PDA

View Full Version : Proper Break in procedure

Mani
04-22-2010, 10:28 AM
I'm sure most of you have seen my other thread about rebuilding my Sunsport from the Hull up, and as it stands I've searched hours on end without a convincing break in procedure for a rebuilt 351w.

The only thing that's matching up everywhere is to use conventional oil, keep a close eye on the water temp, and to change the oil after the first five hours, all of which I'm aware of.

From this point on there's no such thing as a general consensus on anything. I've heard everything from drive it like you stole to baby it for 60 hours. The PCM manual says it takes 5 hours at certain RPMs, but thats for new engines that have already been run, during lake and tank tests.

Any takers?

Fman
04-22-2010, 08:46 PM
Indmar was no constant heavy loads for the first 10 hours of use, just be smart and use common sense.

Mani
04-22-2010, 10:29 PM
Sounds doable. Thanks, Fman.

beast 496
04-22-2010, 11:45 PM
After a new install or a rebuild, we always run WOT to verify proper RPM and proper running condition. Basically do not run WOT for extended times also do not run at idle for hours either. Vary the throttle, and use like you normally would. Al