PDA

View Full Version : 87 Sunsport

thsmith10
04-14-2010, 08:35 PM
Here are the first pics of my boat I've had for a few years but never got around to getting it cleaned up. I am starting with wet sanding the red, and buffing and polishing the white. I am also removing the rainbow sticker and replacing with a new solid red wide pinstripe and a new logo. After that the plan is to patch and repair all chips and cracks on the underside and fix a leak that fills up the bildge after a while

Interior wise, keeping it simple this year with a simple radio and speaker replacement. Problem with the rear speakers is a shallow mounting depth. I purchased some cheap 2-1/2" mounting depth speakers that are just a tad too big. Thinking of buying a speaker spacer ring but can't find one in white. All of the teak has also been removed, sanded, and oiled. This is my first time reworking the teak so I am not sure if I like the straight oil or will eventually go with the oil/sealer. Would also like to install a wake board tower but have a hard time finding one that I think looks good with the boat.

My worry is that after I get the exterior done this spring, I am going to really want to put in new upholstery. After reading this board, I am not sure if I am ready to even think about stringers or not yet. If I get new vinyl inside, I assume I will be able to salvage everything if we had to rip out the carpet and floor to replace stringers eventually.

DGREEN
04-15-2010, 01:12 AM
Great work thsmith10! The boat is looking great. What a difference a good amount of elbow grease can do! I have an 87 Sunsport as well, such sweet boats. I've been working like crazy on it and I have to update my thread!! Anyways, your boat is looking sweet and just remember.....one task at a time, thats what I keep reminding myself!

87SunSportMikeyD
04-15-2010, 11:31 AM
thesmith - I measured mine for speakers and found the same problem. I was able to find two solutions. You can buy shallow depth (low profile) speakers, and you can also get riser rings to cover the space between the speaker and the hull.

http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=1783

thsmith10
04-15-2010, 08:39 PM
I am probably going to go the route of the spacers for now because last year I bought a simple stereo/speaker set.

Today i removed the passenger seat and the front seat so I can get better access to buff and polish the entire deck once the wet sanding is done. I found some standing water in the front that was starting to rot the wooden frame.

Going to try and get prices for new vinyl within the next couple of weeks. What's a range I can expect to hear back?

sybrmike
04-15-2010, 11:03 PM
A true classic - good luck with getting her whipped into shape. I think it's less daunting to tackle it project by project as time/budget allow (but I decided to redo everything at once, so don't listen to me...)

I found interior pricing to vary widely. I got quotes between $2k & 3k, but it can depend highly on how fancy the design, quality of vinyl, and what can be salvaged (wood & foam). Evidently new foam is pricey.

Okie Boarder
04-16-2010, 01:11 PM
Looks pretty good. Congrats and welcome.

thsmith10
04-16-2010, 11:12 PM
Meeting with an interior guy on Monday, same guy that actually made the cover for the previous owner 10 years ago. He also replaced the wood and the vinyl in the bow because the old covers let so much water in it rotten out the frame.

Weather sucks here this weekend so I won't be able to get to the boat much to finish the wet sanding on the top layer.

thsmith10
04-19-2010, 06:00 PM
So the interior guy is giving me an $4200-$4500 estimate to replace all of the vinyl in the boat with me replacing any rotten wood. Seems very high compared to the posts I've seen on here. I think he's trying to get me to pay for his divorce which he told me all about.

dshaff24
04-19-2010, 07:52 PM
So the interior guy is giving me an $4200-$4500 estimate to replace all of the vinyl in the boat with me replacing any rotten wood. Seems very high compared to the posts I've seen on here. I think he's trying to get me to pay for his divorce which he told me all about. WOW that is a lot of freaking money, The guy doing my whole interior and replacing all the wood is doing it for $2500 and has been in business for 28 years! Id go and get another qoute because that is just crazy expensive

87SunSportMikeyD
04-23-2010, 12:17 PM
That is waaayyy too much

thsmith10
04-24-2010, 01:29 AM
Yeah I think so too. I almost have all of the vinyl taken out of the boat so I can get all the fiberglass in the interior cleaned up along with the carpet. Its going to pain me to put it back in for the summer but I bought Exquistite and I am going to try and clean it really good. I'll shop around for stringer replacement and new vinyl this fall. My boat lists to the right side in the water so I am pretty sure I have some soaked foam somewhere.

As far as the wet sanding project, I have the 1000 grit to do on the red just under the rub rail, then it shouldn't be long before I hit it with 1500 grit, buffing compound, polish then wax. I can almost see the light at the end of the wet sanding tunnel and I am glad, my shoulders arms are exhausted. I am just going to buff and polish all of the white to get some shine back to that.

I will post some pics Sunday of a wind shield modification we did. I have a long metal piece coming to the back of the boat with one little piece of glass in the back. Its not a windshield I've seen on any of the boats posted on here and it vibrates like crazy when driving.