PDA

View Full Version : Raising the Bunks?

ssmith
04-28-2010, 11:09 AM
It looks like I may have to do this in the near future if I want to get a different prop. Can someone explain the procedure and the difficulty of it?

I'm thinking there is a set of forward and rearward bunks, for a total of 4. Are there adjustments in the bunks? Also, which do I need to raise the front or rear...or do I have to raise them all to match (I'm guessing raise them all)?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Pics always help if you have them.

ssmith
04-28-2010, 09:42 PM
I took a few pics today...

Here is a small cutting board measuring 3/8 inch thick.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w126/scotties2006/SU1HMDAyMjUtMjAxMDA0MjgtMTU1MS5qcGc.jpg

In this pic you can see that the cutting board will not fit between the lowest prop position and the trailer. So, I don't even have 3/8 clearance. More like a 1/4 inch.
So, I guess I need to raise the bunks, right? How do I do this?

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w126/scotties2006/SU1HMDAyMjEtMjAxMDA0MjgtMTU0OS5qcGc.jpg

mapleleaf
04-28-2010, 10:39 PM
Scottie,
I redid my bunks last year, I didn't need to raise them, but the process I undertook seems to be bullet proof todate..... I used pressure treated 2 X 4 and bought myself a can of " End Coat" It's like paint on pressure treating for the ends of PT boards you've cut. I measured and cut my new bunks and then over the next week treated them with this end coat until the can was empty ( 1 quart).
I would imagine that need to go up a min. of an 1 1/2" so you could either double up your entire bunk and then recarpet. Probably the strongest method. You could also have a metal shop raise the legs that the bunks sit on, but would add some added body work and painting expense. I think you could also cut a block of 2 X material that was say 4-5 times the length of the foot that the bunk sits on, center it up on the bunk and metal foot of trailer and screw it to your bunk and then bolt the new bunk with block to the trailer.
If you go down the road of blocking your bunks up with wood, be very aware of the lentgh of screw you use to attach them together as not to go through the carpet and leave a screw to scratch your hull, you would also need to drill a pilot hole for the bolts that hold the bunk to the trailer...
IMO the metal leg extension would keep the trailer looking factory, but be the most expensive, might be an idea to start with the wood (cheap!) and if it works and you like the new boat height, have the metal work done......
You could also try a receiver with a lower drop for the time being, would kick the back of the trailer up a little, but potentially make loading and unloading more diff....just my 0.08 c
Dude 3/8"s clearance is a little nuts...cutting board reference is pretty good though....

csuggs
04-29-2010, 03:09 PM
Do you have a factory trailer? Speaking from experience, raising your entire boat may not be that good of an idea - my boat is too high on the trailer which has caused some damage to the boat when launching and loading. Can you not re-shape the metal bar that is directly below the prop? That would keep the boat low and still protect the prop. Is the prop so low that it would drag the road if there were no bar below it? My trailer does not have that bar.

FYI - while my boat is being rebuilt, I'm having the bunks lowered on the trailer to make launching and loading easier.

ssmith
04-29-2010, 06:41 PM
Reshaping sounds OK but it would involve reshaping the bar you see and then there is another cross bar at the very rear of the trailer that would have to be reshaped as well. As far as removing it...again, it would involve both bars and I'm afraid there would be some loss of structural integrity to the trailer.

I really don't know what to do but it sure sucks that I'm stuck with a 13.5 inch prop or smaller unless I do some major alterations to the trailer. I had hoped this would be an easy upgrade but not looking like it.

Wonder if anyone else with a 2005 has the same issues with prop clearance?

ScottnAz
04-29-2010, 07:13 PM
05' Boatmate - It's the best picture I could get right now, but, I'd say there is probably 1 1/4" - 1 1/2" clearance on my trailer. I'm pulling the boat out tomorrow and heading to the lake in the evening for the weekend, but let me know if there's anything you want me to measure on my trailer. (ie: bracket heights)

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n315/woodwrangler/IMG_2038.jpg

ssmith
04-29-2010, 11:08 PM
Scott,

Thanks for the pic. That's crazy though. Same year Boatmate trailer and you have an inch or more clearance than I do. What prop are you currently running? Yes, I would love to get some measurements, but I don't even know where to begin. If you have any ideas as to where the difference may be, take some measurements if you have time and I'll compare to see where the problem is. I really appreciate all of your input. Have a great weekend, sounds like a blast.

