PDA

View Full Version : Surfboard Racks?

ssmith
04-27-2010, 01:37 PM
I'm tired of not having a place to put my thicker board(s). However, the price of some of these racks just seems crazy to me. I need at least a rack for 2 surf boards. The dbot5 rack with the strap on looks good but is pricey. I don't think any are cheap though.

What racks are you guys using and whats the best bang for the buck?

Having a QD would be nice too. It would help when I'm putting the boat in its storage bay.

Thanks.

jonyb
04-27-2010, 01:52 PM
Roswell makes a pair of tines for a surboard to go on the racks that you already have, but they're pricey.

ssmith
04-27-2010, 02:07 PM
Yeah, I saw that in an older thread on here. Did you ever get a set and/or find out the price? They look good tho and its exactly what I need.

$$$$ everywhere I look!

ScottnAz
04-27-2010, 02:42 PM
I have the Dbot5 rack and have been relatively happy with it over the last couple seasons. The quick disconnect spline/clamp seems to have quite a bit of wobble, so I torque it down with an allen wrench to make it more stable. I suppose that kind of defeats the purpose of the QD, but I don't want the rack wobbling around.

As you get in to the more delicate boards try to find a spot for the rack that stores the boards as vertically as possible to take the pressure off the board where it meets the rack forks. I actually removed one of my swivel wakeboard racks to make room for the surf rack.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n315/woodwrangler/PICT0010.jpg

KG's Supra24
04-27-2010, 05:43 PM
Had the same problem, want vs price. Monster solved my problems.

i believe it was $190 per. Each one only holds one board but it works great, especially for the price. A mount clamps onto your tower just about anywhere you want and at any angle. The forks then quick connect/disconnect the same way a wheel and tire does on a bicycle.

So far it works great. Used it 5 or 6 times. Also, you could place 2 skinnier boards bottom to bottom on it i believe, it is pretty big. I have posted some pictures on here before somewhere .. ill try to find

KG's Supra24
04-27-2010, 05:54 PM
http://moomba.com/msgboard/showthread.php?t=10402&page=2 ...

Not quite what i thought it was but it still gives you an idea. I bought one surf and one wakeboard. Those pictures are with the wakeboard rack but the surf is just a little longer, the width is close to the same as the wakeboard but without the middle tong (or whatever you want to call it).

Fman
04-27-2010, 07:20 PM
If you want to dish out some cash you cant go wrong with the Z-5, it will hold three surf boards with no problems. I think they are running about $1800, they are sweet and in my opinion so worth the money. I will never buy another boat without one.

We had 4 wakeboards, wakeskate, two surf boards and two kneeboards out the boat on racks/Z-5 sunday. Its sooooo nice having that Z-5!

ssmith
04-27-2010, 07:36 PM
Scott,

What rack is that on the starboard side. I see what you mean about being upright...makes perfect sense. Also, I've seen some of your pics before...nice! What size bag is that upon your seat? That thing is a beast.

Fman,
Really? All of that on the Z-5. A bit steep this year, maybe next. That's amazing.

jonyb
04-27-2010, 08:02 PM
Yep, Z5 is great, but I want something to carry my 5'6" surfboard on teh days that I may want some sun and don't take the Z5 out with the boat.

tg0824SSVGG
04-27-2010, 08:17 PM
John,

How about just taking the cover off the Z5?

The new ones, called "Convertables" allow you to unzip most of it to get some sun, but no doubt - that's an $$$ upgrade.

Todd

KG's Supra24
04-27-2010, 08:34 PM
I'll have to agree with the Z5. If you are willing to spend the money it is way worth it. very versatile and it looks good.

My monster racks work great, though. Def more budget friendly.

jonyb
04-27-2010, 09:56 PM
John,

How about just taking the cover off the Z5?

The new ones, called "Convertables" allow you to unzip most of it to get some sun, but no doubt - that's an $$$ upgrade.

Todd
Nah, it's either on or off....If it's not gonna be there for shade, I'd prefer it to not be there at all for a head-bumping hazard.

I'll have to agree with the Z5. If you are willing to spend the money it is way worth it. very versatile and it looks good.

