PDA

View Full Version : dewinterized and doing a little backfiring....

mapleleaf
04-24-2010, 08:41 PM
So I dewinterized the boat today with my son, and all went well (fluids all looked clear after she was warm).Seemed to have a hard time getting her up to temp. on the hose, and experienced some backfiring while warming her up and trying to find her idle.....Wondering if this is normal for an engine that hasn't run in while? Rebuilt carb last year, new cap wires, points and plugs all with maybe 20 hrs on them, stabil'd my fuel and still was hard to find idle.....She goes to a mechanic for some tweaking in a couple weeks, I build him a deck, he does belts, timing, manifold and valve cover gaskets and hopefully fixes my electric choke...
Ant thoughts on the back firing and trouble finding an idle????

87SunSportMikeyD
04-25-2010, 09:05 AM
I'm no pro but I would maybe try the power valve test at holleys website

michael hunter
04-25-2010, 11:16 AM
Check the dwell or point gap and timing. Did you run it after the carb rebuild did it backfire? How did it run before you put it away? Old Gas or new?

mapleleaf
04-25-2010, 02:19 PM
I was hoping to hear from Dr. Hunter on this one...
Hasn't backfired since the carb rebuild and I ran it empty on the water, filled it with new gas, stabiled and winterized....drain, antifreeze.....(and on your prescription brought my impeller inside....
I'm going to have my buddy look at the carb while he's doing the other stuff......