PDA

View Full Version : Whats that best process for reteaking the swim platform?

dshaff24
04-24-2010, 12:00 PM
Just got my bottle of Teak oil yesterday and was planning on working on this during the week, Just wondering if I should Pressure wash or Sand it before I start applying this Oil on it! If you got your method to it POST IT UP! Thanks

NeilMcg
04-24-2010, 02:44 PM
I pressure wash mine first, being careful not to gouge the wood. After that I scrub it down with a bleach solution, let it dry completely, then oil.

Kip
04-24-2010, 04:18 PM
Mine had a laquer? coating on it from the previous owner that was in pretty bad condition so I sanded it all off and then applied the Teak oil. I was very surprised at how much oil I used I went through almost 2 of the little pint cans.

mapleleaf
04-24-2010, 08:50 PM
Another great way to get the oil to penetrate deep into the teak is to cut it with a thinner, turpintine would do.
Prep the platform: pressure wash , bleach or sand
1St coat 25% oil 75% thinner
2ND coat 50/50
3rd coat 75/25
4th and on can be full oil....
Should really get the oil deep to protect it longer...
Let it dry fully between coats 24-48 hrs......

Okie Boarder
04-25-2010, 10:59 AM
We used the "Amazon's" kit with the cleaner and oil and it did really good.

I like the idea of thinning out the oil. That's kind of the concept of CPES. Seems like it would work well.

mapleleaf
04-25-2010, 05:14 PM
The important detail is to thin with the right stuff, turpentine is good for oils, where polyurethanes require mineral spirits...any deviation from that will end in disaster...

Kip
04-25-2010, 11:00 PM
I really like the idea of thinning it to get it deeper into the wood. Last year I sanded and oiled the platform and by the end of the year it had dried out quite a bit. How often do you guys put oil on your swim deck?

mapleleaf
04-25-2010, 11:41 PM
I learned that tech. from a sailboat restorer last summer. He did a mast for my family that is tung oil and turpentine and the thing is bullet proof, looks like a hardwood floor without the urethane....
I think he said it was 8 coats.......with proper curing time between coats......

87SunSportMikeyD
04-26-2010, 10:34 AM
Mine was so black and cracked surface, we sanded the whole thing (took a few hours), then used two part teak guard (cleaner then the "stain" sorry words failing me today)