PDA

View Full Version : Trade Offer?'s Need Opinions

mmiklos
04-07-2010, 10:25 AM
I have my 98 Comp for sale - we need an open bow! Here is a quick run down on my boat: 315hp carb motor (300hrs), Rankin Cover, Single Axle Trailer, Bimini, and heat! Pretty basic comp that is in good shape - pics in the for sale section.

Trade Offer:
1990 Supra Saltare 23' open bow towboat red/white. The 330 hp 454 inboard engine runs great. Boat was sent back to Maryville, Tn for a complete refurbishment in 2005. This is a solid boat that has been upgraded with new carpet/upholstry, Custom trailering cover (pats custom covers $1000), awesome sound sytem, hydraulic wake plate, new digital depth guage, and a brand new (2005) Roadrunner trailer that features matching red paint, chrome tandem wheels, hydraulic disc brakes, swing away tongue, and prop guard. I hate to sell a boat that has room for ten people and the power to pull whatever you throw at it.

Any input on this deal - waiting on pics and additional info! I wish it was a couple years newer!

michael hunter
04-07-2010, 07:01 PM
Is this a even trade? Was the floor and stringers done in 2005? If the 90 was completely done and is still in like new condition the deal looks good to me. After all you are getting a more functional boat that fits your needs for 0 out of pocket.

chautauquasun
04-07-2010, 08:45 PM
I would agree with Michael. A lot more boat and if floors and stringers or sound I would make that deal. I definitely think it is in your favor on an even trade.

sybrmike
04-08-2010, 10:04 AM
Really, really, really, check out the floor/stringer situation. Detailed receipts of the work back in 05 would be ideal. Check and make sure the work order matches what you can see. It may look good with new lipstick, but the condition of these boats can be deceiving. Based on the overall neglected condition of my 89 Saltare when I bought her, I knew she probably needed a complete stringer job. But to the cursory eye, the bilge looked clean, stringers sounded solid, all the engine bolts were tight, but turned out she's all rotted down below.

A friend bought an 86 Supre Rider last year that supposedly had the stringers replaced, only to find out 6 months later it was really a patch job around the engine mounts & the rest of the stringers (hidden by a new layer of glass and gelcoat) are junked.

I still like to believe in the inherent goodness of people, but this is a big decision for you & the family - so don't take anything on say so. I don't want to sound negative, just cautionary. Hopefully she's a real beauty & been done right. Sounds like a nice trade.