Yep, the Z5 is great.

tg0824SSVGG
04-27-2010, 10:27 PM
Agreed on the head-bump. I am only 5'10" and hit my head, some of my taller buddies - it reaks havoc on -- although, I have to admit - a few beers and watching one of htem try to WALK on the seat between the playpen and the rest of the boat ... PRICELESS, and he did it like 3 times!

jonyb
04-27-2010, 10:28 PM
Don't be cruel. I new guy is about to start going out on my boat and he's about 6'5" with a size 16 shoe. I'm taking him so he can impress the ladies :D

tg0824SSVGG
04-27-2010, 10:35 PM
You know what they say about guys with HUGE FEET ... ;)

I didn't laugh the first time - but really, the 2nd, 3rd and 4th?

jonyb
04-27-2010, 10:38 PM
That's what happens when there's alcohol involved.

Fman
04-27-2010, 11:27 PM
Scott,

What rack is that on the starboard side. I see what you mean about being upright...makes perfect sense. Also, I've seen some of your pics before...nice! What size bag is that upon your seat? That thing is a beast.

Fman,
Really? All of that on the Z-5. A bit steep this year, maybe next. That's amazing.

The 4 wakeboards were in the swivel racks, everything else was on the Z-5.

ScottnAz
04-27-2010, 11:34 PM
The rack is the dbot5 surf rack, a couple season's old.
I'm not sure if they've changed the mount at all, but, the only other complaint I have; in order to get the surf rack completely vertical, the rack has to be installed on a horizontal tower bar. I had to dig through some pictures to show how the rack sits at an angle when installed on the uprights of the tower. The rack is(was) a little limited in terms of installation possibilites, but, all in all, I am happy with the rack.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n315/woodwrangler/ICT0069.jpg

I've been looking at the Endless Wave surf rack (~$400), but I think my wife would kill me if I bought more surfboards, or another expensive rack for that matter. Therefore, I don't need more storage :D
http://endlesswavesurfracks.com/

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n315/woodwrangler/tn_surf-nautique.jpg

There was a Z5 for sale on WW ($1000).
I'll have to wait for the new boat in order to get a Z5, even if I had the money for it, the Z5 guys say it won't fit my 05' 22SSV;
FITS 2009 SUPRA MODELS:
Gravity Edition 24SSV (standard)
Launch 24SSV/ 22SSV/ 21V/ 20SSV (optional)
Sunsport 24V/ 22V/ 20V (optional)
World’s Edition Series (standard)

FITS NON-CURRENT SUPRA MODELS
2006-08 24V
2007-08 22V
2005-08 21V
2007-08 20/ 20V

Fman
04-28-2010, 12:03 AM
I have the Dbot5 rack and have been relatively happy with it over the last couple seasons. The quick disconnect spline/clamp seems to have quite a bit of wobble, so I torque it down with an allen wrench to make it more stable. I suppose that kind of defeats the purpose of the QD, but I don't want the rack wobbling around.

As you get in to the more delicate boards try to find a spot for the rack that stores the boards as vertically as possible to take the pressure off the board where it meets the rack forks. I actually removed one of my swivel wakeboard racks to make room for the surf rack.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n315/woodwrangler/PICT0010.jpg

Hey Scott, why dont you think about adding a little more weight to your boat?!?!!? Holy !@#$!, is that safe????? That baby looks like it might go over if you turned real hard. And thats with only two people in the boat.... How much weight are you running in that? and how bout some pics of that wave, must be huge!

ssmith
04-28-2010, 12:07 AM
I did want one of the endless wave surf racks but after watching a review from Wake9, I changed my mind. They loved the rack other than the fact you had to be a monkey to get a board down. I could def see this being a downside.

KG's Supra24
04-28-2010, 12:39 AM
I did want one of the endless wave surf racks but after watching a review from Wake9, I changed my mind. They loved the rack other than the fact you had to be a monkey to get a board down. I could def see this being a downside.

Agreed, i watched the video and it looked like it would be a place for a board used once a day. It would be difficult to get boards in and out.

