handle which I removed and sold and ordered the rubrail they are using on the 2010 models now. I have included some pictures of the finished project. Total cost was about $130 which included the stainless bolts/washers/locking nuts/plastic caps I had to order.

I have included a step by step on how I did it.

1. First remove the old grab handle

2. Your rub rail will come with stainless sheetmetal screws, stainless strip and rubber under piece. You will install the rubber piece first with the stainless screws. You need to mark dead center on the swim platform and rubber piece. Once you have it marked on both line up the piece of rubber, make sure and install in so the rubber lip is tucked up tightly against the bottom of the swim platform.

3. Pre-drill the holes before screwing in the stainless screws or you will crack the platform. You will need to space the screws out to be offset from the bolts from the stainless strip. Take a look at the picture and see how between each bolt there is a black mark (auto touch up paint) where the stainless screw was installed. The screws are from the rubber under piece and the bolts are from the stainless rub rail. Make sure and install the screws in the center of the rub rail so the stainless piece will cover them up.

4. After you have the rubber piece full installed and wrapped on the platform you are ready to install the stainless rub rail which lines up nicely on the piece of rubber. Your piece should be cut to length, I started in the middle and worked my way in each direction. Make sure you are dead center you dont come up over/short when it reaches the end.

5. I am not a big fan of stainless screws into fiberglass so I went to Ace hardware and bought some stainless 1 1/4" bolts/washers/locking nuts to replace the screws. Take down a sample screw to match up the length and size needed. I only used this on the stainless piece, the screws were fine for the rubber under piece. This is not a must, but it is so much better and will never come loose on you. It adds about $20-25 in install cost, but I think it is well worth it.

6. Again, pre-drill the holes and install the bolts/nuts/washers. I worked from center outward. You will need to put a little pressure on the corners to bend the stainless strip but its not too difficult.

7. After this is complete install your end caps, I had to go with 1 1/2" long bolts for these, the 1 1/4" were a little to short.

8. Next I cut off all the sheetmetal screw threads and grinded them down with a dremel tool. Try and cut them as close to the platform as possible, it will reduce the amount of grinding. A good pair of tin snips will take them right off. I found it easier to cut them off, grinding them was a little difficult and I hit the rubber rail on the underside a couple times. Thankfully its only noticeable if you are under the swim platform... doh! Make sure and do this so nobody cuts themself when grabbing onto the platform.

9. Once they are grinded down I used automotive paint and touched up the areas where it was grinded.

10. I also purchased plastic bolt caps to put onto the remaining threads sticking out on the bolts (red caps). Again to prevent anyone from getting scraped. People tend to want to grab the underside of the lip on the platform to pull them closer before they get up on the platform. Even though the bolts were not to sharp I would recommend also doing the caps for added protection.

Thats it, you are done. This should take about 1-2 hours, with going down to the hardware store to pick up your bolts and nuts.

Any questions feel free to send me a PM or message. I really think this looks fantastic when done, it really finishes off the swim platform and also adds a little protection from boards hitting it. I ordered all my parts from Viper Customs (865-388-4096) , ask for Jim Jackson he will take care of you.

Travis.....

ScottnAz
04-02-2010, 08:43 PM
Travis, would you STOP IT, already!!
You are costing me some serious money with all the cool mods you have come up with

Swim deck looks great! Much more finished and clean looking than the original!

tg0824SSVGG
04-02-2010, 09:26 PM
Yea Travis,

That's a mod I wanted since mine was new, but I didn't know viper would sell
the parts - when I first looked, you had to buy an entire ROLL of the stuff.

I am betting this will be on mine before long.

Thanks for the info, an pioneering the method!

We already have 1 side of the rails off - have since it was brand new, and
one of the grandkids feet got caught in the other one - they HAVE to go.

Todd

Fman
04-03-2010, 12:00 AM
Todd,

My dog almost broke his leg last year and got tangled up in it, it was taken off the next day. Honestly, I dont really miss the grab rail that much, and I definitely like the finished off look, it matches the lines of the rubrail on the boat very well.

Hopefully the write-up helps a little, when I recieved it I had no directions and was trying to put the rubber underlay piece and stainless rail on together at the same time.... not a great idea! I also did not realized the rubber underlay had a lip on it to go directly under the platform, and could not get it to bend properly! Finally, I called Jim and he gave me the proper method and it made it so much easier..... some directions would have been nice!

KY Steve
04-04-2010, 10:24 AM
Looks Great, thanks for the info. I'm in the process of doing the same thing for the exact problems with the kids and dog on the hand rail, just waiting for Jim at Viper to call me back so I can order.

I also took off the rubber mats that shrunk up, sanding the entire platform and coating it with Ultra Tuff rubber non-skid coating.

