PDA

View Full Version : Newbie ~ Teak comments

brack
04-28-2010, 10:42 PM
Ok heres the deal , when i bought the rider about a year ago , i brought it home and just tinkered with it a bit . one of the things i did was to remove all the teak , stripped it , sanded it , oiled it , and put a coat of Varnish on it ( OK BLAST me , i didnt know better at the time ) thats what was on it , so i thought thats how it was .

i pulled it all off again tonite and started stripping , sanding again . Heres the deal , ive read several comments about adding oil to your Teak . these taking several days inbetween coats , What if i made a 6 foot tray ,6 inches tall and 4 inches wide and put my Teak in there and filled it with oil and let it soak for a few days . Wouldnt that make sure you had a solid penetration of oil OR if you had time , couldnt you stick the pieces in a tall glass / can and let the oil slowly suck up into the wood ( i notice that it did this when I was playing with a piece a few minutes ago . )

Question to all , how do you like Your Teak

1) keep up with oiling
2) weathered & grey
3) and yes Ive seen some on boats , shiny and varnished

thanks

mapleleaf
04-28-2010, 10:49 PM
soaking teak will help, but not get the oil as deep as it could be..
It's all about letting the teak breath between coats. Turpentine is really the best way to think the oil to help it get deep in the would, it dries a little faster than the oil itself, which upon multiple coats allows it to be thinner and deeper and dry for recoating...
Unfortunately patience and time ......48hrs between coats for best results.....and long lasting finish...
1st coat 25% oil/75% turpentine
2nd 50/50
3rd 75/25
4th and on 100% oil.....

brack
04-28-2010, 11:03 PM
thanks for your input , i read your previous post the other day and i have a question about it . Do u wipe it down with anything inbetween each coat OR just put on , let fry , add more , let dry , etc.....

chautauquasun
04-28-2010, 11:44 PM
I have been redoing my teak as well. I strip mine and oiled up a few pieces using teak oil. I found that even while sitting protected in my garage the oil would start to discolor and I would then add more oil and still was not happy with the finish. I liked the lighter color of the wood and the oil really made it dark. I did some research and found that after the teak sits in the sun and weather that it will go grey and you will have to constantly oil it to keep it looking nice. I dont want to do that.

I found a product and talked to a guy that used it on his boat on his teak. He said it is the way to go. He said it lasted him about 3-4 years before it started to show signs of weathering and it keeps the lighter color of the teak...it is a cross between a varnish and urathane. Sikkens is the brand. I used the satin natural teak product. Look at my rebuild thread and you will see some examples of what it looks like. It looks a little shiny in the pics because I just applied it but after it dries the shine goes away...you can also use a nylon scrub to gently remove the the satin shine if you dont like it. I think this is the better way to go.

brack
04-29-2010, 12:47 AM
My boss gave me a quart of Sikkens today @ work , he tried and didnt like because of the sheen that was on it didnt look good on his offshore boat . his loss is my gain .... I tried it out tonight , looks good wet , cant wait to see it dry.....

87SunSportMikeyD
04-29-2010, 01:28 PM
good thread brack :) welcome to the club. Teak oil is annoying. Teak Guard is a little better, but still needs to be applied once or twice a season. I am anxious to see more of the Sikkens.

I would recommend letting each coat dry out fully before reapplying. Also note that applying a heavier coat seems to make lighter and darker colored spots for me.