PDA

View Full Version : pcm 351 - How to test or where to replace Electric Choke

dshaff24
04-29-2010, 02:46 AM
My electric choke isn't wasn't working last season so im either going to remove it and test it to see if thats the problem OR see what activates it? like a sensor?

How do I test the choke itself?

My temp guage wasn't working so im replacing the temp sensor, Does the choke work off that? or is it a direct line to the guage it self?

Where to purchase a replacement choke and temp sensor?

Mani
04-29-2010, 08:28 AM
I got my temp sensor off of SKIDIM.

I couldn't tell you if the temp sensor and the choke work together, but the wiring on mine says it's not a direct link.

jet
04-29-2010, 09:32 AM
Hey Mani. Loosen up the screws to the choke and take off the air cleaner. Now while the engine is cold slowly start to turn the choke with a screw driver until the choke flap closes about 80-90% and then lock it down. Now next time you run it you need to warm up the engine and once the engine is at regular temp you check the choke flap and make sure it went back to the 12:00 position. If it only went back to the 10:00 or 11:00 position, back the choke flap counter clockwise until its back to the 12:00 position. You have to start this process cold, but you want to make sure that once the engine has warmed up the flap has gone back to the 12:00 position otherwise the flap will choke the engine or make it run really rich. Its simple. Any questions? Jet

Mani
04-29-2010, 09:50 AM
Hey Mani. Loosen up the screws to the choke and take off the air cleaner. Now while the engine is cold slowly start to turn the choke with a screw driver until the choke flap closes about 80-90% and then lock it down. Now next time you run it you need to warm up the engine and once the engine is at regular temp you check the choke flap and make sure it went back to the 12:00 position. If it only went back to the 10:00 or 11:00 position, back the choke flap counter clockwise until its back to the 12:00 position. You have to start this process cold, but you want to make sure that once the engine has warmed up the flap has gone back to the 12:00 position otherwise the flap will choke the engine or make it run really rich. Its simple. Any questions? Jet

That's great advice Jet.

I've worked on the carb on my motorcycle, and I never wanted to deal with a jumble of small parts like that again. I just paid a pro to rebuild it and he ran it on a float to tune everything perfectly.

sybrmike
04-29-2010, 10:11 AM
The electric choke is independent of the temp sensor. It's just a bi-metallic coiled spring that that flexes and opens up as the engine warms up. Check it and adjust as Jet said & you should be good to go. Otherwise, skidim has em for like 40 bucks I think.

jet
04-29-2010, 10:38 AM
I am confused on the heat source of the wire and where it comes from. Anyone know this one? Jet

sybrmike
04-29-2010, 11:16 AM
I'm no mechanic, but I played one as a muscle car gearhead kid - plus I slept in a Holiday Inn last night.

The electric choke gets it's power from ignition switched 12V. The choke opening is actually a timed event independent of the engine temp. Turn the engine on which sends power to the choke. Then the 12V slowly heats up the spring (1-2 minutes, approximating the time required for engine to heat up) causing it to expand and open the choke. Turn the engine off which removes power to the choke. Then the spring cools off & returns to normally closed position.

jet
04-29-2010, 12:16 PM
Cool! I stayed in a Home Wood suites for the last 4-days, I think eyem less smrt now? lol

87SunSportMikeyD
04-29-2010, 12:16 PM
I was told that the when you turn the key to the on OR start position, electric current is applied to a metal coil, which heats and uncoils, which opens the choke. So if you turn your key to ON (not even start), after about 90 seconds the choke should open on it's own.

You may want to try reversing the wires and try it that way. :) Somehow mine got switched around this spring and I was SO confused as to why it wouldnt work...