Fman
04-04-2010, 11:29 PM
Steve,

Before you apply that coating you might want to take a look at these (seadeck) , I have heard nothing but good things about them. If I ever replace mine I will definitely go this route. So far I have had no problems with my platform.

http://www.seadekstore.com/supra.aspx

KY Steve
04-05-2010, 08:17 AM
Steve,

Before you apply that coating you might want to take a look at these (seadeck) , I have heard nothing but good things about them. If I ever replace mine I will definitely go this route. So far I have had no problems with my platform

I looked into seadeck but the gel coat was kinda banged up around the edges of my platform. I filled everything in with epoxy and sanded down the entire platform so now its ready to prime, just waiting for the primer and coating to be delivered.

ScottnAz
07-05-2010, 11:09 PM
Well, after this weekend, this just moved up to the TOP of my list.
My 6 year old daughter got her foot caught in between the grab rail and swim deck when she was getting in the water. When her foot was yanked free as she fell, a big chunk of skin was torn off the bottom of her foot. Pretty much ruined the rest of the day for her. Could have been much worse, not willing to risk it anymore.

Has anybody tried to sqeeze their Supra dealer, or SC for the replacement parts to make up for this design flaw and liability? Also, any recommendations for alternative sources, as I'm not willing to wait the 6 months it will take to get the parts from Viper.....:rolleyes:

Fman
07-06-2010, 01:08 PM
My 6 year old daughter got her foot caught in between the grab rail and swim deck when she was getting in the water. When her foot was yanked free as she fell, a big chunk of skin was torn off the bottom of her foot. Pretty much ruined the rest of the day for her. Could have been much worse, not willing to risk it anymore.

Has anybody tried to sqeeze their Supra dealer, or SC for the replacement parts to make up for this design flaw and liability? Also, any recommendations for alternative sources, as I'm not willing to wait the 6 months it will take to get the parts from Viper.....:rolleyes:

Sorry to hear about your daughters foot, another option is to just remove it and fill in the holes with stainless washer/nut combo. This is what I did before I installed the new rubrail. Try contacting Matt Brown at SC, maybe they would send you the rubrail for free seeing as it caused damage to your daughters foot.

Hematoma
07-06-2010, 05:26 PM

Has anybody tried to sqeeze their Supra dealer, or SC for the replacement parts to make up for this design flaw and liability? Also, any recommendations for alternative sources, as I'm not willing to wait the 6 months it will take to get the parts from Viper.....:rolleyes:Yea Scott I can be a witness for you since I was at the scene, I'm missing 1 band-aid and an antiseptic wipe from my first aid kit. I'll expect full reimbursement from SC lol. Hope the little ones foot is better.

warek1814
07-06-2010, 11:12 PM
NICE!! Looks real clean like that.

saltare inverts
07-07-2010, 10:15 AM
It does look real clean and pretty. Problem I see is I tie my fish basket for my caught fish to that rail, if I take it of then what?

KY Steve
07-07-2010, 11:54 AM
It does look real clean and pretty. Problem I see is I tie my fish basket for my caught fish to that rail, if I take it of then what?

I just use the ice melter as a livewell :p

saltare inverts
07-07-2010, 08:47 PM
I love the name ice melter and as a live well even better.

mapleleaf
07-08-2010, 05:34 PM
Sushi might solve that fishy smell.......

KY Steve
07-09-2010, 10:29 AM
Sushi might solve that fishy smell.......

I can never catch the good sushi grade carp.

saltare inverts
07-15-2010, 05:49 PM
Fman. How is the rub rail holding up? I reviewed the pics again, it sure looks clean and sweet.

Fman
07-16-2010, 02:27 AM
Fman. How is the rub rail holding up? I reviewed the pics again, it sure looks clean and sweet.

So far its been great, its great not having to worry about peoples fingers getting pinched or stuck in the old rail system. Also acts as a great bumper for wakeboards. I like how after you put your board on you can slide off the edge of the platform and not have anything try and grab a finger.

ssmith
07-27-2010, 03:01 PM
I've had the same concerns with an ankle or whatever getting caught in there. Especially with my 2 daughters ( 5 yr old and 2 yr old). I took mine off yesterday and did this...total cost less than $15. It will work for now and I'll decided what I'm going to do for the long term later.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w126/scotties2006/Boating/SU1HMDAwMjktMjAxMDA3MjctMTMzOS5qcGc.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w126/scotties2006/Boating/SU1HMDAwMjgtMjAxMDA3MjctMTMzOC5qcGc.jpg

Fman
07-27-2010, 10:19 PM
Scott,

Great idea, looks finished off. What did you use to plug the holes?

mapleleaf
07-27-2010, 10:29 PM
Scott,

Great idea, looks finished off. What did you use to plug the holes?

no kidding...looks finished now, what's your secret??????

jaywidhalm
07-28-2010, 08:34 PM
Scott, that looks great...and unique! Good job!

ssmith
07-29-2010, 04:47 PM
Thanks! It's not Fmans install but it's cheap and gets the job done. By the way...Nice job Fman. It looks GREAT!

