PDA

View Full Version : Seat Crack/Tear/Coming undone repair..

kodybyron
04-14-2010, 11:20 AM
What did yall do when you noticed your seats cracking or a small tear (under an 1") or a seam coming undone? its not bad enough to have to replace it all...

Are there any Quick Fixes yall have done that actually worked? Repair kits? Sewing kits?

87SunSportMikeyD
04-14-2010, 11:22 AM
There are a couple options for seat repair kits. You can get a clear glue that you apply to the tear. It is barely visable. This is simple, quick and cheap.

THe other kit requires you to pull the torn vinyl flaps so they overlap, then you use heat and the substance to re-bind them together and color with dye. They give you a sheet of patterns or 'fingerprints' to press into the newly repaired vinyl. I just got this kit haven't used it yet so my description may be a little off..

kodybyron
04-14-2010, 11:24 AM
Mikey,
dang bro! you sure have been alot of help lately..thanks for your quick replys..i think id much rather go with a glue..i wonder if i could paint the glue...taking heat to my seats...i dunno. i dont trust myself. but i have a seam coming apart on the back seat..are there also sewing kits i can pick up at a local store..walmart? academy?

thanks agian!

jzelt
04-14-2010, 12:42 PM
You can buy a curved needle and outdoor thread. Then it is just a matter of lining up the holes.

I also have 1" slits and bought a vinyl repair kit from auto store. Also have yet to use it. It is a 2 step process. Put a glue in the crack and let it dry. Cover that with a color mixture paste. The "heat" part is taking a lighter to a metal disk (supplied), heating it up and putting in on top of the sample vinyl to get a texture on the color and "cure" it.

Fman
04-14-2010, 03:35 PM
What did yall do when you noticed your seats cracking or a small tear (under an 1") or a seam coming undone? its not bad enough to have to replace it all...

Are there any Quick Fixes yall have done that actually worked? Repair kits? Sewing kits?

Kody,

Have a mobile vinyl repair tech come out to your house, those kits dont hold up well. Spend the $50-$75 and get it done right the first time. I have heard of multiple people having problems with the kits.

87SunSportMikeyD
04-14-2010, 04:30 PM
If I had a newer boat I would probably have it professionally repaired. I also also mention that there are different quality of DIY kits available. Some are not that great.

Salty87
04-14-2010, 08:46 PM
i agree with fman and mikey. if you have old vinyl, glue or kit will work...for a little while. otherwise, get a pro to do it right. i've tried both glue and kits. they both can turn brown over time and if you don't know what you're doing, you can easily mis-align the vinyl and then you're hosed.