PDA

View Full Version : Stripe removal/wetsanding thread

jet
04-19-2010, 11:42 PM
Ok, stripe removal and wetsanding thread with pictures. Started with a heat gun and the 1st 3' is F&*king hard, but after you get the hang of it Its pretty easy. I did the whole boat in 2 hrs. #1 heat up the your 1st 2"-4" and use your nail to pull a corner up, then start pulling and heat up 2"-3" in front of the stripe your pulling off..slowwwly. It needs to heat up for like 3-5 seconds and get a little melty then cool down some before you pull it off the boat. I was pulling off 3'-6' pieces without tearing it. Go slow and steady. Look at the difference under neath the tape..Its a brand new boat! More to come later. Jet

iLikeBoats
04-20-2010, 12:22 AM
How much water do you use when youre doing this? I was thinking like a spray bottle and then wet the area down and sand it...?

jet
04-20-2010, 09:00 AM
Yep, thats what I've been told.

dusty2221
04-20-2010, 09:20 AM
Man, if the whole boat looks like that when you're done you won't know what to do with yourself!

jet
04-20-2010, 11:35 AM
Im having trouble with the glue that was left behind from the stripes. Acetone and another acid hull cleaner wont go through the glue, I even heated it up first and nothing!! Any ideas?? Jet

jzelt
04-20-2010, 01:33 PM
Goo be gone and a straight razor or possibly a credit card edge?
Haven't taken off any striping, just throwing it out as an option if nothing else.

suprava10
04-20-2010, 02:07 PM
I have used brake cleaner in the past or even carb cleaner in short bursts. It evaporates quick enough and if you are going to buff and clean the surface anyways then you should be good to go!!

I have done this on multiple boats over the years and haven't had any issues with discoloration, fading, gelcoat eating, etc.

jet
04-20-2010, 02:12 PM
Yeah, good ole carb cleaner is the only thing working. but Its still rolling up in little glue balls..I HATE THIS SHIT!! &$%#!!!

ha..I feel better now..

Okie Boarder
04-20-2010, 03:18 PM
How much water do you use when youre doing this? I was thinking like a spray bottle and then wet the area down and sand it...?

I have heard about the spray bottle. I started that way until my hand got sore and switched to the hose.

iLikeBoats
04-21-2010, 03:23 AM
Thanks Okie good call with the hose. I have my cousin tho too who could probably assist me too, he just doesnt know it yet haha

jet
04-21-2010, 10:50 AM
Finally found the Best way to get rid of the leftover glue. You will need a can of carb cleaner and a razor blade. Spray the glue with the carb cleaner and wait 10 seconds (20 seconds is too long, it strats to dry quickly) it will soften up and you can take the razor blade and slide it along and the glue 98% of it will come up. More to come later. Jet

Hey Okie or anyone else. I am fixing (yes I'm from Tx) to start wetsanding, how long do I need to sand each section?? I'm starting with 600 and finishing with 1500.

sybrmike
04-21-2010, 02:46 PM
McKinney? That's still up in yankee land. Down in the true South, it's pronounce "fixin" - come on "yall" gotta drop the "g". ;)

I was lucky my stripes were already gone, but left a nice ghost image so I'll be wetsanding as well. The POS PO had glued the carpet to the bottom edges of the inside lip of the cap at the floor - took lots of "goo-gone" and razorblades. My fingers feel your pain (literally).

My entire hull is badly oxidized, so I'll be starting off course grit too. I know a few different techniques have been posted before, but I'm going 600, 800, 1000 grit. Then compound and polish (both with rotary buffer). Good luck & let us know what works out for you.

Okie Boarder
04-21-2010, 05:52 PM
I just sanded until it seemed like the oxidation was gone. A lot of times I looked for some of my gel color in the water. But, I didn't go as aggressive as you. I started with 1000 grit.

mapleleaf
04-21-2010, 05:54 PM
Jet, you may want to rethink that 6 hundo, might be a bit harsh......8 should be a good starting point if not a 1000.....

Okie Boarder
04-22-2010, 11:06 AM
I agree with maple. Start with 1000 and do a small area. Wash it off and dry it, then see if you got the oxidation off. If it got it off, stick with 1000. If not, try 800 and go through the same process.