PDA

View Full Version : Velvet drive

87 Sunsport
07-05-2002, 06:51 AM
In the middle of our set last night we lost our transmission. The Morse Pin was engaged but it acted like it was out. Earlier my son had noticed that the screws on the Morse control were loose so I first assumed that was the problem, and I fact I applied pressure latterally to the unit and that seemed to get it into forward, (but still not reverse)so that we got back to the slip.
Back at the slip it looked like the linkage was fine, and I noticed the transmission oil cover was loose and the level was a little low.

I will top it off with Dextron today and keep my fingers crossed. I don't see an easy way to inspect the Morse controller but I will get some larger screws to tighten it up. Unfortunaltely we have a warped clutch plate as evidenced by slow steady rotation of the prop in neutral.

To get a professional fix in upstate New York is not easy, and of couse we want to stay on the lake until October

87 Sunsport
07-07-2002, 09:31 AM
So we went out yesterday, just to check the linkage. Then we though LETS GO WAKEBOARDING. So we headed out and twelve miles north of our slip we noticed we had lost forward gear also. Then we found forward if we went past the detent. We better go home we thought. So we headed south but we noticed shortly the speed was decreasing and the rpms were increasing. Then revs with no speed, then dense thick clouds of vaporized dextron and the odor of very hot cast iron.
So we grabbed out life vests and the fire extinguisher and waited for things to cool down and calculated that it would take us approximately 9 hours to paddle back to the slip.
The we restarted the boat and noticed that now the starter was working very hard to turn the engine and the prop. The boat started and now we had forward gear no matter what we did with the Morse unit. Regardless of where the lever on the transmission was (reverse, neutral) the transmission was engaged.

So now the boat is out, and we are thinking we will pull the transmission. Now the question is should we assume that it is beyond repair and look for a new or rebuilt, especially since time is of the essence.

DKJBama92Mariah
07-07-2002, 02:50 PM
That sucks dude. Here's a link to an exploded parts diagram fro your tranny. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and i don't think I'd touch this thing with a ten foot pole.

http://www.secured-transactions.com/skidim_storefront/asp_storefront/catalog/Catalog_Viewer.asp?Page_Number=41

If you want to try it DIM has parts for a rebuild.

http://www.skidim.com
and here is the link for the rebuild parts page
http://www.secured-transactions.com/skidim_storefront/asp_storefront/catalog/Catalog_Viewer.asp?Page_Number=14

They can probably tell you what is wrong and what you need as well as get you a sergvice manual for the tranny. Or you could save alot of blood, sweat, and tears and just order a complete rebuilt.

Just remember, after pulling the tranny out you will have to take it to a dealer to get it realigned to the driveshaft or you will get vibrations.

Again, sorry to hear about your loss. I'vee been lucky most of the things to break on mine have been minor nitpicky things.

By the way, how many hours do you have on your boat?

Later,
DKJ

Salty87
07-08-2002, 05:15 PM
wow that does suck,sunsport.....sorry to hear it. and we're getting too much rain to ride down here- go figure.

vince at disount inboard is the man, good luck

87 Sunsport
07-08-2002, 05:41 PM
Boy, I tried all day to get through to Vince or anyone at DIM but no luck.
I'm trying the subscription service at "boat doctor".
I've only got 450 hours on the engine

dmgx
07-10-2002, 04:08 PM
I posted to the post in the service area. It is definietly your clutch plates. What happened was that they started slipping then they heated up due to friction, then they cooled down and were welded together because they melted. You can get the plates, but don't try it on your own. I also wouldn't take the tranny out of the boat let the dealer do it that way they can check the work with a test drive after they are done. Call PCM or Indmar for a local certified dealer, that will be your best bet. Sorry to hear of your problems. Jay Warren

willie
08-08-2002, 07:48 PM
I have a 1989 sunsport with an angle in the tranny. I see the shaft slowly turning in nutral. do i need to worry about this. i hope to not have your problem anytime soon.