PDA

View Full Version : Indmar Assault - cutting out

LloydP
04-19-2010, 07:42 AM
I apologize in advance, this might be a little long...

My 21V has an Indmar Assault 325 engine. Never had any problems with it before this year. First time out this yer: when the engine has been running for at least 20 minutes, it will start to bog down - won't run over 2k rpm. It even backfires some. We thought it might be bad fuel, so changed the fuel filter, and replaced the gas. Still the same problem. Took it to my Indmar guy, who said he couldn't replicate the problem in the shop, and there are no error codes stored in the system. He suspects an electrical problem, and checked and tightened all the connections.

Ran it this weekend - same issue. Interesting twist...this only happens under load. If I push the transmission lockout button, it will run up to 4k rpm with no problem, but as soon as I engage the transmission, it will bog down at close to 2k rpm.

The Indmar mechanic has suggested that he hook up the computer to it while we are running it at the lake, and then see if he can figure out what might be happening.

Anybody else ever run across something like this?

Thanks.

zalamander
04-19-2010, 01:23 PM
I had that problem with my old MC. I doubt if it is the same thing, but my distributor was frozen up (mechanical advance). It would idle like crap after running short time, and no power/intermitent power when towing, along with loud backfiring. I had the dist. rebuilt and upgraded to HEI and it solved the problem. You have an newer engine so may not be the same at all, but worth looking into. Make sure the springs aren't rusted up or broken.

p.s. I also did the fuel system flush, and even bought a new carb. before I figured out it was dist. related.

LloydP
04-19-2010, 01:54 PM
Thanks. I talked to the mechanic this morning, and he still thinks it is electrical. He said he may try to replace the throttle position sensor, or the manifold pressure sensor (at least that is what I think he called it). He is meeting me on the lake on Sat. to try to figure it out. Can't ask for more than that!!

zalamander
04-19-2010, 01:56 PM
Good luck! I wish I could be more help... I know how frustrating this kind of problem can be.

Engine Nut
04-19-2010, 07:28 PM
Thanks. I talked to the mechanic this morning, and he still thinks it is electrical. He said he may try to replace the throttle position sensor, or the manifold pressure sensor (at least that is what I think he called it). He is meeting me on the lake on Sat. to try to figure it out. Can't ask for more than that!!

Tellhimto bring his fuel pressure tester along. FP should be 60 PSI.

beast 496
04-19-2010, 07:43 PM
Ya, I suggest you check the fuel pressure also. More than likely a fuel pump problem. Al

LloydP
04-20-2010, 07:35 AM
Thanks guys. He checked fuel pressure at the shop, and said it was right on.

matts0246
05-08-2010, 06:16 PM
did you find out what the problem was, mine is cutting out and backfiring when i fill all my ballast and get it under aload.

beast 496
05-08-2010, 06:38 PM
The fuel pump pressure needs to be checked at WOT. Especially at the time when engine is bogging. Fuel pressure at idle or not under load is easy for the pump to accomplish but at WOT the pump needs to flow much more fuel. Al

LloydP
05-09-2010, 05:17 PM
The mechanic checked the fuel pressure on the water last weekend, and could see where it was cutting out. He replaced the fuel pump. Really happy to have such a great mechanic!!

He did go on a rant about gas with ethanol in it, and how bad it was for these engines. Said he never used to have to replace fuel pumps on 4 year old boats, but now it is routine. He suggested running marine Sta-Bil in every tank to avoid the problem.

Lloyd

matts0246
05-09-2010, 08:17 PM
so that fixed it? which fuel pump did he replace?

matts0246
05-09-2010, 08:46 PM
so did that fix the problem? which fuel pump did he replace?

LloydP
05-10-2010, 07:34 AM
As far as I know, it only has one. It is mounted to the engine. Keeping my fingers crossed that I have yet to have any of the notorious vapor lock problems!

robdaniel1
05-31-2010, 10:34 AM
Check the sensor.

I went round and round looking for a fix for my Supra Launch 2001.

Replaced filters and pumps etc..

It was the sensor which is a $50 dollar part or less.

Somehow water or fuel had gotten into the sensor. They rarely fail, but they
can foul.

Good luck.

Rob

Byrd
06-01-2010, 09:32 AM
What sensor did you replace, and where was it located? Thanks.

robdaniel1
06-01-2010, 11:43 PM
Map Sensor
Category: Auto Tuning —

Both these sensors have a similar function but are slightly different in function. A barometric or baro sensor tells the absolute atmospheric pressure. The map sensor uses a relative vacuum measurement and has a different range. The map is important for many reasons and usually every fuel injected vehicle will have one of these. The baro sensor is used as a secondary system so that even slight atmospheric changes can be monitered by the engine. Air density changes, as the pressure increases the engine will go lean. The sensor tells the ecu, which adds fuel to correct the lean condition. If your map sensor seems to be malfunctioning you can test it. First check for a loose plug or a bad vacuum hose.

Byrd
06-22-2010, 08:35 AM
My problem with the engine cutting out turned out to only be a clogged fuel filter. I had been told by every Supra dealer that I talked to that it had to be the fuel pump and it would be about a $500 fix.The only problem was finding the filter. Supra mounts it to the transom of the boat and you have to take apart the rear storage area to get to it. It looks like it would easy for them to move it near the engine in an easy to get to spot.

BGCook
06-22-2013, 02:07 AM
My father and I just bought a 2000 launch DD with the 5.7 assault. We have been having the exact same problem. My question is which fuel pump did you replace. Our Supra retailer keeps changing the low pressure lift pump. Did you change the low pressure or high pressure pump?