PDA

View Full Version : Packing nut..part 2

ssmith
04-28-2010, 06:53 PM
Just an update. I received the GFO packing today and went to work. I made a little tool for digging the packing out that worked well. Overall, a very easy process. I'd say the whole process took less than 1 hour. I can't believe dealers are charging $300 plus to do this...what a rip off.

Now if it only works :roll:.

ScottnAz
04-28-2010, 10:25 PM
Nice work Scottie, saved yourself some http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n315/woodwrangler/dinero.gif

How much did the packing cost? Any pictures of the process? When's your next lake trip to test it out?

ssmith
04-29-2010, 01:14 PM
Scott,

Thanks to you and Doc, I did save some $$$$. I owe you guys a drink if our paths ever cross. Thanks.

Below is the technique I used (copied from Moomba thread) and a few pics of the tools used for the job.

I performed this on my 2005 21v Launch

PACKING NUT

A couple of additions I have to add for those still going to try it. For comparison, I have the '05 LSV. I can't reach the packing nut/shaft through the engine hatch, so have to go through the hole under the rear seat. Second, my boat has a bunch of wiriing on the port side, so to access the nut with any tools, I had to use starboard side (left side when facing the stern from the inside of the boat). I took off the water hose to the tranny to make it simpler (as well as my ballast water strainer).

I used 2 1/4 inch channel locks for the packing nut (the big nut), and my smaller channel locks for the jam nut (the skinny nut).

All of my directions are listed as you are sitting in the boat facing the rear.

1. Loosened the jam nut by turning clockwise.
2. Loosened the packing nut by turning counterclockwise.
3. Pulled the jam nut towards me 'up' the shaft (about 4 inches)
4. Fought and fought to get the packing out until I realized the easiest way to do it. Get a really small screwdriver or 'pick'. Reach into the packing nut and press until you feel the slight 'give', indicating you are on packing material.
5. Then, while applying pressure to the tool, slowly rotate the nut with your other hand. Soon, you will feel the tool 'dip', indicating you've found the seam of the packing thread.
6. Now dig at that seam like a madman, rotating packing nut to help you dig it out. (The first piece took my 15 minutes to figure out...the next 3 pieces took about 5 total)
7. I had 4 pieces in there. You'll know you are done when the inserted tool hits metal and not the squishy material.
8. I then cut 4 pieces of 4 1/8 inch goretex packing material that I got from skidim (like $12)
9. I put 2 pieces in, went through the whole tightening/loosening as instructed, then put the next 2 pieces in and packed again, and finally tightened it up as tight as I could with my hands.

It's funny how it seemed like it was so hard, but now I could do it in 30 minutes from start to finish. Appreciate all the help you guys out there provide...it has been saving me serious cash.

TIGHTENING/PACKING TECHNIQUE
Screw the packing nut onto the packing gland assembly. Tighten it up as much as possible by hand. Then using a wrench, turn the nut a 1/2 a turn forward and a 1/4 turn back. Then turn the nut a 1/2 a turn forward and a 1/4 turn back. Then turn the nut a ½ a turn forward and a 1/4 turn back. This will pack the packing fairly tight.
- Back the packing nut off the assembly again. Then thread it back on. Tighten it only as tight as you can get it using your hands. This should be almost the perfect tightness for the packing gland so that it does not leak, yet not too tight so that the packing burns up.
- Tighten the Lock Nut up to the Packing Gland Nut.

10" pipe wrench and channel locks (from Lowes)

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w126/scotties2006/SU1HMDAyMzYtMjAxMDA0MjktMTExMi5qcGc.jpg

Self-made packing removal tool ( syringe and blunt needle bent on the tip)

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w126/scotties2006/SU1HMDAyMjctMjAxMDA0MjktMDkzNS5qcGc.jpg

The old packing (4 pieces) after removing it (tool worked great)

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w126/scotties2006/SU1HMDAyMzQtMjAxMDA0MjktMTExMC5qcGc.jpg

Packaging from the new packing (GF0 2' 3/16)

