PDA

View Full Version : Conbrio vs Supra Comp TS6m

gnarlydude
04-19-2010, 07:42 PM
I'm looking at two boats, same lengths, same engines, roughly same hours, same stringer condition (I think) and similar overall condition. The conbrio is an 89 and the comp a 88. What is the main difference (besides the open bow)?
Does one fair better? Any advice out there?

mapleleaf
04-19-2010, 07:44 PM
My Conbrio, likes too get a wet bow...regularly.....Comp might stay a little drier depending on the driver.......
Love my open bow though wouldn't trade it for anything.....except a bigger boat!!!!!

gnarlydude
04-19-2010, 11:40 PM
thanks.
I figured that.
How's yours pull, and what year is it.
Got any pics?

mapleleaf
04-20-2010, 12:04 AM
I had 3 guys behind it with no prob,'s last summer.(gonna try 5 this year)... It's work in progress, I bought her pretty beat up....pics are on the user profile........I wish I'd bought the higher freeboard Sunsport, but I'm learning to make my Conbrio work..Hopping to get 1000-1200 lbs of ballast in her this year.....Its a ton of fun...turns ona dime and runs about 45 mph at the top end.....

gnarlydude
04-20-2010, 11:19 PM
thanks.
that really helped.
with a few days and research to think about it, I think i might be better off with a nautique or mastercraft instead

sybrmike
04-21-2010, 09:35 AM
They were all pretty similar & good boats back in the late 80's. Styling was really starting to differentiate the brands. Don't know your reasoning, but to each his own... Good luck in finding the right boat for you.

jet
04-21-2010, 10:32 AM
Go with the open bow for bow weight (fatsacs) and xtra seating. Mapleleaf or "Grasshopper" let me (Splinter) show you the way of the Supra with no water over the bow. Open bow or not the tsunami still comes over the windshield but gets thrown 3' in the air before it comes down on you. LMAO! After doing this several times I figured out how to do it with 1600 lbs in the boat. When the rider falls or your shutting down you have to 1/2 throttle it for 2 seconds and let the boat settle down. After 2 seconds drop to neutral and STOP (no turning) and sit for 10-15 seconds, this allows your own wake to pass and you dont have to go over it and dip the nose. After your wake passes, turn and go pick up the rider. No water over the front. (If you go to neutral TO QUICK the boat will drop down and then the rear will raise pushing the front down and taking a huge wave over the front) Remember

1. 1/2 throttle for 2 seconds (let the boat settle)
2. then to neutral and sit for 10-15 seconds (so your wake can pass)
3. then turn and pick up the rider

WARNING! WARNING!
If you see a wake (or tsunami) coming your way while your sitting there you need to react!! You need to throttle up 5% to 10% (to get the nose up)
go over the wake and then you can throttle off. Goodluck. Splinter

zalamander
04-21-2010, 11:11 AM
Go with the open bow for bow weight (fatsacs) and xtra seating. Mapleleaf or "Grasshopper" let me (Splinter) show you the way of the Supra with no water over the bow. Open bow or not the tsunami still comes over the windshield but gets thrown 3' in the air before it comes down on you. LMAO! After doing this several times I figured out how to do it with 1600 lbs in the boat. When the rider falls or your shutting down you have to 1/2 throttle it for 2 seconds and let the boat settle down. After 2 seconds drop to neutral and STOP (no turning) and sit for 10-15 seconds, this allows your own wake to pass and you dont have to go over it and dip the nose. After your wake passes, turn and go pick up the rider. No water over the front. (If you go to neutral TO QUICK the boat will drop down and then the rear will raise pushing the front down and taking a huge wave over the front) Remember

1. 1/2 throttle for 2 seconds (let the boat settle)
2. then to neutral and sit for 10-15 seconds (so your wake can pass)
3. then turn and pick up the rider

WARNING! WARNING!
If you see a wake (or tsunami) coming your way while your sitting there you need to react!! You need to throttle up 5% to 10% (to get the nose up)
go over the wake and then you can throttle off. Goodluck. Splinter

I agree... another technique that I used to have to do with my MC (closed bow, which launches bow wash right into your lap) is when your rider falls. kick the boat out to the opposite direction that you want to turn and pick him/her up.
For example: I'm driving, my rider falls, I want to turn left to pick them up. first I kick the boat out right... this sends the massive wake out in the opposite direction that I am turning, and I can make a left turn safely back down my line and pick up the rider.
I would never stop the boat, because I had a shallow S&S hull with over 1000lbs of ballast, and the wave would come over the transom if I did.

Either way, hope this helps.

DoctorJD
04-21-2010, 05:08 PM
Yea, I've got a Conbrio and you definitely have to be on your "P's and Q's" behind the wheel. An experienced driver will come up with a system of driving to prevent the tsunami effect, ala, jet. I like mine 91' Conbrio, despite having to invest about $4K in it to fix the rotted stringers. The fact that I bought the boat on the cheap made that sting a little less.

mapleleaf
04-21-2010, 05:36 PM
Yea, I've got a Conbrio and you definitely have to be on your "P's and Q's" behind the wheel. An experienced driver will come up with a system of driving to prevent the tsunami effect, ala, jet. I like mine 91' Conbrio, despite having to invest about $4K in it to fix the rotted stringers. The fact that I bought the boat on the cheap made that sting a little less.

I'm with the doc.....stringers coming....preliminary digging this spring tells me I'm still good for a couple years...never the less their still goinna have to be redone.......

supratj
05-03-2010, 12:19 AM
Did all Conbrios and Comps have stringer problems?

Thanks from a newbie

87SunSportMikeyD
05-03-2010, 10:47 AM
all supras before 92 had wooden interiors.

firstdogriver
05-05-2010, 09:20 AM
From my research the comp hull and conbrio hull were the same thing. Also they used the same engines, the ford 5.8L 351W (pleasurecraft). They both kick out the same type of wake table. I'm not sure but the transmission in the comp might be a 1:1 where as the conbrio has a 1.23:1 gear reduction which allowed the conbrio to use a bigger prop. The comp would use a 13X13 and the conbrio would use a 14 X 16, 17, 18. This made the conbrio a little faster on the top end than the comp. Hence the name conbrio which is a musical term that means lively and with spirit.

jet
05-05-2010, 09:27 AM
Not sure about the 13's coming on the comp's. Mine and most I have seen came with the 14x14 prop. ??

87SunSportMikeyD
05-05-2010, 10:30 AM
Sometimes it can vary by year too. Earlier year models may be more likely to have a 1:1 and 13"diam. My 87 is 1:1 but many 89's are 1.23:1