PDA

View Full Version : Teak swim platform Idea, Staining it and then poly it

dshaff24
04-17-2010, 09:21 AM
I am transforming my boat to NO teak and plan on maybe Staining my teak swim platform a grey color and then maybe polyurethan over it? Did anybody ever go from teak to stain? would the poly work on it being it sits in the water all summer? The reason I ask is I just polyurethaned a cedar chest and its awsome looking but that was with out stain,

zalamander
04-17-2010, 12:35 PM
Whaaaaaaat... Sell me your teak deck, and I will ship you my figerglass one free! You can paint it, do whatever you want. I LOVE TEAK!!!! IMO, it would be a shame to stain or paint such a beautiful wood. Please consider my offer, if you would be willing to part with it for a reasonable price.

Fman
04-17-2010, 07:46 PM
I agree, those teak decks are sweet, old school and classy... I like how the new MC's still offer teak decks. If you are totally sold on covering with something I know some people have rhino-lined them (spray on bedliner) and they turn out very nice.

DGREEN
04-17-2010, 07:57 PM
Hey dshaff24, I have an 87 sunsport, and i just redid all of my teak, sanded it, cleaned it with Teak Guard super clean and then coated the heck out of it with Teak Guard. It looks super sweet, I'd recomend keeping the Teak look, super classy! Check out my thread, i'll have teak pics posted this next week.

mapleleaf
04-17-2010, 08:50 PM
My fiberglass platform has been up for grabs since I bought my boat, it's a beat up, but all there...I'll send it too anybody who wants to pay shipping.....
I know wood's a pain on maintenance, but it sure looks good....
I would try and find a replacement platform if your old teak one won't work with your new plans.......hint hint Mine w/ rhino liner
Fman's right those new MC's look pretty sweet with a teak platform hanging off the back, seems like they're a little bigger now too!!!

dshaff24
04-17-2010, 10:15 PM
Wow im really surprised to hear this! Mine is in good shape just needs restained or teaked? Does anybody have a picture of teak platform that has been redone? If a fiberglass one would bolt up to the same holes id probally prefer it over the teak unless I seen a picture that changes my mind,

Okie Boarder
04-18-2010, 12:28 PM
I'd stick with the teak deck, also. The teak looks really nice when cleaned up and oiled. We used the clean and oil kit on our teak. I wish I had a teak platform...I like the look too.

Here's a pic I found on google. It actually was from an ad on this forum...LOL!

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w272/PoolGuyJeff/Supra/IMG_1724.jpg

zalamander
04-18-2010, 01:04 PM
Wow im really surprised to hear this! Mine is in good shape just needs restained or teaked? Does anybody have a picture of teak platform that has been redone? If a fiberglass one would bolt up to the same holes id probally prefer it over the teak unless I seen a picture that changes my mind,

I had teak on my old MC. You can go to my profile page and see pics of that one after it was restored and oiled.

Salty87
04-19-2010, 09:35 AM
poly won't stick to teak for very long. poly won't stick to plywood very long without glass in it, either strands or cloth. and teak has more natural oil in it than plywood does.

dshaff24
04-20-2010, 01:14 AM
poly won't stick to teak for very long. poly won't stick to plywood very long without glass in it, either strands or cloth. and teak has more natural oil in it than plywood does.

So when it comes to TEAK its basically sand it and re teak oil it?

tg0824SSVGG
04-20-2010, 08:00 AM
I think you would have hated how slippery it was anyway.

I have several friends that have had their teak "Rhino Lined" -- one of them forgot
to have them put "sand" in it - and it was "slicker than snot"-- I saw 3 people nearly
break their necks slipping on it.

It's another option, just make sure you have them put some sort of anti-slip
on it if you do it - but don't make it so rough that you then tear the skin if you
go this route.

beast 496
04-20-2010, 09:02 AM
where do you get the idea, that teak is slippery? Teak is naturally non skid. The teak oil is a preservitive, but not needed. Teak is still used on decks of off shore fishing boats, cruise ships, and of course ski boats. What ever you do, do not use any polyurithane, or varnish. And don't use "rino liner" It is a boat not a damn truck. Al

tg0824SSVGG
04-20-2010, 11:09 AM
Sorry Al,

I meant he would hate how slippery the POLY would be ... not the natural teak, sorry I wasn't clear.

87SunSportMikeyD
04-20-2010, 12:10 PM
I sanded and finished mine with Teak Guard too. I couldnt rememner the product name until this thread! Here is the kit I got (from ebay) http://www.signaturehardware.com/product10048

It worked great but it claimed to last longer than other products and I would say its needing reapplication after a couple months.

zalamander
04-20-2010, 02:14 PM
Yeah I used to oil my teak every couple of months or so... (that's what she said... haha) . It would get scratched up from boards and such on it, but it always just wiped off with new oil. You already know my thoughts on teak, so if you want to paint something, lets trade platforms.

beast 496
04-21-2010, 08:41 AM
No, problems. The natural look of teak is timeless. I guess I just like the wood look. I would much rather refinish teak than buff and wax a swim platform. Al

mapleleaf
04-21-2010, 09:00 PM
No, problems. The natural look of teak is timeless. I guess I just like the wood look. I would much rather refinish teak than buff and wax a swim platform. Al

ditto, I can't seem to give my glass platform away!!!!! If I could I'd finally be forced to build my teak one.....