PDA

View Full Version : 86 Supra Stereo and Speakers recomendations?

mathp
04-22-2010, 12:18 PM
I need to put in a new stereo and speakers in my Sunsport. Nothing too pricey but quality. Any recomendations?

saltare inverts
04-22-2010, 01:43 PM
Polk, kicker for price vs. good sound. Wetsounds to go all out. You wil be better of getting less good stuff than more average to junky stuff. Always check your fitment.

87SunSportMikeyD
04-23-2010, 10:03 AM
What are you looking for? Just new cabin speakers? Or tower speakers or a sub? Are you looking to add an amp, or just use a new head unit for cabin speakers?

mathp
06-07-2010, 09:19 PM
I'm getting a new headunit and 4 cabin speakers. I went to Earmark today and looking at Kenwood KMR-700u, KMR - 330, KMR-44ou, and Alpine CDA 9886 for the head unit and the Alpine SPSM600 for speakers. I am most interested in using my Iphone or Touch and don't even care if i have a CD, but I want it to be easy to use and the best sound quality I can get with this kind of setup. I am missing anything out there that would work better in a reasonable price range? I'm sure it will be better than whatever it was I bought back in '89! But of course I keep wanting more.

mathp
06-07-2010, 09:21 PM
one other thing, I asked about the Wet sounds speakers and was told if I did that I would need to get an amp, 2nd battery, and the maybe subwoofer so the additional cost would be exponential. Thoughts? I like to rock like anyone else but reluctant to speand 20% of the value of the boat on a stereo.

jonyb
06-07-2010, 11:53 PM
Forget the Kenwood if you want sound quality and easy iPod controls. The Alpine is the ONLY choice for those 2 options, which seem to be the most important.

For cabin speakers, I recommend the Wet Sounds SS-65's if you'r on a budget. ANY cabin speaker will need an amplifier to sound worth anything. I don't care if the radio says 55X4 or not, they're only about 16-17W per channel, at the most. You won't need a monster amp for those 65's though, they're pretty efficient.

What about the install? Are you doing this yourself, having a friend, or were you going to pay Earmark?

For an amp and sub, you could use a Syn6 using channels 1-4 to power the boat speakers, then channels 5-6 to power a sub. The WS XS-12 in a ported enclosure sounds really good in that configuration. I did that same install on Haugy's older Supra last year and he loved it. I didn't use the 65's though, i used the 650's because the other ones weren't out yet.

A dollar amount on your budget would help here.

dshaff24
06-09-2010, 10:15 PM
I just got Clarion 309m with wired remote and Polk Db 6x9's and an amp and Polk MM series double blunt Tower Speakers

I believe I got 1k in all of it and its sounds Awesome,

Id like to hear some of these systems on here that have 3 amps etc etc,, Just seems like Overkill but I could be wrong, I like Loud music but I couldn't see going any louder!

csuggs
06-09-2010, 11:04 PM
I'll have to let you know how my new MB Quart system works out. I had to order a very special ipod cable to work with the head unit and do not have it yet. MB Quart WM1 AM-FM-CD-MP3-Ipod with four MB Quart speakers. No subs or tower speakers at this point.

Hematoma
06-11-2010, 10:11 AM
I went with all kenwood, I couldn't be more pleased. I have this setup in the boat.
Kenwood head unit HD, iPod compatble
4-6.5
2-6-9
2-5-1/4 in dash
4 6.5 tower speakers
3 kenwood 2 channel amps
1 kenwood 4 channel amp
2 12" subs under bow drivers side.

At 75' rope lenght at 23mph I can hear it clear as day. For form and function you can't beat kenwood.