PDA

View Full Version : 1987 Supra Saltaire Service Manual

06-13-2004, 07:38 AM
I am looking for a Service Manual for a 1987 Supra Saltaire. I am having problems with my boat and would like to have a service manual for reference. The boat will start intermittently. I have a voltage drop at the coil. Is this normal or should there be 12 volts on the positive side of the coil. How do I check to see if the coil is bad? I have a coil that says it is used with an external resistor, is this the correct coil? When the boat is running, the coil is extremely hot. I replaced the points, condenser and cap and rotor. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone has a service manual I could buy, please let me know.

Thanks
cowan4

Salty87
06-14-2004, 03:45 PM
your post didn't show up, not logged in.

the owner's manuals for the saltare's are weak. www.skidim.com has one but there isn't much in it besides disclaimers.

no spark from the coil? is the engine turning over, just not starting? are you sure the tranny is in neutral? fuel shooting in the carb when you push the throttle down?

how old is the coil? are you running points and distributor? any tune-ups lately?....more details please

cowan4
06-20-2004, 10:03 AM
Thanks so much for your reply. It ended up being the coil. We hadn't done points, condenser cap and rotor replacement for 2 or 3 years so we asked for it. Also, please let me know how you got your boat so shiny. I have almost the exact same boat as you have and have oxidation out the wazoo. What products and procedure did you use to get your boat looking like new. I was seriously impressed. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
cowan4

87 Blue Saltare
06-22-2004, 12:42 AM
Meguiar's Products
Start with the Heavy Duty Oxidation Remover #44. Then go to the boat polish #45, then finish with their boat pure wax #56. A lot of guys like to use a buffer, but be careful not to buff through the gel coat. I like to buff on the heavier stuff and then put the wax on and off by hand.

I'll bet you Salty also does this: wipe down your boat every time you take it out of the water. Just use your beach towels and wipe it all down so you don't leave any water spots on it. If you use in brackish water, wash it when you get home and always dry. I usually wax mine twice a year. Good luck.

Salty87
06-22-2004, 03:49 PM
yep, david's got it right.

the actual products don't make much of a difference. i've personally found that 3m marine heavy duty compound works great on my boat, so great that i haven't tried anything else. i'm sure others would work good as well.

it's the process that counts. i highly recommend a buffer and a wool bonnet. the wool bonnet (kinda looks like a mop) can be used all day, all weekend unlike the cotton and cloth ones that need to be changed every 5 mins. the wool bonnets are more aggressive and will wipe the grime and deteriorated gel coat away much better. you also save a bunch of time not changing bonnets.

work a small area at a time, the compund will dry out and not be as effective if you try to work a large area. you'll also just spread the grime around rather than cleaning it off. to make sure you're cleaning it off the boat and not just spreading it, clean your wool bonnet often. take a screwdriver and lay it down on top of the buffer while the wheel is spinning on a low setting....the dry compound and old gel coat will fly off as a dust. the ground around my trailer and the trailer itself were a powder blue after i was done. i think i went over each section 4 or 5 times before i moved to the next area.

i washed again after the buffing. then i polished. that made a huge difference, i was surprised. use the same process but you shouldn't have to go over it as many times. it won't take nearly as long. i used the buffer at a higher setting for this.

wash again. at this point, i sprayed 303 and wiped it in really good leaving no streaks. i pretty much rubbed it in. this is just an experiment of sorts, i doubt it can hurt any.

then wax, i waxed by hand as well.

not letting water spots set in is part of the battle. also, waxing periodically should prevent you from having to compound often.