PDA

View Full Version : Captains Call Exhaust on inboard

kodybyron
04-12-2010, 09:53 AM
I'm surprised to see no thread on exhausts..
Has anyone installed a captains call exhaust on a 5.7L indmar assault?
i youtubed it and wow they sound amazing! does anyone have any info on the install, price and pros and cons?

from my research corsa is the way to go...avg price is about $900! ouch! any cheaper way to make my 5.7L sound deeper/louder but not annyoing?:confused:

ScottnAz
04-12-2010, 10:14 AM
I think a lot of us are going in the opposite direction, and trying to limit engine noise to hear the radio better without having to blast it, and make it easier to have a conversation while the boat is on and/or moving.

I installed Fresh Air Exhaust (FAE) on my boat and it really lowered the noise level of the exhaust, as well as redirect the carbon monoxide to make it safer while riding and cruising. Check it out

http://freshairexhaust.com/

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n315/woodwrangler/FAE-1.jpg

87SunSportMikeyD
04-12-2010, 10:28 AM
I love my FAE!! OMG I can post yayyyyyyyyy

KY Steve
04-12-2010, 11:33 AM
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n315/woodwrangler/FAE-1.jpg

Scott,

Did you fill in the gutter around the underside of your swim deck?

ScottnAz
04-12-2010, 11:41 AM
No, I think the angle of the picture just makes it look like I did.

csuggs
04-12-2010, 01:57 PM
I'm surprised to see no thread on exhausts..
Has anyone installed a captains call exhaust on a 5.7L indmar assault?
i youtubed it and wow they sound amazing! does anyone have any info on the install, price and pros and cons?

from my research corsa is the way to go...avg price is about $900! ouch! any cheaper way to make my 5.7L sound deeper/louder but not annyoing?:confused:

As I understand, the exhaust diverter systems like the Captain's Call is made so that you can basically run "open pipes" out on the lake but not make so much noise in the marina. With our inboard Supras, we already have just that. At idle or at slow speeds the exhaust is underwater so it's naturally muffled. When on a plane and cruising across the lake the exhaust is exposed to open air which, on older boats, is straight-pipe sound. Unless I'm missing something, these exhaust diverters are designed for boats that have the exhaust exit above the water line. I love the sound of my boat! :)

kodybyron
04-12-2010, 03:05 PM
As I understand, the exhaust diverter systems like the Captain's Call is made so that you can basically run "open pipes" out on the lake but not make so much noise in the marina. With our inboard Supras, we already have just that. At idle or at slow speeds the exhaust is underwater so it's naturally muffled. When on a plane and cruising across the lake the exhaust is exposed to open air which, on older boats, is straight-pipe sound. Unless I'm missing something, these exhaust diverters are designed for boats that have the exhaust exit above the water line. I love the sound of my boat! :)

i mean mine sounds pretty good when i get her butt out of the water..specially when im under a bridge..but i just thought this 5.7L would be a bit more throaty and ballzy sounding...i guess what im trying to say is i want it louder.

jaywidhalm
04-12-2010, 05:48 PM
Scott, how much does the FAE cost. Looks pretty simple to install yourself. I am assuming it doesn't rob any power from restriction or anything right??

ScottnAz
04-12-2010, 09:14 PM
Yeah, pretty easy and straight forward to install. Larry was great to work with, and answered all the questions I had before and during installation. Price was ~$450, you can find a price list here:
http://www.freshairexhaust.com/FAE_PriceList.html?a_aid=287b8c79&a_bid=9a657705

I haven't noticed any power restrictions, although, I think I may have lost 1mph from the top end.

zalamander
04-14-2010, 06:46 PM
Haha... I knew Mikey was gonna be all over the FAE exhaust comments! I would like to do that too, but I'm going to go with a switchblade system instead, and it just wont work. Does anyone know of another way to quiet the exhaust, or even pipe it downward to acheive the same thing as FAE? Here is a link to the switchblade set-up I'm refering to... http://www.switchbladewake.com/

saltare inverts
04-14-2010, 10:58 PM
I understand wanting it quiet, but I cant let go of my youth yet. I want to hear that expensive gas I bought being exploded in my 454 block. (insert Tim Allen grunt). Its sounds like a 70 muscle car. Love it.

jdholco
04-15-2010, 08:01 AM
I understand wanting it quiet, but I cant let go of my youth yet. I want to hear that expensive gas I bought being exploded in my 454 block. (insert Tim Allen grunt). Its sounds like a 70 muscle car. Love it.

yeah, what he said.

sybrmike
04-15-2010, 09:57 AM
I guess a set of zoomies are out of the question for an inboard? I love the smell of nitro in the morning.

Gravity08
04-15-2010, 10:15 AM
If you run the pipes out the side you loose room for ballast in the lockers.

kodybyron
04-15-2010, 10:39 AM
i just want to be able to hear that big v8 more. i mean when i plane out and slow down i can hear it but id like to add a lil rumble! so i guess..theres nothing i can replace the factory exhaust with? and keep them running out the back?

beast 496
04-16-2010, 05:49 PM
Mike, do you super trapp exhaust? If so you can remove all of the baffle plates and add some basic flappers on the back, this will give you more rumble. If you do not have the super trap system, you can alsway completely remove the individual inline mufflers, I have done this for a few customers. Basically you can buy and install Marine fiberglass tubing used for exhaust, cut to length and install where the mufflers where. I would advise against having out the side exhaust as your fuel tank will be in the way. Good luck and let us know which way you go Al

saltare inverts
04-16-2010, 09:59 PM
I suppose no one will have to 6 inch polished exhaust pipes sticking up in the air like many Chevy and Ford diesel trucks you see now.

Okie Boarder
04-19-2010, 12:37 PM
LOL! Yeah, what it up with that? I've noticed that a lot lately too. Is there some advantage to doing it that way or is it just to make it look tough?

jzelt
04-19-2010, 01:14 PM
I saw those. If they run in the bed (which it looks like,) I think it is so you melt/burn whatever you have in there. (ie coolers, camping gear, etc).

saltare inverts
04-25-2010, 10:52 AM
Well they are running no mufflers so a little performance gain, but its mainly for looks. Of course to me it looks like you want to drive a peterbuilt but cant afford a full size one.