PDA

View Full Version : WHAT A CIRCUS!!!!!-a little long

88MariahATX
04-19-2010, 01:43 PM
Well took the boat out for the first after the floor and stringer rebuild. After three years I didn't think I would get to this point, so I was excited. So we backed the boat in, it started fine, no water coming in, engine idling fine. So we go out to the main part of the lake with it just in gear to see how the temp holds, did that for a little bit. I got her up to speed everything seemed fine. It was a little diffrent from what I remembered. I can feel more vibrations then before, but chalking it up to everything being solid and not water soaked. "I hope". Made several passes up and down the lake. Then I decided to see how she does at a higher speed. As we were going down the lake I started to smell something funny. So pulled into neutral opened the engine hatch to see like someone turned on the faucet to the bathtub. I paniced because I can't where it is coming from, there is already 5 inches of water in the bilge area. At this point I'm thinking we are going down. Luckly we were in front of the boat ramp when this happend so we are able to limp back "quickly". Come to find out I blew a freeze plug out and that is where the water was coming from. So now I get to pull the engine again.:mad:

Mani
04-19-2010, 01:48 PM
Crying shame, brother. Did the freeze plug blow while you were out, or did the freeze cause this?

Hope all goes well.

88MariahATX
04-19-2010, 01:54 PM
Yes it blew at wide open throttle during the test, but I had no issue before we pulled the engine out and we drained it once it was out. I guess it is just one of those things.

saltare inverts
04-19-2010, 05:16 PM
That sounds horrible. No one deserves that much headache.

csuggs
04-19-2010, 08:34 PM
UUUUUGGGHHHH. Sorry dude, that stinks! Get it fixed and get back out there!

michael hunter
04-19-2010, 08:59 PM
Is it one of the side freeze plugs? Has the engine ever been below freezing? I have never seen a freeze plug just pop out with out some help from ice? Do you have a automatic bilge pump?

88MariahATX
04-19-2010, 09:13 PM
Only one of the plugs on the driver side came out, and it happens to be the one under the motor mount. We are going to go ahead and replace all the side plugs. It has been sitting in the garage for the last 3 years and it made got below freezing a a handful of times. We had it wrapped in some old blankets. No I don't have a automatic bilge pump, I just have had issues in the past with the switch sticking. But I am thinking about going back to one after the other day.

saltare inverts
04-19-2010, 11:18 PM
Let me get this clear, the freeze plugs can come out if your motor was below freezing? Why doesnt this happen to cars trucks etc etc?

michael hunter
04-20-2010, 07:50 AM
If you just drain the engine and dont put in anti freeze it is possible to have a pocket of residual water in the block when it freezes it will push the freeze plug out. If it was full of water there would be no place for expansion and you would most likely crack the block.
When you change the freeze plugs make sure you check the ones in the heads and rear of the engine behind the flywheel.

Okie Boarder
04-20-2010, 01:07 PM
Man, that sucks. Hope you get everything figured out.

Mani
04-20-2010, 04:33 PM
Let me get this clear, the freeze plugs can come out if your motor was below freezing? Why doesnt this happen to cars trucks etc etc?

It can if you have only water in the engine, but most everybody you'll run across has antifreeze AND water in the cooling system.

It can also just happen on it's own. My father takes great care of our work truck, and after 200K miles in five years we finally ran across a bigger problem with it. One of the freeze plugs was leaking antifreeze. After removing tires, rotors, etc, etc we finally got to it, removed it and pressed a new one in. This was a matter of a worn part, not frozen water pushing it. We keep antifreeze in it at all times, and flush it every year.

michael hunter
04-20-2010, 08:10 PM
Mani
Was that freeze plug rusted out from the inside of the engine or was it in good shape and pushed out causing the leak?

Mani
04-20-2010, 08:15 PM
No rust on it. It was in good condition once removed, just leaking around one side of it. New plug installed, and problem solved.

michael hunter
04-21-2010, 10:22 AM
Well I stand corrected after working as an auto mechanic from 71 to 91 an doing friends and relatives cars since. I have never seen a freeze plug leak that wasnt rusted out or frozen and pushed out. I guess there is a first for everything.

88MariahATX
04-22-2010, 02:31 PM
Well it gets worse! Got the freeze plugs replaced without having to take the engine out. We checked the oil it was clear. We hooked up the water hose and it started right away which was good. We got it up to temp and adjusted the idle on the carb. Everything seemed good to go, then I check the oil. Instead of clear oil it looks like I have 2% milk in there. So it looks like we did some damage somewhere. Now we have to find out where the water is getting in the motor. I should have just had it rebuilt, but live and learn.

zalamander
04-22-2010, 03:12 PM
Unfortunately rebuilding wouldn't help if you have a cracked block. Your best bet may be to pull the intake manifold and heads. I sure hope for your sake that it is not a cracked block, but from what you're telling us it doesn't sound good. Good luck!

saltare inverts
04-22-2010, 03:22 PM
I hope its not cracked. If it is I recommend getting a marine 502. That will help with getting on plane with ballast.:rolleyes:

88MariahATX
04-23-2010, 10:50 PM
Well the verdict is in... Cracked block. Actually it was 2 cracks but one was enough. Hopefully I can find a block to rebuild.

michael hunter
04-24-2010, 07:49 PM
The lesson to be learned here is always fill the engine with 50/50 antifreeze any time the temp starts getting around freezing. I'm sorry you had to learn this the hard way. Maybe you saved someone else with this post. I hope it all works out for you.

zalamander
04-25-2010, 09:24 PM
Sorry to hear that... :(
I saw some marine 351 engines on ebat around $1500 - $2000 + $200 shipping.
This is the cheapest I've seen them, but you may want to pick their brains to ensure they are "marine" engines. I am not opposed to throwing a "road" engine in a boat as long as it has ben rebuilt, and has all marien parts, but I catch a lot of sh1t for this opinion. Either way I hope you get back on the water soon!
Good Luck!

88MariahATX
04-25-2010, 10:40 PM
I found a place in Florida, Rapido Marine, that has a long block for $1400. I have found some threads on other sites that state they have been happy will there engines that they bought from Rapido. They do have these labled a "True" marine engines so I hope so.