ProZach415
04-30-2010, 01:11 PM
I have a 2005 and i know the clearance for my prop and trailer are close but i'm not sure exactly how close. I still have the factory O.J. 13.7 in. prop on my 21V. I will measure next time I get the boat out... Hopefully tomorrow depending on the weather.

ssmith
04-30-2010, 10:57 PM
I have a 2005 and i know the clearance for my prop and trailer are close but i'm not sure exactly how close. I still have the factory O.J. 13.7 in. prop on my 21V. I will measure next time I get the boat out... Hopefully tomorrow depending on the weather.

Yep, same prop I have on. Please let me know how much clearance you have :rolleyes:.

tg0824SSVGG
05-01-2010, 10:41 AM
Wow - Scottie - that's NUTS!

On my 08, I have at least 3 or more like 4" of clearance, so I can't see how raising
the ENTIRE boat would be a bad thing. My bunks are not adjustable, they are welded
just like yours -- Good luck. (and it's still a boatmate trailer)

ssmith
05-01-2010, 11:43 PM
It is NUTS! That just seems too tight for factory clearance, IMO. I don't know what the deal is. It seems as though everyone else has more clearance. I looked at the trailer after launching the boat yesterday and it looks normal. I checked the bunks and there is no adjustments there.

I'm going to call Boatmate next week and see what they have to say.

michael hunter
05-02-2010, 08:35 AM
Scottie
You cannot raise the bunks without raising the bow stop. Your best bet is to change the prop guard. You are lucky you are in Tennessee not too far from Boatmate. Give Owen Shelton a call or email [[email protected]] he is awesome. I'm sure he can help you.

ProZach415
05-05-2010, 12:58 PM
Here is a picture of the prop/trailer clearance on my boat. All I had was some poker chips in the truck! Not sure as to the exact measurment of these but its very tight clearance and I could only fit 3 between the prop and trailer. I am planning on taking advantage of this prop group buy but have been told by everyone to go with the 1433 which is 14 inces compared to my current 13.7inch prop. So and solutions to the trailer bunks issue is greatly appreciated!

ProZach415
05-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Here are some pictures of the BoatMate trailer showing how the bunks and winch are not adjustable. Scott please let us know what BoatMate has to say. It's looking like this would be a major undertaking!

ssmith
05-06-2010, 01:49 PM
Zach,

You have almost exactly the same problem I do. My trailer is identical to yours and so is the clearance.

I contacted Boatmate yesterday and left a message. They got back to me but I missed the call. They did leave a message and requested some information. It sounds like that there is a shim kit that they offer but right now thats all I know. I just sent them the info they wanted and I'll be waiting to hear back from them. I'll let you know the outcome.

Why can't some things just be easy?

csuggs
05-06-2010, 03:30 PM
Scottie
You cannot raise the bunks without raising the bow stop. Your best bet is to change the prop guard. You are lucky you are in Tennessee not too far from Boatmate. Give Owen Shelton a call or email [[email protected]] he is awesome. I'm sure he can help you.

modifying the prop guard should be easily done by any fab shop. Don't worry about trying to engineer something - it's not rocket science.

ProZach415
05-06-2010, 04:04 PM
I have been talking to JT at Nettle Props and Bill at Acme. They both said that it would be much better to get the 14 inch prop as opposed to putting a 13.5 inch prop on to avoid the trailer clearance issues.... they suggested raising the bunks would be the best deal by un-bolting the bunks and adding another board under the bunks or just putting a shim block of some type under them. Many people have told me not to mess with the prop gaurd.

ssmith
05-06-2010, 05:52 PM
This is the email I sent to Jerry at Boatmate earlier today:

Jerry,

Thanks for returning my call. My problem is that the distance between the
lowest point on the prop (13.5") and the trailer is only 1/4 inch. This
doesn't allow me enough room to upgrade to a larger prop (14.25").

Here is a link to the Supra forums where I posted the question and took some
pics. You can see here what I'm referring to....

http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=6375

Is this a common problem with the 2005 model year? Just wondering because
1/4" of clearance seems tight to me.

The shim kit will give me 1/2" - 3/4" inch extra clearance if I understand
you correctly. I'm guessing these are shims that raise the bunks. How about
the bow stop...will that have to be adjusted as well?

This was the response I got back less than 1 hr later:

Scottie,

Yes, the 2005 21V was very close. It cleared, but was tighter than we
normally fit them and was changed in '06.

