PDA

View Full Version : Belt squeeling

Fman
04-27-2010, 01:46 AM
Finally got out Sunday for the first time this season, was a little windy but by 4:00 it died off and the evening was fantastic. I noticed my belt would start squeeling a little, I checked it out and it looks fine. I sprayed some belt dressing on there before I took it out and it still seems to do it at times. Its not excessively loud but I can hear it a little.

Anything I should be looking for? good belt dressing to use that might eleviate this? I have about 152 hours on the belt, no cracks, or wear signs that I can see.

Oh yea, and BTW the HSE Sound Evolution worked great! Thumbs up for that mod!

saltare inverts
04-27-2010, 08:16 AM
Belts usually only sqeel if worn out, have a bad spot or are loose. You might check to see if when pushed on by hand belt moves more than 3/4 of an inch it is loose. If that is ok you may have a worn belt or bad spot. Belts can be tricky, they can look perfect but be worn more than one might think. I always carry a net set on my boat and I change mine every year. Its that piece of mind I like.

beast 496
04-27-2010, 08:48 AM
You should have a serpentine belt, no dressing required, anyway dressing is just a band aid for a real problem. Check to see if tensioner is set properly, and if all pulleys are rotating good. Bearings seem to take a set sometimes in the winter. Are your battery;s low, causeing excessive pull on the alternator? Troubleshoot a little more. Al

Fman
04-27-2010, 11:21 AM
You should have a serpentine belt, no dressing required, anyway dressing is just a band aid for a real problem. Check to see if tensioner is set properly, and if all pulleys are rotating good. Bearings seem to take a set sometimes in the winter. Are your battery;s low, causeing excessive pull on the alternator? Troubleshoot a little more. Al

I will take a little better look at these items, and yes I have the serpentine belt. Thanks for the information.

Fman
04-27-2010, 05:49 PM
After looking at the belt today I believe it might be a little loose, how much play should be in it? It looks like I have at least 3/4", but it feels a little sloppy compared to the serpentine belt on my sequoia. And it appears to not have an auto adjuster tensioner but rather just a bolt on the alternator bracket that you loosen and apply torque and re-tighten. Is is that simple to tighten or am I missing something? Would a loose belt cause some squeeling at times?

Thanks for any input....

docdrs
04-27-2010, 08:37 PM
i had the same prob on my moomba, loose belt with a bad spot after it sat a winter, try tightening, if no improve then change the belt

Fman
04-27-2010, 11:30 PM
i had the same prob on my moomba, loose belt with a bad spot after it sat a winter, try tightening, if no improve then change the belt

Hey Doc, just tightened it up today. I had about 1" of give in it, now it has about 3/4", hopefully this will take care of it. I would hope I would get more than 150 hours on the belt. I am still in warranty for the engine and would have to make a claim on that one.

Fman
05-11-2010, 04:31 PM
Just got an email back from Indmar, on the serpentine belts they are tightening to 1/4-1/2" rather than the 3/4" I was adjusting mine at. Just a little FYI for anyone with a newer CAT ETX Indmar w/serpentine belt.

tg0824SSVGG
05-11-2010, 06:09 PM
Thanks Travis!!

Gravity08
05-11-2010, 07:41 PM
Do you check that with the engine running? J/k. I will need to get my checked out before we put in. I did a new alternator a few weeks ago.

jaywidhalm
05-11-2010, 07:45 PM
Yes, thanks for the info.

jaywidhalm
05-11-2010, 07:48 PM
Does anyone know about how much this belt is??

Fman
05-12-2010, 12:41 AM
Does anyone know about how much this belt is??

Jay, I just ordered a spare from www.inboardonline.com for $22, and they are offering an additional 10% off this price. See the link below. Sorry for some reason the link would not copy correctly.

Item #: 725034
Description: BELT SERP 5.7 2003 & NEWER
Fits 2003 & newer Indmar 5.7 Serpentine belt applications
BELT SERP 5.7 2003 & NEWER
Fits 2003 & newer Indmar 5.7 Serpentine belt applications

jaywidhalm
05-12-2010, 12:43 PM
Thats not too bad for a boat part!! Thanks again.