PDA

View Full Version : Boat Not Starting

Chachi
04-25-2010, 05:19 PM
So I dropped the boat in the water today, turned the key and my boat wouldn't start. I then turned the key over so the accessories were on and when I turned it further to start the boat I could hear a click in the engine and all the accessories turned off and the boat didn't start. Now when I turn the key nothing comes on and the boat doesn't start. I just put in a new battery also. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Chris

Mani
04-25-2010, 05:28 PM
Sounds like your starter solenoid was trying to engage but not enough juice to start it all up. Go take your battery to Autozone and have them test and charge it. From what you described it sounds like the culprit is most certainly a dead battery.

Chachi
04-25-2010, 05:41 PM
Thanks Mani. I find it a little odd that it would be the battery considering I just out in a new one, but I suppose I could have bought one that didn't have a good charge.

darflinger
04-25-2010, 06:01 PM
sometimes it will seem like the battery is dead, when in fact its the starters solinoid. when it gets corroded, it draws HUGE current from the battery and doesnt engage the starter. I've been folled many times.

Mani
04-25-2010, 07:06 PM
Darflinger has a great point. It could be the solenoid itself, and it will keep draining your battery. Easiest thing to do still would be to get the battery tested before you pull the starter. You still gotta get it charged since there's no juice to even run your dash, so they can do it all at the same time.

87SunSportMikeyD
04-26-2010, 10:36 AM
Ya this sounds like good advice. We took our starter off and noticed the solenoid was not engaging when we applied power. We had to replace the starter (it had gotten wet a few times)

Chachi
04-27-2010, 01:54 AM
UGH!!!!! Thanks for the help guys! This is my first boat and I just wanna get it on the water! I think I will just take all your advice and run with it. Thanks again!

87SunSportMikeyD
04-27-2010, 12:58 PM
Chachi we are neighbors, bro! We will have to hook up this summer. Hook that battery up to the charger for a couple days, then try it again in the driveway with the hose on low ready to stick in the raw water intake if she pops over (will be okay with whatever water or antif is in it now for starting). If she doesn't start with a charged battery, pop off the starter and bring it to the auto store for free testing. Should just be a couple bolts.

michael hunter
04-27-2010, 07:34 PM
Check all the battery connections both hot and ground remove and clean all connections.
If the battery is good and the connections are good its most likely the starter.