87SunSportMikeyD
04-28-2010, 10:59 AM
Fman riding that low is typical of my boat too for surfing. :) It drives pretty much the same for going straight. I only turn in one direction when driving around weighted like that - If you are weighted on port, only turn to port. This way your high-side takes the waves, not your low-side.

wotan2525
04-28-2010, 02:36 PM
For you guys interested in the Z5 rack (and they are REALLY NICE) you should check out Monster Tower. They introduced their own cargo bimini last year.

I'll post a review when I get mine installed -- should be here today. I was able to score one for a REALLY good price.

Fman
04-28-2010, 05:35 PM
Fman riding that low is typical of my boat too for surfing. :) It drives pretty much the same for going straight. I only turn in one direction when driving around weighted like that - If you are weighted on port, only turn to port. This way your high-side takes the waves, not your low-side.

I would be fine with driving that low, its my wife or son who would end up sinking it, or at least the bow... no doubt about it! Its amazing these transmissions and engines can take that abuse, talk about overload...

and I thought my 750's in the rear were sitting low when full, throw another 4 or 5 people in that boat you might be able to bring in water over the corner.

Skylar18
04-28-2010, 07:25 PM
Let me know how the monster tower works. The cheapest price I can get for the z-5 is $2300 before taxes, and most places I get quotes from want to also charge shipping.

Memmer99
04-29-2010, 12:49 AM
I just picked up one of these on ebay for $115. Holds 2 boards and looks decent but I haven't tried it out yet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wakeboard-Tower-Boat-SURF-RACKS-N-R-NEW-2010-/140401966834?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b09bfef2

wotan2525
04-29-2010, 12:04 PM
Let me know how the monster tower works. The cheapest price I can get for the z-5 is $2300 before taxes, and most places I get quotes from want to also charge shipping.

There's one in the wakeworld.com classified section for $1200 (or at least there was last week....)

87SunSportMikeyD
04-29-2010, 05:02 PM
Memmer just be SURE you have plastic ring to protect the tower inside of that metal rack clamp. Since it fits multiple size towers, it should have the inserts, else it will scratch the tower allllll up.

ssmith
04-29-2010, 07:06 PM
Memmer,

Let us know how this works out. I just emailed the guy thru ebay to ask about the rubber inserts/plastic ring Mikey is referring to...an absolute must, IMO.

Memmer99
04-29-2010, 07:16 PM
He asked me what size my tower was at the end of the auction. He said they make different sizes for different towers. But I do have some left over rubber from my tower speakers and my mirror just incase. It does not sit vertical and I do see the point of haveing the boards sit in the Vertical position but for $115 bucks i figured I'd try it out.

ssmith
04-29-2010, 09:32 PM
It does come with the rubber rings!

Memmer99
04-30-2010, 11:47 AM
On the down side I ordered the rack on 4/21 and I haven't got a tracking number yet. I hope it's in the mail and they forgot to send the tracking info.

Memmer99
05-04-2010, 07:11 PM
I got the rack in the mail yesterday. It looks very solid and well made but it didn't come with the rubber insert we were talking about. I'll take some pics when installing and update this thread.

ssmith
05-05-2010, 12:53 AM
it didn't come with the rubber insert we were talking about

I specifically asked the guy if it comes with the rubber spacers to protect the tower from scratches due to metal on metal and the reply was, yes it does :(.

Sorry to hear. I'd contact them and ask about it.

I ended up going with the Aerial brand. I have a mirror made by them and have been very happy with it. I got this one off ebay for $129. Not bad when it cost $225 direct from Aerial.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w126/scotties2006/aer2.jpg

Memmer99
05-05-2010, 06:16 PM
NICE! I like the black finish. The design is very similar. I have some rubber rings from my tower speakers I can use. I just wanted to let everyone know what I received in the box. Oh it also came with a sticker if your into those. I just removed every sticker possible on my boat so it went in the trash. lol

ScottnAz
05-19-2010, 10:19 PM
Any pictures of these racks installed?

ssmith
05-19-2010, 10:48 PM
Any pictures of these racks installed?

Not sure which rack your wanting pics of (Memmers or mine). I don't have any pics but can get you one if you want.

