PDA

View Full Version : Ballast fill switches

Number45
04-14-2010, 01:34 PM
I have a 2005 22SSV. It has 3 ballast bags on 3 seperate switches for each bag. The switches are rockers with fill on one side and drain on other. Yesterday I took it out for the first time and noticed. If I turn on the front fill switch it appears to start filling all 3 bags(front and 2 rear). On the rear bags if I try to fill just one side it appears that both sides fill. On the other hand if I turn on the drain switch this looks to drain the right bags. Is this the way its suppose to work or something wrong?

Thanks

ScottnAz
04-14-2010, 02:36 PM
Alright, definitely not working properly.
Each switch should work each bag separately, ie: flip front fill switch, only fill front bag and so on. Same with empty. With that said, I am assuming, your 22 is setup like mine was with 3 sprinkler valves on top of the vdrive, a rule fill pump sitting lower in the compartment with the ball valve and thru-hull fitting, and 3 separate rule empty pumps.
Have you moved the back seat to access the ballast pumps, and see what you have installed?

Number45
04-14-2010, 02:49 PM
I have the sprinkler valves like your talking. What am I looking for on the pumps?

ScottnAz
04-14-2010, 02:56 PM
I would first verify that the sprinkler valves are plumbed properly. There should be a manifold with all 3 pumps attached, and each valve should have only one hose hooked up to its respective pump. If that's all done properly, I would check to make sure the solenoids are installed securely to each pump. I suppose it's possible a loose solenoid may allow water to pass through the pump to the bag no matter which pump was running at the time. Make sense?

Can you ask the previous owner if he changed the plumbing to fill all 3 bags from one switch?

ScottnAz
04-14-2010, 02:58 PM
Sorry, let's back up to an even more basic step...
Make sure the small black lever isn't in the 'on' position on the pumps

Number45
04-14-2010, 06:28 PM
Ok pretty sure the problem was that 2 of the 3 valves had the switch in the open position. Didn't realize these were litterally the same as a sprinkler valve. I won't be able to test this to verify for sure again till I have it in the water.

Number45
04-19-2010, 07:00 AM
Verified yesterday that fixed the problem. Thanks for the help.