PDA

View Full Version : Wakeboarder VS Fisherman

GravityQueen
04-02-2010, 11:02 PM
We all know that fisherman have a "extreme dislike" for wakeboarders, long time so called war but we would like to hear your side and your encounters when wakeboarders VS fisherman!

Kip
04-03-2010, 08:28 AM
We haven't had too many problems with fisherman. I have always felt that most of them know where to go to catch fish so I try to give them some space. From my experiences most fisherman don't get to worked up if we are riding in the only smooth water which happens to be by them.

What we have had problems with is people parking and swimming in the middle of the only nice water on the lake. And the biggest problems we have are the dreaded tubers, there can be 10000 acres of rough water and 1000 acres of smooth water and it seems the only thing a lot of tubers want to do is make the smooth water rough:confused:.

GravityQueen
04-03-2010, 09:50 AM
Sounds like you've been lucky. We've had beer bottles, rocks and other misc. crap thrown at us while boarding and fisherman threating to beat our @$$ and it's not like we disturbing them or getting into their fishing space. We can just drive by and you can tell they are not happy were there.

moombadaze
04-03-2010, 12:15 PM
Had some bass fisherman come over and tell me to go find another part of the river as we were breaking some law by wakeboarding where he was fishing.

SUPRA_ALLEGRO_LANE
04-03-2010, 12:26 PM
I love those kind people make up laws to try and scare people away.

GravityQueen
04-03-2010, 12:48 PM
In Texas as long as we are 50 yrds from them we are legal but we also have the drunk hillbiliies here too lol

Gravity08
04-04-2010, 04:50 PM
What gets me is they are on the bank... We arent rocking their boat. We are 150 ft from bank. Unless they just hate listening to the music. I guess maybe I need some Hank Williams for them. The last bottle that was thrown at me almost caused an @$$ whoopin.

SUPRA_ALLEGRO_LANE
04-04-2010, 07:04 PM
Im a boarder,skier and a fisherman. We all just have to share the waters.

Been lucky enough not to have anything thrown at us.

Pitty the fool who does though.

docdrs
04-04-2010, 08:52 PM
Its all in knowing your rights. When we barefoot we typicallly run 100 ft from shore at 42 mph , but with a tower peeps figure your a wake monster. Had peeps tell me I couldn't do it there and try and get in our way. We ask them to call the police as we know we are doing nothing wrong. They just happen to have there place in nice water. So for those peeps when were done we load up the sacs and show them what we could have done. . How do ya like me now?

beast 496
04-04-2010, 09:53 PM
In Indiana you are also repsoncible for your wake, so if you throw up such a large wake to flood someones yard, house, boat ect. you are resposible for the damages. I have been on both sides of that law. Al

docdrs
04-04-2010, 10:08 PM
What will the politicians think of next. So the guy drivin the snow plow come and shovel my driveway out

Gravity08
04-04-2010, 11:38 PM
We have total respect for people on boats but some schmoe on the bank... Wind nor waves matter to them. It does to us.

87SunSportMikeyD
04-05-2010, 10:23 AM
We are on a river, so glass and space are limited. They like to park boats near shore which makes them hard to see. We usually pick a stretch of shoreline and track it back and forth. We try to pick a spot that is not busy, but we need calm water, and they do not. As long as I am 100' away I am legal but they do not like us going back and forth. I don't see them flicking off the tubers, though. I flip 'em right back.

Gravity if they are throwing bottles at you, call 911. That is not legal and just like in a car, very dangerous. It could maybe get you taken to jail.

dickboxers
04-05-2010, 10:24 AM
I usually only get some dirty looks. Probably just from my music being cranked up.

scotthons
04-05-2010, 11:51 AM
I have never had much of an issue with fishermen other than some nasty looks...it’s the reckless wave runners that get me fired up!

FecalFajita
04-05-2010, 03:07 PM
Once on lake Owasso in MN, I had a fisherman call 911 and say that we were "being maniacs and getting very close to fishing boats, and having insanely loud exhaust". Which unless there was an invisible fishing boat on the smooth part of the lake, wasn't even close to true. There was actually almost no one on the lake, it was late September.

Right after we finished riding for the day, The local cops commandeered someones boat and made us come to shore. If I remember right there was a total of six cops. They wanted me to tear my floor up to show them my "straight piped exhaust" (gotta love the super traps). After showing them that it was pretty much impossible they gave up on that.

And after talking with them for about 20 minutes, they pretty much realized that whoever called was full of it. But they still decided to ticket me for not having the lights on (I wasn't required to have them on for another 30 minutes). I ended up having to pay the $81 ticket, because it was cheaper than missing a day of work to fight it.

Thanks random fisherman! You wasted my money, time, the time of SIX cops, and some poor old couples time and gas money from when the cops took their boat. All because you can't catch fish or stand to have ski boats on a skiing lake.

Next time I hope my wake tips and sinks your boat! Go to hell!

jzelt
04-05-2010, 03:10 PM
Same in PA, Beast. You are responsible for any damage from the wake. Many people at marina's around Pittsburgh scream about the wakes and damage while being on the rivers. They say the worst offenders are the law enforcement boats so who are you going to call to enforce it?

I try to go where no one else is. I guess you could record on video them doing the trash throwing and then call in the law. I would think you would need proof of them littering in order to have anything done. Seems like you know you can expect it anyway, so probably not hard to anticipate.

I had fishermen come up to me this weekend and ask how is it I could stand to be in the water without a wetsuit on to wakeboard. (45 deg water temp).
Seemed out of respect/inquiry than hate/anger. I would tend to think it is in context of location and proximity.

If all you are doing is going back and forth past the same boat all day long, thowing as big a wake as you can (for surfing, etc), I am sure it would get someone upset.

Fortunately, I boat where there are options on windy days or in search of smoothness.

jet
04-05-2010, 04:07 PM
My wife and I on a week day were boarding just off of the shore and my HUGE Supra 1000 lb wake back then was hitting this guys shore line.. so I looked up and hes running along the shore line cussing $%#*! I just laughed at him and kept going, in Tx you dont own the shoreline and you cant have a dock..so he was F%#ked! LMAO Jet

docdrs
04-06-2010, 05:55 PM
its usually the peeps on shore who think they own the water in front of their place for some reason. I usually just smile and say thank you ,i'll be back tomorrow and that they aren't bothering me at all :). the other bad ones are the Wally's on their 24 fot cabin cruisers and deep v's who pass thru no wake zones at 6-8 mph putting up huge wakes...i reserve my finger for them

oh and i'm glad i don't live in Pa or Indiana