PDA

View Full Version : 86 Saltare Interior Rebuild

saltare inverts
04-17-2010, 01:35 AM
Here of some photos of my captains chair, bench seat, motor cover and boat cover I just rebuilt. Took me several tries to get captains chair right. Also took some head scratching to get cover rebuilt. I am pleased with the results hope you guys like? http://pbckt.com/sU.dU3J

MATTH53
04-17-2010, 03:09 AM
Love your pics, you have done a great job on everything. Good idea on the rear bench aswell. The PO I got my Saltare from had removed the passenger seat and moved the driver seat over and put a single WHITE captains chair in its place. I hope to rebuilt the original passenger seat and re-vinyl the single captains chair. It gives it a lot more room. We have also removed the tow bar and are currently hunting for a wake tower. I was looking at a wake tower the you can also tube off of.

Mani
04-17-2010, 09:55 AM
That is a great lookin' boat. That gel coat and interior make the boat look like it's brand new.

zalamander
04-17-2010, 12:31 PM
Great work on the upholstery!!! Did you also modify the cover for the tower supports? It looks awesome. Matt, can't you pull tubes from the rear pull point on your boat? I know mine has that pull point, and pulling tubes is what I was planning on using it for.

MATTH53
04-17-2010, 01:13 PM
Yeah you can pull from the rear, but I like the idea of not dropping the rope down when someone wants to tube instead, also you dont have the rope kicking any water in your face from skipping across the lake either. I found a wake tower that might fit the bill...the curves should go well with the boat. Just getting the wife to let me drop $1899.00 is the tricky part haha.

Here is the link

http://www.thefootersedge.com/equipment/images/tower_side.jpg

saltare inverts
04-17-2010, 01:23 PM
Tubing with a tower is a great idea. That spray from rope can be annoying. I bet most towers can handle a tube except were they attach to the boat. Im sure extra large plates at stress points would help distibute that weight out.
Yes the cover now fits around my tower real tight. Worked out better than I thought it would. I used a generic fit all cover and modified it into a custom cover. It Trailers well.

MATTH53
04-17-2010, 10:32 PM
So heres a stupid question. I want my boat exterior to look as good as yours. I have heard of wet sanding, gel coating and polishing etc....how do I know what level I need. How do you "Gel coat" haha sorry for the ignorance. Also if I "wet sand" the boat will I need to re-gel coat.

saltare inverts
04-17-2010, 10:40 PM
You can wet sand or you can use a cutting/polishing compound to get gel coat looking shiny again. It has to be in pretty bad shape to need a new gel coat. To get a awesome shine a new gel coat is best. You can DIY in want. Just google roll and tip gel coat, if that doesnt help I can explain it also. There are threads on here about polishing your gel back to a shine. Hope this helps.

Okie Boarder
04-18-2010, 12:31 PM
That looks really good. Clean and simple.

sybrmike
04-19-2010, 10:18 AM
Interior looks great. All that time in high school home economics class really paid of - ha ha. Seriously, great look. I like the new rear bench set-up - gonna be changing mine up as well.

saltare inverts
04-19-2010, 05:55 PM
Funny you say that sybermike. I was in home economics for four years in high school. All the girls were in there! Got to go to conventions with 30,000 girls and about ten guys. Awesome. Never knew I would actually use what I learned while flirting with the ladies.:cool:

sybrmike
04-19-2010, 06:23 PM
Glad you were able to put all those years of suffering through classes loaded with the opposite sex to good use.

"Typing" was the most useful class I took in HS. Who knew PC's were gonna take off after I graduated & yes, loaded with girls as well (I got 3 dates out of the class that year...).

saltare inverts
04-19-2010, 11:26 PM
See an education can pay off at any level.

iLikeBoats
04-21-2010, 03:18 AM
https://forum.supraboats.com/member.php?u=4468

So I dont know how extensive you are going to go with your interior but I found this guys thread and I wish that I woulda did what he did! I don't know if I wouldve done everything that he did but it is definitely something to check out at least...so far so good on the interior! I think the 2 tone is far more classy than the old interior

87SunSportMikeyD
04-21-2010, 10:24 AM
You dont use your wake rope for tubing so you will have to change ropes anyways... Love the pics S_i

zalamander
04-21-2010, 10:46 AM
https://forum.supraboats.com/member.php?u=4468

So I dont know how extensive you are going to go with your interior but I found this guys thread and I wish that I woulda did what he did! I don't know if I wouldve done everything that he did but it is definitely something to check out at least...so far so good on the interior! I think the 2 tone is far more classy than the old interior

That is funny that you linked to that thread. That is the exact thread I read when researching Supra SunSport's before I bought mine. I think the two tone interior looks great! It's classy, and brings more color into the boat.

iLikeBoats
04-21-2010, 12:23 PM
haha, who woulda thunk it? yea the way he did the gun whales was prime.

saltare inverts
04-21-2010, 01:37 PM
I cant seem to find this thread with the interior. Thanks Mikey.

