PDA

View Full Version : Ballast questions

Mani
04-28-2010, 02:43 PM
I have a 1986 Sunsport with the 351w. I plan on wakesurfing this summer, and only have one Launch Pad brand 440 lbs sac.

I plan on getting a tsunami pump, and I've been eyeballin' the 1000 lbs. fly high surfing sac (L shaped) along with a bunch of accessories, but don't know anything about this stuff as I have never done it before.

I need to know what fitting to buy to make this all work, and I'm wondering if the 1000 lbs. sac is a worthwhile investment, or if it's too much for my boat. Anyone with a similar boat, I would like to know what your set up is.

Thanks!

http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu49/Jeepthing0708/2010-04-28133218.jpg
http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu49/Jeepthing0708/2010-04-28133207.jpg

kodybyron
04-28-2010, 04:46 PM
just getting into ballast systems my self...but id say you have the old water bed fittings like me...screw on screw off. right guys?

Mani
04-28-2010, 04:53 PM
Well I'm starting to figure the fittings out the more I research them, but still don't know jack about weighting the boat, the max weight ratings, etc. My info plate on the hull is illegible, if it even is an info plate.

sybrmike
04-28-2010, 10:19 PM
Check out WakeMikey's EXTENSIVE thread. Same boat I think & everything you ever wanted to know about wakesurfing but were afraid to ask.

jzelt
04-29-2010, 12:35 PM
As far as illegible plate, you could try taking a piece of paper, holding it over the plate and then taking a pencile and rub it on the paper entirely. Maybe then the lettering would pull on to the none colored side...

Mani
04-29-2010, 02:24 PM
I'll give it my best shot when the hull gets back to me. Thanks!

87SunSportMikeyD
04-29-2010, 03:50 PM
Thanks sybermike :)

Mani good luck! the surf wave rules on this boat.

For starters I would ask if you are planning on plumbing in ballast eventually, or if you just want to keep it very basic for now.

To get you started, I would say you need at least one more sac to be the main surf sac on the floor, in the corner. I went with the 720lb standard fat sac, along with my other plumbed in sacs. IMO, you want some weight all across the rear of the boat, then you want to overweight one side.

So what I do is put 350 in the rear ski locker and 250 under the rear bench seat. Then I use a 720sac on the floor, and finally a 350 sac in the bow if needed. All sacs are hidden except the floor sac.

To get you started, I would put your 440lb sac in the ski locker and fill it as full as it goes (IF your rear ski locker can support weight..) and then your floor sac. I don't see any problem with getting the L-shaped sac if you prefer. I often add extra weight in that rear corner. I picked the 720 sac because it was standard shape, and it's easy to drain, quick-disconnect it and stow it away when we are not surfing.

I had a Launch Pad sac just like that, except it was 640lbs. The threads on the inlets/outlets are not very rigid, and when you use the blue waterbed fittings, they will come completly disconnected at the SLIGHTEST bump - I HIGHLY advise you NOT to get them. If you want to use that sac, go to home depot and get barbs and glue them in (wakeworld has threads on this).

What I used to do with my Launch Pad sac was just fill it up with the hose and then remove the hose and quickly screw on the black plastic caps, which stay on SOMEWHAT better but they can still pop off!! No water in these boats if possible!

Alternativly , I have sold my Launch Pad sac and replaced with all matching Fly High ProX sacs. They are worth every penny. Simple to use and super strong. Great secure fittings in every imaginable attachment you could need.

I run about 1400-1600lbs total average weight not including people (2-8peeps, I run less weight with a full crew, probably just the surf sac and the rear ski locker sac), I have an ACME#913 prop which is 10.5x13 and it helps a lot once you get over 1000lbs. There is a prop group buy if you aren't broke by now. :)

Lastly I recommend aerator pumps (faster, quieter, draws less power) over Simers and the ribbed tubing over the clear home depot tubing (kinks on bends over time, also can collapse on itself when draining).

Good luck!

87SunSportMikeyD
04-29-2010, 03:56 PM
Mani my 87 SunSport capacity is 8 people and 1400lbs people + gear

Mani
08-26-2010, 07:23 PM
So I've been messing with this wave for a while and it just won't build a good pocket.

We used to ride with 350 in rear ski locker and two 400s end to end on the surfside floor. With this set up a couple of my friends could let go of the rope for about three or four seconds before they'd loose the pocket.

Now I tried out the 400s on the surfside floor and the 350 laying on top of them, as far forward as possible (part of it is on the observer/passenger seat).

The wave is a bit longer, but now it's a bit smaller and there's no sweet spot.

Do we need more weight or am I doing this wrong?

87SunSportMikeyD
08-27-2010, 12:54 PM
In my opinion, you're trying too hard for weight in the front of the boat. With surfing you basically want zero weight ahead of the doghouse/motorbox until you get over 1200lbs.

If I were you I would try the 350 in the rear ski locker, one 400 on the floor in the rear corner, and the final 400 sac wedged into the rear corner how ever you can manage. I would try it half on top of the other 400, half on the rear bench seat.

Basically I would say you need just a little more weight. If possible, pick up a 720lb fly high sac. Use this for your floor sac. Put your 350 in the rear locker. Also optional is a sac under your rear bench seat too but it only holds like 275lb. Now you are up to 1350lbs or 1200 without the rear bench seat sac. Without that bench set sac you will have a nice medium wave that will be easy to surf with the right board (easier for lighter guys).

If you use that bench seat sac you wave will be very tall and will push you into the platform a lot. This is when you use one of the 400 sacs in the bow to make the pocket longer. This is the only time I would use bow weight. Now you are up to 1600-1700lbs and just about maxed out. The boat handles and drives fine. I only use this much weight with no crew in the boat. Subtract a sac or two if you have lots of people. Wave should be waist/belly button high and about 20' pocket.

I would ideally put the 2x400's in the bow to use for wakeboarding (even bow weight side to side) or you can use just one or the other to make a regular or goofy surf wave.

This is my setup exactly. :) I love it, but for wakeboarding it's missing just a tad of rear weight. Hopefully I can fix that eventually by adding some dumbbells in the rear gunwales, but my motor went bad before that.

If you are going to be weighting the boat, overfill your oil and you MUST have a power prop.

http://photos.wakeboarder.com/data/3508/medium/6091021.jpg

jaywidhalm
08-27-2010, 04:51 PM
I love that pic....that wave looks massive!

dickboxers
08-29-2010, 09:18 PM
Got my board in before the lake trip. Tried to surf but don't think i have enough weight. Tried with the 750 behind the motor, and to the left of motor half way on the seat. Here is some pics. The only good pics of the wave i could find is after it ate me up.

87SunSportMikeyD
08-29-2010, 11:38 PM
Jay thanks hehe that is about as big as I ever got it. Very steep there too.

db - what is your speed there? it kinds looks like you may be going slow. Generally what I do is accellerate slowly to about 13mph and the wave will lose all the wash. Then slowly slow down to 11 or maybe 10.5. The wave should still be clean and smooth with a perfect wave pocket. If you start to slow down too much it will turn to wash like that. If you speed up too much the wave gets a lot smaller.