PDA

View Full Version : Oil change in 03 SSV

hptesting
06-09-2004, 02:57 PM
Okay, I recieved my 03 SSV in October of last year and had the oil changed when I winterized it.

Today (after 50 hours so far this season) I was going to change the oil. 1st get everything set up put the fake-a-lake on warm up the engine and followed manual...put drain plug through the drain plug opening. PROBLEM it does not fit!!! So I decide to get out the hand pump and bring the oil out through the dipstick, well the tube is too big of a diameter to fit in the dipstick. About 2.5 hours later here I sit without the oil changed.

It was so much easier on the old direct drive!

Can someone give me some pointers? Does your Quick Drain fit through the drain plug? Are you using a pump to remove the oil?

Thanks.

catdaddy76
06-09-2004, 04:20 PM
I have an 04'. I'm not sure if the Qdrain will fit, but I worry about it being long enough to reach the drain plug. Anyway, I use a hand pump. Mine has 3 different sizes of hoses. Sorry I can't help you more.

hptesting
06-09-2004, 10:15 PM
Got it figured out...

After about 5 hours!

The Quick drain hose will not go to the outside of the boat and is not long enough to clear the wakeplate even if it did.

The easiest (and quickest way is to use a pump connected to the quick drain and just suck it out from there. Just cover the top of the lockers so you don't get any drips on it.

My quick drain was tied up with a zip tie to the front of the engine which allowed it to be easily accessed with the pump.

Next time it should take about 20 minutes.

TxTom
06-10-2004, 12:55 PM
You can use quick drain out of the back of the boat by getting a piece of hose from auto parts store, running it thru bilge drain& connecting to quick drain hose & then into container on ground. it is VERY slow to drain, however (20 minutes). Looked for a smaller cap fo the hose, but no luck at hardware store. Have to take cap off w. quick drain hose held up, push end into extension, & lower slowly. At least the filter is easy.