PDA

View Full Version : Need help dialing in

KG's Supra24
04-29-2010, 12:26 AM
I was hoping some you that seem to have it figured out could help me adjust and get dialed in.

We have worked on it the last few weekends and feel like its getting close. Our height is fine but I think we are missing the wrap around curl some of you have. Ours rolls out too deep and never really curls around.

06 24ssv; 1100 bow, ~1050 surfside, ~350 non surf; 3 of us usually; 11.7-12.2 mph; wakeplate at 1/2. If i get much slower it tends to wash out. How much of a role does the wind and choppy water play?

Fman
04-29-2010, 01:21 AM
You should not be putting any weight on the non surf side, this will counter the surf side wake. Or at least thats the way I was reading it when you described your weight set-up, that wake you have looks pretty good to me. Might want to also not fill your front bag with as much weight, try 50-75% this will drive your rear corner deeper and create a little more height in the wave. If you are filling the non-surf side with the 350 lb sac I would not recommend doing this. Also getting some more people in the boat are great mobile ballasts, especially women in bikinis, they make the wave look even better :) keep them on the surf side and the wave will only get bigger.

Whats your boat look like when it is weighted down in the water? Do you have any pics of this? That rear corner should be barried pretty deep, Scotts boat was damn near up to the rubrail in one of his pictures.

KG's Supra24
04-29-2010, 07:41 AM
I don't have any pics from the water looking at the boat yet. It isn't near as low as scotts. It isn't that close to the rubrail.

We just started putting weight in the non surfside and it helped with the height and overall shape, especially on chop. I need to try your suggestion on bow weight. Maybe that much belly in the water is keeping the wake long and not letting it come around?

iwakeboard
04-29-2010, 08:57 AM
KG, that seems a little fast to me but maybe that's just me. I think we found our sweet spot around 11.2-11.5. Also, I think Fman's correct, if you can avoid it don't put any weight on the non-surf side.

This is my 24's surf wake, guy is really tall, about 6'5" We have the 1100lbs rear bag full with about 400lbs on top of it, and the front 1100lbs bag full as well. One other person in the boat sitting next to me. We can't wait to get out and fill up the 750lbs bag full and put more people in :D

http://i41.tinypic.com/1zqrqe1.jpg

ScottnAz
04-29-2010, 11:11 AM
Hook the boat up and drag it out to AZ, we'll get that thing dialed in. ;)
I do know the 24's are a little different than the 21/2's when it comes to speed, so I'm not surprised you are driving faster than I do (10.7-11.2). Your wave is looking real nice, but can certainly be better and cleaner. Don't laugh at my quick paint attempt on your picture, but here it is for reference:

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n315/woodwrangler/FORUM5.jpg

You've got a double lip formed on your wave right now, and you're actually surfing the lower (red) lip. You can see the potential of the wave with the height of the upper lip on some of your photos. Now the key is to move/shape the wave to follow the yellow line and get rid of the red one. To do that, here's what I would try. Again, for disclosure purposes, I have a 22ssv :D I've read a lot of debate about weighting the non-surf side, and I think it has worked for some boats, and not others. With that said, I do not weight the non-surf side.

Your next trip out, I would remove the weight from the non-surf side, and add more weight to the surf side. That will drive the surf side butt cheek down in the water more, and move that red line closer to the the yellow. Then, if you're still seeing the double lip, add more weight to that corner or down the side of the rear half of the boat. Play around with your wake plate a little too, try moving it up to 25%. Is it possible to move your 350# non-surf side sack to the surf side? If running 1100 in the bow, I'd shoot for closer to 1500 on the surf side rear of the boat. Do you happen to have a picture of your bag placement in the boat?