The shim kit will resolve your problem and includes instructions. No need to
change the bowstop.

I will ship the kit under my authorization # 050610-003 and sales order #
006668-00.

I'll try to get it out today so you should have it tomorrow.

Thanks,
Jerry

I hope this is easy to do and works. Regardless Boatmate has been remarkably easy to work with. GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE.

ProZach415
05-06-2010, 10:28 PM
That is awesome! Did they charge you anything?

ssmith
05-07-2010, 08:52 AM
Never discussed price so I'm assuming NO CHARGE. Probably because it is obviously a known issue to them.

jzelt
05-07-2010, 03:07 PM
I would be hesitant to lower the prop clearance as right now, it can scrape if going down a steep driveway onto a flat road and are not at the right angle (head on vs 45 degrees). Depends on what the grounds you tow on are like...Something to consider.

ssmith
05-07-2010, 10:00 PM
I got the shim kit as promised. Should be fairly simple. Here's a pic of the instructions and the kit.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w126/scotties2006/SU1HMDAwMDUtMjAxMDA1MDctMTc0MS5q-1.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w126/scotties2006/SU1HMDAwMDgtMjAxMDA1MDctMTgyMS5qcGc.jpg

ProZach415
05-10-2010, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the info and pics Scott. It's funny to see those instructions and the date on them! Let us know how it goes please. I am going to e-mail them to get one of those kits also.

ProZach415
05-19-2010, 02:56 PM
I have received this shim kit. Getting ready to install it. How did it works out for you Scottie?

saltare inverts
05-19-2010, 06:59 PM
I think im going to type up those instructions on word and send it to them. They must be old school.

ssmith
05-19-2010, 10:09 PM
I have received this shim kit. Getting ready to install it. How did it works out for you Scottie?

Actually just got around to doing it this afternoon. Launched the boat and did it in the parking lot of the marina. It took 25 minutes and super easy. Just be sure you have a socket adapter so you can use your cordless drill...makes it go so much quicker. After lifting the bunks, we loaded the boat and changed the prop out to the larger OJ Fusion (14.25x14.5) with plenty of clearance now :grin:.

ScottnAz
05-19-2010, 10:22 PM
Congrats on finally getting that prop on the boat Scottie!!
What is your prop clearance now?

ssmith
05-19-2010, 10:43 PM
Congrats on finally getting that prop on the boat Scottie!!
What is your prop clearance now?

Thanks, I have approx 1/2 inch now with the larger prop. No issues at all. Still testing the prop and will post results when I'm finished. I can say that the new prop gets the boat on plane much quicker compared to stock. Is it worth the extra $$$? I don't know...too early to say.

ProZach415
05-19-2010, 11:32 PM
Awesome! Those are just the things I hoped to hear! Thanks for the help. I plan to install the shim kit on my trailer this week. Then on to the prop...

ProZach415
05-26-2010, 02:08 PM
I have installed the shims I received from Boat Mate. I now have over 1 inch of clearance. Thanks for you help Scottie!

ScottnAz
05-26-2010, 11:33 PM
Poker chips, really??? What night is the regular card game?
:D:D
I just taught my 6 yr. old how to play "war", and she thinks it's the greatest card game ever

ProZach415
05-27-2010, 11:06 AM
HA! You never know when a card game may break out around me... even on the boat!!! I carry them around in my truck and they just worked well for the job...

mnpracing
06-18-2010, 04:37 PM
for those of you that got the shim kit from Boatmate, were the shims just for the rear set of mounts, or for all mounts on all bunks? can you please describe which bunks / mounts were shimmed with the Boatmate kit? Also, based on the pics, are the shims plastic?

Thanks,

ssmith
06-18-2010, 10:32 PM
for those of you that got the shim kit from Boatmate, were the shims just for the rear set of mounts, or for all mounts on all bunks? can you please describe which bunks / mounts were shimmed with the Boatmate kit? Also, based on the pics, are the shims plastic?

Thanks,

Here you go...

They shims are high density plastic. You could easily make your own if you wish. You only need to add shims to the rear (like in the diagram). No need to add them to the front for prop clearance issues.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w126/scotties2006/Boating/SU1HMDAwMDUtMjAxMDA1MDctMTc0MS5q-1.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w126/scotties2006/Boating/SU1HMDAwMDgtMjAxMDA1MDctMTgyMS5qcGc.jpg