iLikeBoats
04-21-2010, 03:38 PM
You might have to go to search and just type in knoxsupra

saltare inverts
04-21-2010, 09:53 PM
I did that ilikeboats and all that came up was knoxville no boat pics.

zalamander
04-22-2010, 03:26 PM
Yeah... I had to search under statistics, and all threads for knoxsupra.
Here is the thread...

https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=1829

saltare inverts
04-22-2010, 07:56 PM
Thanks. Love seeing the gunwale cutouts. I was planning on doing same thing. Such a wasted space. I am planning on putting subwoofers in there also. Itll take some internal framing but would be nice to use that wasted space.

iLikeBoats
04-24-2010, 11:39 PM
what a run around for that thread eh? haha...i think that it definitely was wasted space but i guess that is the cool part about having your own project then you can make whatever you want out of that space.

saltare inverts
04-25-2010, 10:47 AM
No kidding. I thought about seeing if I can get the factory plastic piece that has cupholders from Skiers choice. That way the cutouts would look factory etc. I just have a feeling they want alot for them. Not sure who to call for them.

mapleleaf
04-25-2010, 05:11 PM
Glad that got found, I've wanted to reference those cut out's for a while.....
How did he attach his trim panels with no visible fasteners and such a narrow gunwhale to get a screwgun into?????

iLikeBoats
04-26-2010, 12:28 AM
if you put a bolt in before you put your padding and vinyl on and leave an opening in the corners just big enough so you can get a ratchet into. also you can put in some "L" angles in along the bottom for stability then poly resin coat the panels put on the padding and your vinyl and BAM! I have a pretty good idea i could probably draw up and send over to you if you'd like?

saltare inverts
04-26-2010, 01:02 AM

2505Recovered my side panel by the throttle control tonite. I am pleased. I took pictures of several steps as I did them.

iLikeBoats
04-26-2010, 01:27 AM
i remember that part. I was so ticked when i cut too far past the the "pocket" underneath the dash...oh well, live and learn...i like that tho looks very clean...what kind of stapler do you use?

mapleleaf
04-26-2010, 06:54 AM
if you put a bolt in before you put your padding and vinyl on and leave an opening in the corners just big enough so you can get a ratchet into. also you can put in some "L" angles in along the bottom for stability then poly resin coat the panels put on the padding and your vinyl and BAM! I have a pretty good idea i could probably draw up and send over to you if you'd like?

Yeah , kinda like the observer seat with its hidden bolt on the port gunwhale......
drawings are good, just don't know how much room there is for these cutouts on my Conbrio....gotta check...

saltare inverts
04-26-2010, 07:53 AM
I used a Senco air stapler with good ole stainless steel staples.

Okie Boarder
04-26-2010, 05:34 PM
Looking good! I like what you did there saltare inverts. Where did you get stainless staples?

saltare inverts
04-26-2010, 06:05 PM
I got my vinyl, foam, hidem, piping, plastic slip, gun and staples from Gary's Upholstery. They are online. Very nice and very helpfull with questions that probably seem dumb to them.

iLikeBoats
04-27-2010, 02:23 AM
nice...i think i have a brad nailer that doubles as a stapler but i used an electric stapler

saltare inverts
04-27-2010, 08:20 AM
I have never used an electric stapler, how did it work?

mapleleaf
04-27-2010, 07:53 PM
paslode 22 gauge air stapler is one of my favorite new tools.....

iLikeBoats
04-28-2010, 01:40 AM
it was alright, definitely not my favorite tool by any means tho.

mapleleaf
04-28-2010, 10:51 PM
it was alright, definitely not my favorite tool by any means tho.

good point....it has made my life a little easier, I'll be happy when the interior's done....

saltare inverts
04-29-2010, 12:20 PM
Maple, how far are you? Whats left?

saltare inverts
05-03-2010, 08:04 AM
Im thinking of adding another Polk MM to my system. I want to place it in the gunwale. There is alot of room there and many other boats have done it. What are your guys thoughts?

mapleleaf
05-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Maple, how far are you? Whats left?

Far enough that I know it's not my calling!!!, bit by bit I keep jumping around, most of the main cabin,rear deck, and now some bow cushions and the walk through....I know you'll be needing some pics, I'll get some fri. when I "work from home"
Bow main area, doghouse touch ups and a couple trim panels and I'm done, prolly take a couple pieces back apart and try to tighten them up, (still working on making turns with my shoulders!! thx Jack)
I love the cream and charcoal scheme, but my skills would prolly be a lot better if this was my 3rd boat!!! Still smiling though, its decent and oh so new!!!!

saltare inverts
05-04-2010, 08:17 AM
It is a little annouing to spend an hour pulling staples to pull off old vinyl. Then take time to wrap and sew new vinyl that doesnt look good. Then have to pull new vinyl and hundred staples out again. Then wrap again. I have learned alot though and want to flip a boat someday.

mapleleaf
05-04-2010, 08:19 AM
ya those new staples sure do bite good......