PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions/advice on a couple of boards

Jester
04-09-2010, 09:06 AM
I have a couple of new '08 or '09 boards for sale in my area for around $200 that I'm thinking about buying and I need advice on them. The first one is a Liquid Force Custom 4'10". The second is a CWB Ride 63".

I've only tried wakesurfing with an ocean surfboard and have been looking to purchase a wakesurf model for a while. I'm thinking about these two because of the price and because of the fact that it will be the first board for our boat('86 Sunsport). I'm 5'9", 195 #'s. My brother-in-law rides with us quite often and he's about 6'2", 220 #'s. The rest of the crew is around 165-180 #'s. Will these boards work for our weights? Is there anything good/bad about either of these boards? Any advice is appreciated.

ScottnAz
04-09-2010, 10:47 AM
Both are good boards. The Ride is a tried and true favorite of a lot of surfers. They are 2 differently constructed boards, and will provide 2 different rides. The Ride will be a much more durable board because of it's construction, while the Custom will require more care. It's not that it's delicate, it'll just be more prone to rack fork impressions and stress cracks after riding it for a couple seasons. Both will require different board racks, if that makes a difference. I believe the Ride fits in a regular wakeboard rack, while the Custom needs a wider surf rack. Both boards will work well for the weight range of your riding crew.
The CWB Ride will be a very stable and strong board. The ride on the board will also be very stable and predictable. A very good board to have on the boat for all riders. An aggressive rider will out grow the board, and look for something faster and more responsive. But, by then you'll know what you're looking for in a board. The Custom, while I've never ridden it, looks to be a faster board. Probably similar ride to the CWB RAZR that I'm always talking about. I, however, am not sold on the single fin setup. I think the board will be a little slick and unpredictable on the water for beginners, but will make for some funny falls. They'll get the hang of it, and it'll be a good board. The board will be easy to spin when it's time to pull some 3's. The board may be a little tough to recover from further back in the wave pocket due to the single fin configuration, but again, have not ridden the board.

If you are buying just one, I'd vote for the Ride. But, you certainly couldn't go wrong with buying both. Heck, with the sport gaining popularity, you could try the boards out for a couple weeks, and sell the one you don't like on Craigslist for what you paid.

Jester
04-09-2010, 06:13 PM
Scott,
Thanks for the info. I decided to go with the Ride because it's a little more durable than the LF custom and it should fit in the standard wakeboard racks. It also sounds like it will perform better for us beginners.

I went and picked it up today because I didn't want someone else to buy it. It was the last one on the shelf. My wife "bought" it for me as an early birthday present. I had mentioned it to her earlier in the week and she was planning to secretly buy it for my birthday in May. After I kept talking about them and researching, she was afraid I would buy one before she even had the chance to pick it up. She ended up telling me that's what her plan was and she told me to go purchase it. I guess I ruined her surprise but I'm happy as heck! I can't wait to get out on the water to try it!

I wish I could buy both of them but we just don't have the cash. My wife graduates in a month but I still have another year of school left. It'll be nice when we both have full time jobs again.

ScottnAz
04-09-2010, 11:14 PM
Hey, alright, it will be a great board for you guys!!
Have fun! And, have a great birthday

87SunSportMikeyD
04-13-2010, 11:59 AM
Jester I would agree the Ride should suit your range of rider weights better. The Custom is probably capable of more skim tricks, but the Ride will be a durable board that you will teach many riders and use for years. Good purchase.

Jester
04-13-2010, 10:58 PM
Mikey, that's exactly what I figured. It'll get us through this summer and if I want to upgrade at a later date this one will continue to teach the beginners. I can't wait to get the boat on the water to try it out. Too bad we're a bunch of babies when it comes to cold water! I'm hoping the nice weather continues so the lakes warm up. It's probably a good thing the water is still cold because we're in the process of rebuilding the interior of our boat. It needed all new wood and vinyl....talk about a job! Have you taken the boat out yet this year?

87SunSportMikeyD
04-14-2010, 10:48 AM
One my favorite things about surfing is trying different boards. We will have four wakesurfers in the boat this year hhehehe!! Gonna need another rack uh-oh!!

I just got the boat running in the yard yesterday. She sounded so good! We might try and drop her in for a couple hours, maybe this weekend. But I have some engine work to get done too. New valve cover gasket, new throttle cable, new electronic ignition.