ScottnAz
05-20-2010, 10:56 AM
Either or Both, just looking for ideas as it appears I'll be adding another board or 2 to the quiver this summer and will need more storage. Current options are
Add the single board "surfer add-on" to my existing Dbot5 rack ($120 = 1 board)
Pickup another Dbot5 rack ($300 = 2 boards)
Endless Wave monkey rack ($400 = 3 boards)
Ebay rack w/out quick disconnect ($173 = 2 boards)

What is the fork opening width on these ebay surf racks?

ssmith
05-20-2010, 01:46 PM
No way I'd do the Endless wave rack. It just seems too inconvenient. I can just see myself climbing around with wet feet, slipping and falling then hurting myself. Plus it would just be a PITA, but thats just my opinion. I do love the idea of it holding multiple boards. I would do the dbot strap on if only needing room for 1 board or the ebay route for 2 boards.

I'll never buy another surf rack. If I start acquiring additional boards...I'll save my coins and go the z5 route. It just makes more sense to me plus it looks cool.

I'll get you some pics of mine. I really can't say enough about the quality of the rack. No rattle and I measured the fingers for the surf board and I think I can get my LF venture and and Phase 5 in there together plus still have the wakeboard slot. Also, the wakeboard slot fingers are slightly wider than the Roswell racks, so I can easily get a thinner board in that slot...had a IS black pearl-yellow in yesterday. So depending on the boards, I can potentially get 3 boards in this one rack (maybe an option for you).

ssmith
05-21-2010, 05:17 PM
Scott,

Here is a pic of the Aerial surf/wakeboard rack. Sorry, best pic I have. I had to stop by the storage building to take it today and there's not much room to get a shot.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w126/scotties2006/SU1HMDAwMjQtMjAxMDA1MjEtMTQ1NC5qcGc.jpg

KG's Supra24
05-21-2010, 05:34 PM
x2 on the endless wave. good in theory but not application.

x2 on the z5. i havent used mine alot but i love the piece of mind knowing that i wont have an issue if people bring boards.

I bought a monster surf rack, made for 1 but you could easily fit 2 in it side by side (without a fork between). Cost = right at 200 and is quick release.

Water Dog
05-22-2010, 10:18 AM
Dbot5's. Picked up another board this winter, so I need to add wing to my rack...

https://forum.supraboats.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3036&stc=1&d=1275425956

https://forum.supraboats.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3037&stc=1&d=1275426404

ScottnAz
05-22-2010, 10:36 AM
That aerial rack looks great on there Scottie. The forks look really long too, which will be nice.

I tried to buy a Z5 at the beginning of last summer. The local dealer was going belly up, and was blowing out all their inventory. If memory serves, they were selling the Z5's for $750 or something ridiculously low like that. But, alas, the cargo rack won't fit the 05' 22ssv. Hindsight, I should have bought 1 (or 2) anyway.

I noticed a design flaw (imo) on the Dbot rack when we were out yesterday, the add-on rack will be installed on the interior side of the boat, instead of outward. Which for me, means I'll have to either angle my rack to create room for a third board, or mount it in some other undesirable location, neither of which I'm too excited about. I'm going to do more researching/reading on the Endless Wave rack, but right now think I'm leaning towards another Dbot5 rack with the quick disconnect.

Memmer99
05-24-2010, 01:24 PM
Here are a few pics of mine. I wish it had just a little bit more adjustment. You can see it's just a little bit crooked.
http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a461/memmer99/Boat%20Pics/Ballast/072.jpg

http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a461/memmer99/Boat%20Pics/Ballast/069.jpg

iwakeboard
05-24-2010, 01:34 PM
Saw on Monster Tower that they released a Wakeboard/Surf rack with a wake finger and surf finger, incase anyone is interested.

http://shop.monstertower.com/p-139-wakeboardsurfboard-combo-rack.aspx

KG's Supra24
05-26-2010, 03:56 PM
Iwakeboard, thanks for that link. I emailed Kenton with monster that day. I have the new racks on there way in time for te big weekend! Great customer service! I bought mine a couple months back and there has been no issue swapping them out for the new forks.