For those wondering, this is what I did.....

You will need: (can get it at Lowes in the specialty trays)

6- 1/2 inch nylon screw in rivets (like pictured)
6- 1/2 inch threaded post w/ screw (pictured)
12 washers to use as spacers (whatever size you think works best)

*take the 1/2 rivet (one pictured is 1/4 inch for demonstration only..you need 1/2 inch)

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w126/scotties2006/Boating/rivet.jpg

*remove the inner screw
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w126/scotties2006/Boating/SU1HMDAwNTktMjAxMDA3MjktMTQ0OC5qcGc.jpg

*cut off the nylon expansion sleeve (aka long pointy thingy)
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w126/scotties2006/Boating/SU1HMDAwNjAtMjAxMDA3MjktMTQ0OS5qcGc.jpg

*take the 1/2 inch threaded post
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w126/scotties2006/Boating/SU1HMDAwNTUtMjAxMDA3MjktMTQ0Ny5qcGc.jpg

ssmith
07-29-2010, 04:52 PM
(Continued)....

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w126/scotties2006/Boating/SU1HMDAwNTctMjAxMDA3MjktMTQ0Ny5qcGc.jpg

*take the female end of the threaded post and push it through the hole, in the rivet, where the screw once was. It will be tight and then pop right through for a snug fit.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w126/scotties2006/Boating/SU1HMDAwNjctMjAxMDA3MjktMTQ1MS5qcGc.jpg

*Last, just insert what you've done to this point through your existing swim deck holes and place 2 washers on the back side and secure it with the male end of the threaded post. Add blue loctite to the male end before threading on if you feel the need.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w126/scotties2006/Boating/SU1HMDAwNzAtMjAxMDA3MjktMTQ1My5qcGc.jpg

*repeat 5 more time and you should look like this...

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w126/scotties2006/Boating/SU1HMDAwMjktMjAxMDA3MjctMTMzOS5qcGc.jpg

Sluggo
07-29-2010, 05:27 PM
That's awesome. Makes it look like you have backup sensors.

ssmith
07-29-2010, 05:54 PM
That's awesome. Makes it look like you have backup sensors.
That's what I thought :p

ScottnAz
07-29-2010, 10:55 PM
Wow, that's great Scottie.
Almost makes me wish I hadn't already ordered the rubrail kit...... I blame YOU for not coming up with this sooner!

ScottnAz
07-30-2010, 10:03 PM
I've been reluctant to say anything, but......
Last Friday morning (23rd) I spoke with a local company called swimplatforms.com - they said they had the parts in stock (in PHX), but would have to check inventory and decide whether or not they were willing to part with 10' of material. Promised to call me back by the end of the day...... still haven't heard from them.
Later that morning (23rd) I went in to the local Supra dealer. They told me that they had to call SC to price some other parts anyway, and would check on the rubrail parts for me, and get back to me.......... still haven't heard from them. That night (23rd, after closing time), I sent an email to Viper Customs and was very honest with him that I was reluctant to order from Viper because of the bad wrap they were getting about customer service and ship times..... Jim emailed me back 1st thing Monday morning basically man'ing up to the poor customer service issues and stating he could ship the parts by Tuesday. I ordered the parts, and he shipped them on Tuesday.... so we'll see.

I truly want to believe in Viper, and like I said, I'm reluctant to say anything because I don't want to jinx it, that Jim has ironed out the wrinkles in his business. I think I'm more shocked that I never even heard back from the other sources ..... which includes a ....... SUPRA DEALER....!!!!!
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r180/keanea/shocked.gif

Hopefully, I'll be posting an update this week that I received the parts from Viper and they've been installed.

ssmith
07-31-2010, 07:51 AM
Ahhh, as I've said before..Jim's a good guy. I have no issues with ordering stuff from him. The only recommendation I have it to stay on top of it. Just because he said it was done, doesn't mean it was. If you don't have a tracking number...call until you do. Be very proactive in your role when dealing with him and you'll be fine. Call, call, call & call again.

ScottnAz
08-02-2010, 10:22 PM
I got a UPS delivery today with the rubrail parts from Viper Customs, now I've got to read back through Fman's instructions for the installation.
Thanks Jim!

ssmith
08-05-2010, 02:44 PM
I got a UPS delivery today with the rubrail parts from Viper Customs, now I've got to read back through Fman's instructions for the installation.
Thanks Jim!

Glad to hear Jim came through for ya! Let us see some pics and know your thoughts when you're done.