For reference, here's a shot of my port side wave:
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n315/woodwrangler/portsidewave.jpg

ScottnAz
04-29-2010, 11:34 AM
How much of a role does the wind and choppy water play?
Wind and chop????? Looks like you guys are the only ones on the lake

iwake - time to change your username to isurf, wave is looking nice, going to be exceptional with the 750#'r

KG's Supra24
04-29-2010, 12:36 PM
Oh how I'd love to come to AZ. Might actually do it sometime this summer.

Your drawing is funny because I almost did the same thing. I know exactly what your talking about on the double lip. I can actually surf both but you can feel a little drop when you go from the top to the bottom. Plus the fact i feel like it runs deep and never curls around, if that makes sense.

What i have to work with: 1150 bow bag and 750's in each ski locker. I then have 2 400's that I have been moving around. Typically i just put one in the rear surfside locker but it doesnt fill completely, prob 3/4. We tried the other 400 about half full in the bow surfside but couldnt tell alot of difference.

ScottnAz
04-29-2010, 01:37 PM
As fast as you're driving, I personally, wouldn't put any weight forward of the walk-through area. Another, heavily discussed topic, but, I don't agree with the need for weight in the bow/playpen area of the boat. I assume you have the playpen bow, and when you refer to the "bow bag" you're talking about the large center sac under the walk-though and center bow areas?

Fill the center/bow 1100 bag
Fill the rear surf side 750
Try to add both 400's to the surf side and rear of the boat

Something similar to this: (obviously this is one large bag, but try to get one of the 400's half on the seat/half on the sundeck, then put the other 400 in line to try and sink the rear+side of the boat) my buddies use this bag as a lounge chair when we're riding :cool:
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n315/woodwrangler/rearbag-1.jpg

KG's Supra24
04-29-2010, 01:45 PM
You are correct, the playpen bow. When we added the weight to the bow (the other 400), it didnt seem to do much. Next time out I'll likely try moving the 2nd 400 to the rear like you mentioned. You seem to have this pretty figured out.

The original goal was to keep everything as clean and hidden as possible. We will see though.

ScottnAz
04-29-2010, 02:03 PM
The original goal was to keep everything as clean and hidden as possible. We will see though.
Funny you say that cause I've been having similar thoughts lately and plan on trying a few things this weekend with less weight. Do I actually need the largest wave on the lake, or just something that's surfable??? :rolleyes: Problem is, when I'm with my family I like to add enough weight that they can sit wherever they would like in the boat and have a minimal impact on the wave. And when I'm with my buddies we try to make it as massive and smooth as possible.

The 24 is a big heavy boat, have you tried filling the center/bow sac 75% and the rear 750 full with one of the 400's on top of it in the locker, wake plate all the way up, speed probably 11.5, people weight along the rear and side instead of the additional 400, and drive from the center or starboard side of the boat (when the lake isn't busy). All the ballast would be hidden in lockers, and I'm sure the wave would be nice. The problem is the bug hits and you start to want a bigger wave and try to see how large you can actually make it..... I think they call it 'Testosterone'

KG's Supra24
04-29-2010, 03:41 PM
isurf: We have the 1100lbs rear bag full with about 400lbs on top of it, and the front 1100lbs bag full as well.

ScottnAz: If running 1100 in the bow, I'd shoot for closer to 1500 on the surf side rear of the boat.

fman: Might want to also not fill your front bag with as much weight, try 50-75% this will drive your rear corner deeper

I'm starting to see a theme. Sounds like whatever the setup, y'all are striving for about 2/3 of your rear weight up front. Makes sense. I found the weight on the non surfside helped when it was choppy. No it was not choppy in the pics above but the wind was up and causing problems a couple other days.

ScottnAz, i have the same goal. I'd like to not assign seats when i have a crew, have enough weight that it doesnt matter where they sit. With that said I'd also like it hidden and to be the biggest wake they have seen :) If you start working on that setup, we will soon see if you have it "figured out" or if you just have soo much weight you cant be wrong. haha :)

87SunSportMikeyD
04-29-2010, 04:37 PM
Scott - NICE wave on P1 there!