PDA

View Full Version : How many batteries???

sybrmike
04-15-2010, 11:10 PM
Sorry, but I'm more mechanically inclined than electrical. I've seen everything from one to four. What are the real world needs to power one of our boats and 3000 peak watts of stereo?

jonyb
04-15-2010, 11:39 PM
It depends on if you're buying junk batteries (that includes Optima's :D), and if you're buying GOOD batteries.

You say 3000W, but I've seen some amps that are lighter then paperweights that claim 3000W. You'll need to be more specific with model numbers and everything that will draw current from the battery.

A budget also helps.

saltare inverts
04-16-2010, 12:00 AM
A good rule of thumb I follow is one good battery per 1000watts.

sybrmike
04-16-2010, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the quick replies.

I'm no audiophile, but know enough to be slightly embarrassed to share this - so here it goes...

I picked up two NIB Pyle amps (junk, I know) for 50 bucks (don't ask). Bogus specs I'm sure:

PLMRA420
35W x 4 RMS
250W x 4 MAX
Maximum current draw 20A
(drive 4 in-boat 6.5")

PLMRA620
100W x 4 + 250W x 2 RMS
250W x 4 + 500W x 2 MAX
Maximum current draw 30A x 2
says it can be bridged for 400W x 2 (tower speakers) + 900W x 1 (sub) Max

I have an Optima 34M battery and ARCO 20102 70A alternator that came in the boat, so I know I'll need to add a battery(ies), isolator/combiner, & maybe a DB alt upgrade. I am switching to electronic ignition, all LED's on the interior/nav/etc, and will add some ballast pumps later (# & amps tbd). Otherwise, standard electrical loading.

I'm not looking to rock the lake, but want something more than a just a receiver driving 4 speakers (gotta keep the teenagers happy). I had a grand budgeted in the rebuild for the stereo ($950 left) and $250 for electrical upgrades. Suggestions?

saltare inverts
04-16-2010, 10:49 AM
A good way to tell how much power any amplifier actually puts out look at the fuse. If it has a 20 amp fuse it should put out around 200 watts. If it has four 40 amps fuses it should put out around 1600 watts. It looks like you have 800 watts to use. Of course the better the quality amp and if they use mosfet supply and other things can affect this general rating some. I would run interior speakers with smaller amp, tower speakers with bigger then get mono amp and a sub or two. I would also add a battery. That is my two cents.

Matt Laird
04-16-2010, 09:23 PM
I'm running 6 Optima yellow tops.... They seem to hold up

jonyb
04-16-2010, 10:15 PM
What all are those batteries powering Matt?

1 of my SPP2150's would probably do the job of 4 of those Optima's.

Matt Laird
04-16-2010, 11:44 PM
Jonyb
I'm pushing 2 MHD 600/4 & 5 MHD 750/1

4 pair wetsounds 6.5s pair pro485s & 4 10w7s

played it today first time with just 2 10s hooked up. Seemed fine after 2hrs of playing with it...

I got them cheap so I'm not complaining...

saltare inverts
04-17-2010, 01:52 AM
jonyb what is a sp2150? Im looking to put two batteries in my boat but I am hearing complaints with optima on here. Ive been running a blue top for years with great results. Want suggestions. Sorry to steal the thread.

jonyb
04-17-2010, 01:52 AM
When I think of multiple batteries, I think of more than 2 hours of playing time. There's a lot of factors in it, but here's what I do with mine: I rarely run for more than an hour across the lake, but even if I did, the weak alternator wouldn't even begin to help out my stereo batteries. I have 2 Wet Sounds Syn1's, 1 Syn4, and 1 Syn6. They're not current hogs by any means, but when the boat is off the trailer, the stereo is playing. The battery switch is never on "2", which would feed the stereo batteries. I can go out at 10am, play the stereo all day, then back to the trailer, which is about 7pm. I'd say for at least 7 of those hours the stereo is playing at half volume, the last 2-3 hours at full volume. The next day, same thing, but only about 5-6 hours of playing time. I could do that 2 weekends in a row, and never have to recharge the batteries. I've started charging them after every use just to prolong the life of the battery, since it's a dry-cell AGM. The stereo is powered by 2 Stinger SP1500D's. Those aren't the biggest ones they make, but are considerable in size. Several of my customers are using the same batteries or the bigger ones, and never stop playing their stereo either. I've been tied up to lots of other boaters with Optima's and they can't make it half the day without losing battery power.

jonyb
04-17-2010, 02:06 AM
The Stinger battery page: http://www.stingerelectronics.com/products.aspx?selectedcategoryid=4

Never mind the retail price. My local customers get them much cheaper. The only problem is that the 2150 weighs in at 85 pounds. Levoy's Moomba is getting 1 of those, and 1 of the SPP925's to power the boat, ballast, and other accessories. That should be plenty of power and he'll never have to worry about shutting the stereo down.

Chachi
04-17-2010, 09:20 AM
Hey Jonyb, quick question, is there any threads out there that could help me with the install of an amp, subs and wiring tower speakers? I'm kinda baffled on how to wire the tower without having wires showing everywhere.

Thanks,

Chris

natemclain
06-02-2010, 05:17 PM
I would be curious how the professionals are wiring tower speakers as well.
I don't have anyone local that can or will do it. Or I haven't talked to the right people yet...