PDA

View Full Version : Cooler drain problems

tgh08
07-03-2002, 12:41 PM
Need ideas for my cooler in my 2001 Launch. When draining, does everyones drain to the storage area and then into the carpet, running out under the cooler itself and seat. Pain in the %$@&. Anyone have ideas to redirect this. I have looked into putting a drain tube but there is no room for such between the actual cooler and the floor plan. Terrible design for such a great boat! Help...ideas welcomed.

solo
07-08-2002, 08:56 AM
tgh08,

I know what you are referring to because I have a 2001 Launch, If you are talking about why the carpet in front of the cooler/seat gets wet, I feel, it is because when you put ice in the cooler, the inside temp. of the cooler is colder than the under side of the cooler which is in the storage area. This causes the bottom side of the cooler the sweet/condensate, and sweet out into the carpet, I beleive there is a tube that drains down into the bilge area, and the wet spot is coming from condensation off of the bottom of the cooler. I quit using my cooler because it was starting to bleed out the carpet color.

tgh08
07-08-2002, 09:12 AM
You've got a point...that probably is a great portion of my problem. I looked under (with great difficulty) my cooler and they left off my tube and no hole drilled into the lower floor. It is carperted under the belly of my cooler and just drains into the storage area and then runs off in to the basement area. That is, after soaking up every thing in the area. I think I am going to put that rubber coating like you do tools and drill a new drain...lots of good storage to waste. Thanks

Dan Birchler
07-13-2002, 11:01 PM
Well, I previously thought that my drain into the bilge must be leaking but...you all are right. there is a hole cut in the floor for the drain but the carpet isn't cut through and so far I can't see inside of the area where the drain is to see if it just wasn't finished (by accident) or if this haphazard way to deal with the cooler drain was intentional. In either case, I know that I'm not alone. If someone figures out a good fix, be sure to publish it here. Thanks.

Jaytee
07-22-2002, 09:18 PM
I just posted this problem into another area......I'm looking for some type of fix. Hoping Skier's Choice is investigating.

SUPRA SAM
08-06-2002, 08:53 AM
I was skeptical and didn't believe you guys, but I finally thought I would try out the cooler last week in our 2002 Legacy. I was taking out my two boys and two of their firends and I didn't want to mess with our regular cooler. Well, by the time we got to the lake and launched, we had cold carpet. That area of carpet doesn't usually get super soaked, but it did that day. We will probably go back the carry on cooler and use the under seat cooler as the trash recepticle as we have been doing up to now. The ice lasts longer in the carry on anyway!!

The boat is still great. We're up to 62 hours!!!!

Dan Birchler
08-13-2002, 04:26 AM
I am now up to 75 hours on my 02 Launch. Generally, our boat is also "great". This cooler issue is an absolute fiasco! I have temporarily gotten around this poor Assembly/Design/Quality control issue by instructing everyone in my family to NOT pull the plug in the cooler. We are taking a towel and a mixing bowl and sopping up the water out of the cooler to eliminate the cold water and who knows what else draining into the black hole under the cooler. I can only imagine what kind of mold problems this issue is creating for all of us down the road :-(

tgh08
09-09-2002, 05:55 PM
Got two ideas for the cooler problem. 1) Seal the drain and drill another hole, run a tube to the front bilge area. I did this however alot of trouble. I then coated the cooler with the same rubber coating product that you coat tools with. Much better at keeping things cold. 2) If wish I had done this instead of the previous, is that I got a large coleman soft cooler, removed the hard liner and placed the soft portion in the cooler area under the seat. Place your favorite beverages in it and at the end of the day, you can lift out the remaining (water) and dump.

johnny g
04-16-2003, 11:37 AM
I know this is an old thread, but I'm a new member.

I'm glad to see I'm not crazy. I have a 2000 Launch and began noticing the problem with leakage immediately.

After investigating, on mine a hole was drilled in the floor under the cooler drain. The problem is there is about 1/2" to 1" gap between the drain and the floor. Not to mention they don't line up.

I thought it was an oversight/unfinished flaw. It appears the problem is much bigger.

So, like many of you I have just stopped using as cooler and use it for empties or other dry storage.