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w126/scotties2006/SU1HMDAyMzUtMjAxMDA0MjktMTExMS5qcGc.jpg

mapleleaf
04-29-2010, 07:39 PM
Great thread, I've had the new packing for a while, I'm diving in this weekend.....

ssmith
04-29-2010, 11:02 PM
Maple,

I don't know if you've ever done this before? I had not, first time. It was so easy. I guess getting the packing out is the biggest task but with the right tool, it was a breeze. I made mine but I also knew that Lowes has a set of Kobalt picks (like dental picks). However, I didn't know how much they were and mine was free. I was at Lowes today though and looked for the picks...found them and bought them. They were only $6 and have a lifetime warranty. They would be perfect for the job. Another guy mentioned bending a wire clothes hanger and then grinding one end to a point and bending it. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

I'm going out tomorrow to see if my work was a success.

jzelt
04-30-2010, 11:58 AM
Good write-up. Sounds exactly what I did.
I did use the picks you bought. The 45 deg pick seemed to be the best on for getting the packing out and yes, getting the old out is the longest part of the job. I also cut the new packing a bit long, but in trying to get the new one's in the nut, I would take a razor blade and trim ends off until it was snug around the shaft. (remember 45 degree cut).

Getting the new packing started into the nut I used the 1" pvc cut about 2" long and put the one side against the packing and jammed the other end against the shaft side. Pushing the nut toward the threads.

ssmith
04-30-2010, 11:07 PM
Yes, the 45 degree cut is important to remember.

I was able to get out today to see if repacking took care of my problem. The answer is...YES. In fact, it worked almost too good. There was no leak at all and I had to adjust the nut to get a couple of drops every 30 seconds or so.

I loosened the jam nut with channel locks and then hand loosened the packing nut. I loosened the packing nut until a small trickle of water was noticed and then hand tightened until the desired result was acheived. I couln't fully hand tighten the packing nut or it wouldn't drip at all. So, just shy of completely hand tightening was perfect and then using the channel locks to tighten the jam nut up to the packing nut. PERFECT. I'll have to check it over the next few outing just to make sure it is maintaining. Thanks again everyone.

brack
04-30-2010, 11:41 PM
They also make paking removal tools that have a " T " handle and are flexible yet strong with a pointed "pigs tail " on the end ......sorta looks like something you would use to pull out a cork in a wine bottle . Slide it in , turn a few turns , then extract.... they come in several diff sizes and lengths . I use them at work all the time and i swear by them...... ( i also have the picks but find the extractors easier )

mapleleaf
05-01-2010, 08:01 AM
Maple,

I don't know if you've ever done this before? I had not, first time. It was so easy. I guess getting the packing out is the biggest task but with the right tool, it was a breeze. I made mine but I also knew that Lowes has a set of Kobalt picks (like dental picks). However, I didn't know how much they were and mine was free. I was at Lowes today though and looked for the picks...found them and bought them. They were only $6 and have a lifetime warranty. They would be perfect for the job. Another guy mentioned bending a wire clothes hanger and then grinding one end to a point and bending it. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

I'm going out tomorrow to see if my work was a success.

Got mine in yesterday, with your advice it was prolly 45 min.... Captains chair is at the upholsterer, when he finishes it I gotta dip her to check the packing...I can't wait! Thanks Smitty, great thread....

ssmith
05-01-2010, 11:46 PM
Glad to hear you got it in and in a timely manner. I still can't believe what they charge for this at the dealers. I wish everything was this simple.

mapleleaf
05-02-2010, 08:57 AM
I read that the number of packing glands is different from boat to boat. Some people have 3 some 4. Mine only had two, so that's all I put back. Really seemed like the new packing fit well. I figure if I have any trouble with it, I can always add another strip......

powmgt
06-02-2010, 02:15 PM
Where did you buy the repacking rope? Thanks for all the good info!

Eddie

mapleleaf
06-02-2010, 05:11 PM
I just replaced mine with the flax style avail. at west marine for around $7 CAN............

Okie Boarder
06-03-2010, 11:12 AM
You can also order online from DIM (http://www.skidim.com).

ssmith
06-04-2010, 11:04 PM
Sorry, just read your post. Here's the link to what I ordered...

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=GFO3/16X24