PDA

View Full Version : Putting In Polks

saltare inverts
04-21-2010, 10:49 PM
[/B]2431

2434I decided to replace my Clarion Components with New Polk Audio speakers. The clarions were two seasons old and look what the woofers did. I will never buy clarion again. I am pleased with the polks sound, price and looks lets see how they hold up.

saltare inverts
04-22-2010, 06:09 AM
Better pic of clarion speakers falling apart. I saw another thread on hear talking about Polk speakers being car speakers and not for marine. Well they are marine certified and Correct Craft is one company that puts them in their boats at the factory.

sybrmike
04-22-2010, 09:38 AM
Hope the upgrade sounds as good as it looks.

I like the LED, but what happened to the cup holders? - what's a man to do with the cold beverages?

87SunSportMikeyD
04-22-2010, 09:42 AM
S_I Thanks for the pics but I am unable to see what happened to the Clarions. Could you please describe? I think I have same brand, different model :p

I am pretty sure you can get either marine or car audio versions of the Polk Momo. Similar to Kicker, Clarion, etc.

saltare inverts
04-22-2010, 10:55 AM
Mikey,Look at second reply I put up has better pics of what the Clarions did. The woofer just warped at severals spots looks like a taco salad bowl. My new Polks are marine certified. Sybermike, have no fear. Im building cupholders with LEDs that will sit on floor at corners of seats, similar to newer boats. Got to have places for beer and Mountain Dew. I wanted to get rid of cupholders that were there, kids liked to use them as steps and diving boards, dont last long.

2002 LAUNCH SS OWNER
04-22-2010, 02:06 PM
[/B]2431

2434I decided to replace my Clarion Components with New Polk Audio speakers. The clarions were two seasons old and look what the woofers did. I will never buy clarion again. I am pleased with the polks sound, price and looks lets see how they hold up.

I have 4 Polk db 651 speakers in the main area of my boat and decided to put Alpines in the bow because 651 have a very open grill and I thought some cute girl may get her toe stuck in grille or heaven forbid break my speaker.

The Polks sound awesome and the Alpines worked out well too, I have 1 pair of Roswell component tower speakers and a 10 inch free air Alpine Marine Sub, 3 amps to power these spaekers and now I am going Deaf***

Glad you are enjoying your polks they sound great and are really good value
Dave 2002 Launch SS Owner

saltare inverts
04-22-2010, 03:30 PM
Yea I totally agree with the open grills. I am thinking of putting some mesh on them, they look so god though. I have MB Quart speakers in the nose, I love those speakers. I got a Polk MM twelve for the BASS pushed by a MTX 601D. It rattles hard. I also got two Polk 6x9 for tower. I am looking for more to put on the tower. I have a friend who put four 7 inch JL audios in his rear transom(just like epic) it works real well. Very load. I am just having trouble cutting even two holes for 6.5s in the butt of my babay.

sybrmike
04-22-2010, 07:32 PM
Glad you've got the beverage situation resolved.

What kind of Polk 6x9's ya got up there? & what kind of cans are they in. I need some tower speakers, but not ready (probably never will be...) to take the hlcd plunge. I do like the idea though of more sound from 6x9 vs smaller roundies.

saltare inverts
04-22-2010, 08:13 PM
For last four years I had a pair of Memphis 6x9s on my tower. I could hear them clear and crisp while boarding or tubing etc. They finally gave out so I got Polk DB to put on the tower. I am thinking of adding two more for the fisherman to hear. Correct Craft and others use them on their towers so they must be good. I let you know how they sound.

adopsahl
07-09-2010, 12:18 PM
I have 2 sets of Polk MM651UM on the way to replace the Kenwood speakers in my Roswell tower. Hoping it isn't overkill. They are a little more expensive than the db's, but it looks like they can handle a bit more.

Anyone have any thoughts on whether it is overkill, or a bad choice?

Thanks.

rludtke
07-09-2010, 01:17 PM
Beer and Mountain Dew? that's a new one. What do you call it, Mt. St. Helens? :)

kodybyron
07-09-2010, 02:47 PM
**jaws theme song plays softly** all a sudden i see a fin...wait could it be...Jonyb?

wotan2525
07-09-2010, 05:41 PM
I have 4 Polk db 651 speakers in the main area of my boat and decided to put Alpines in the bow because 651 have a very open grill and I thought some cute girl may get her toe stuck in grille or heaven forbid break my speaker.

I have thoroughly tested the grills on the new Kicker speakers and can say with great certainty that neither the grills or the speaker cones can withstand a water balloon impact from one of these: http://www.slingking.com/beast.html

Granted -- it was from very, very close range. ;)

saltare inverts
07-09-2010, 05:56 PM
Wotan I cant decide on the blonde or the brunette from the ad.

jonyb
07-09-2010, 06:44 PM
I have 2 sets of Polk MM651UM on the way to replace the Kenwood speakers in my Roswell tower. Hoping it isn't overkill. They are a little more expensive than the db's, but it looks like they can handle a bit more.

Anyone have any thoughts on whether it is overkill, or a bad choice?

Thanks.

Wetsounds XS-650's after blowing out the tweeters in 6 out of 6 Polk db651 and 4 out of 6 Polk MMC's. No more Polks for me ever, the tweeters just don't take enough power. The XS-650s sound much better too, probably a 20% improvement in overall system sound just by changing the interior speakers.

Since you asked, that was posted today.