PDA

View Full Version : 2005 indmar 340 altenator

waterboy2010
04-24-2010, 11:41 PM
My stock altenator is no longer charging so I had to replace it. The stock altenator is either 90 or 95 amps while the new altenator that I have is 65 amps. I have the stock speaker and 4 tower speakers on a 2005 supra sunsport 24'. Will the 65 amp alt be able to keep up? Also I know when upgrading the altenator amperage you need to upgrade the wires and fuses but since I have downgraded do I have to do anything?

The old altenator had a orange power wire, black ground wire and a purple and red wire that clipped into the back of it. The new altenator had the red and purple wire coming out of it and doesn't have a female plug for the clip that is coming from the engine. Is there anywhere I can buy this female clip to install on the wire coming out of the new altenator or would it be best to cut the male plug off of the male clip coming from the engine and just splice the wires together? Also there is nothing on the new altenator marking which post the positive and negative wires go. On the old altenator the positive wire went to the thicker stud and the negative went to the smaller stud. Would this also be true with the new altenator even though both studs on the newer altenator are smaller in size than the old altenator?

docdrs
04-25-2010, 12:28 AM
take it back and get at least a 90 amp, who sold this to you? its not enough is your new one even a marine one?

waterboy2010
04-25-2010, 08:43 PM
take it back and get at least a 90 amp, who sold this to you? its not enough is your new one even a marine one?

I bought the boat from a dealer that is 3 hours away. After I called them and explained to them that it didn't work they said they would send me a new one. It has been a month since they sent it and i'm afraid they won't take it back now. When you say its not enough do you mean that it wont get me through a day at the river with speakers blaring all day or that it won't even do the basic charging of the primary battery. Since it was free I would like to use it if I could without forking out extra cash on another right now since I just purchased the boat. It is a marine altenator.

If I do decide to go with it do I just cut the clip and solder the wires together?

waterboy2010
05-02-2010, 11:49 PM
After contemplating on whether or not to keep the altenator I finally decided to hook it up and see what it would do. I cut off the clip and solded the wires together then hooked up the power and ground. I charged the batteries and took the boat to the lake. The batteries started out with 12volts of charge. The altenator would charge them up to around 13.5 - 14 volts and they would stay there for about 10 seconds then drop right back down to 12volts. Is this normal or should the batteries stay charged at 14volts longer than that? I never had them drop below 12volts but they never held a charged higher than that for longer than 30 seconds and would fall right back down. Also when they were charging the engine compartment made a noise. I thought it sounded like the belt slipping. How do you tighten the belt? I just pulled the altenator as hard as I could towards me and tightened the #6 allen head bolt. Is this the correct way or is there some sort of tool that should be used for this? I also had the water pump spraying water everywhere which could've helped with the belt slipping issue.

Fman
05-03-2010, 12:34 AM
To tighten the alternator you need to loosen the #6 allen and there is also another bolt on top (cant recall what size) that needs to be loosened. Just putting pressure on it with your hand wont get it tight enough, you need to get a bar inbetween the alternator/bracket to apply pressure then tighten down one of the bolts (I did the one on top which is easiest to access), this will hold it enough to tighten down the allen bolt.

And I would take Docs advice, dont install an alternator that is less amps than the stock one. There should be plenty of places to purchase the exact alternator that you had before. You should always be charging at 14-14.5 volts.