PDA

View Full Version : Saltwater Mess

zalamander
04-25-2010, 09:53 PM
So... I've got the hull to my boat in the shop having the stringers redone, and I decided to refurbish the engine myself. Just stripping it down and replacing all the gaskets and seals. After I removed the heads noticed that almost all of the water ports were clogged or had significant rust scale built up on them. I have used a rotary tool to clean them out, but I noticed that there is scale built up on the cylinder walls (non piston side). I know that this can cause hot spots on the cylinders since the water can't flow around them, but I was wondering if there is a way to remove this without a rebuild, or how concerned I should actually be. I've included pics of the block (prior to cleaning)... and you can see all the rust.

zalamander
04-25-2010, 10:07 PM
Also... If I need to buy a new engine is my '90 Sunsport a standard or reverse rotation 351? Thanks Again
~Z~

88MariahATX
04-25-2010, 10:49 PM
If there is nothing wrong with the engine mechanically you don't need to buy a new one. I would suggest that you should go have it rebuilt. A machine shop should be able to get that out. I would rebuild it just for the feeling of knowing that it is refreshed. But that is just my 2 cents.

Mani
04-25-2010, 11:55 PM
I might be wrong, but shouldn't you have the surfaces machined flat if you remove the heads after the engines been run for a while, anyways?
I may be biased, given my current situation/rebuild but I say rebuild it. You'll thank yourself when she purrs like new again.

Mani
04-25-2010, 11:57 PM
I believe that if you're standing, facing the back of the motor, it should turn counter clockwise for standard rotation, and clockwise for reverse rotatio.

beast 496
04-26-2010, 10:20 AM
Did you forget to drain the block before you removed the heads? Why is water in cylinder? Did you have a head gasket problem? Always view from the flywheel end of the motor for rotation. You have a left hand rotation motor, CCW rotation. The 351 Fords are good engines, extreme durability. Al

87SunSportMikeyD
04-26-2010, 10:31 AM
ask beast your questions he seems like a good resource :)

zalamander
04-26-2010, 11:08 AM
Did you forget to drain the block before you removed the heads? Why is water in cylinder? Did you have a head gasket problem? Always view from the flywheel end of the motor for rotation. You have a left hand rotation motor, CCW rotation. The 351 Fords are good engines, extreme durability. Al

Thanks Beast... and everyone else! I did not forget to drain it, I think there must have been a head gasket problem. With this knowledge, I will probably take the block in and have it rebuilt.
Thanks Again,
Z

saltare inverts
04-26-2010, 12:13 PM
GM Crate 502, order it.

zalamander
04-26-2010, 12:20 PM
I've thought about going with a GM motor. I have some Gearhead friends, that would give me a built big block for cheap, but I don't know where to get the bellhousing adapter for the trans. Any thoughts?

Actually I was just thinking, I would need all new "marine" accessories too. May not want to go through that this season.

beast 496
04-26-2010, 01:04 PM
No reason to go the GM route, You will need alot of items, exhaust, cooling system, motor mounts, bellhousing, flex plate, stater, alternator, fuel pump, carb, and so forth. Just take the engine to a reputable machine shop, they can rebuild for approximatly 2k. Good luck Al

Mani
04-26-2010, 02:04 PM
2K? I paid less than 1K with taxes and all for mine. I just stripped the engine to roughly the same condition yours is in right now, and they put all new parts in it, cleaned it up, and painted it. Really well known machine shop, too.

beast 496
04-26-2010, 03:58 PM
Wow mani you got a deal, Usually the parts alone cost 1k. piston's, cam, lifters, valves gaskets, brgs, ect. not to mention the machine cost of boring, milling pressing valve seats. Al

Mani
04-26-2010, 05:19 PM
Beast, I got all of the above done for $790 + tax at city motor supply in Dallas, TX.

zalamander
04-26-2010, 07:13 PM
I took the heads in today to have surfaced.... Looks like I need to go to Texas. My machine shop told me $1800 for rebuild. Beast, after the few seconds of dreaming, I realized the same thing that you mentioned... way too expensive for all of the parts to modify to Marine.
Thanks for all the help,
Z

sybrmike
04-26-2010, 09:57 PM
Agreed, best long term solution is to have the original marine engine rebuilt professionally. However, you can get a quick cheap fix by sourcing a "low milage" auto engine (small block ford 351 I assume) from a salvage yard.

A mechanic buddy lost a main bearing in his Air Centurion middle of last season. Picked up a junk motor for $400 to hold him over while his was being rebuilt and just swapped over the marine components & accessories. Admittedly not quite as strong as the original, but good enough that he still hasn't bothered to reinstall the rebuilt engine. Just an option.