PDA

View Full Version : Bracks 84 Rider " work n Progress "

brack
04-30-2010, 10:52 PM
since joining this forum people keep asking for pictures.....well i look and found em from when i found her and brought her home . PO had her under a tent in his yard , but he did put the seats in his garage for safe keeping. some folks have asked me how long its been since shes been in water..( i thought a few years but a picture reminded me )..the sticker says it all 2000.

Im glad i found her and also found this forum thanks so much for everyones input so far....like the title says , Shes a work n Progress.....

..........Welcome " Water Rat "

brack
04-30-2010, 10:55 PM
Still More....

brack
04-30-2010, 10:58 PM
and more...

brack
04-30-2010, 11:31 PM
Well new trans cooler came in today , along with a raw water strainer and also 2 new exhaust flaps . Going to install in the morning and drain the tranny .

Other new items installed :

New Holley 750
New EI distributor
New exhaust risers
new starter & rebuilt Alt

Also bead blasted and polished trailer rims and polished her to remove the oxidation .... heres a few pics when i was polishing

brack
05-01-2010, 10:54 AM
No ,never tried to do that....I've been trying to buy it for almost four years.PO said he didn't really want to sell it but would for 6000.... I let it go cuz I couldn't do that at the time...we would talk about it over the next few years .then he came to me and said 2000....

brack
05-01-2010, 10:55 AM
......and yes that is what u used on the teak

Mani
05-01-2010, 05:20 PM
Looks great, Brack. Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

Okie Boarder
05-02-2010, 06:41 PM
Looks good...congrats! Keep the pictures coming.

brack
05-02-2010, 10:52 PM
installed a few new parts today , then ran into a major exhaust problem

87SunSportMikeyD
05-03-2010, 01:55 PM
WHAT he went from 6000 to 2000 DANGGGGG great buy. I was worried when I saw the carport with no cover on the boat whyyyyyyy just put another tarp over the boat poor baby. How is the floor? Love the pics thanks for posting. Keep up the good work.

brack
05-03-2010, 03:12 PM
Yeah , divorce is a bad thing .... he needed to sell It, right place ,right time for me.:..He had a smaller tarp over it , and seats in his garage......it needed lotsa TLCmore than n e thing

sybrmike
05-03-2010, 11:11 PM
Motivated sellers are nice (but hard) to find. Congrats & good luck with the exhaust and fix up.

brack
05-04-2010, 11:19 PM
Yes they are ..... We work in the shop together and he ask me all the time " what are ya doing this week to her " it makes for good conversation , and deep down he might not have wanted to sell her , but he knows that he wasnt going to do anything with her and that i would take care of the boat and fix it up right....he cant wait till i get her back in the water .....

brack
05-06-2010, 10:35 PM
well , been busy at work so ive sorta put her off till this weekend to mess with the exhaust .....also after looking at my trailer toady , Im fixing to order me some 2 x 4 channel and start to work on a new trailer........

brack
05-13-2010, 11:35 PM
Got around to sucking the old trans fluid out tonite ( if ya want to call it that ) ....sort of a cross between pink and light brown ..... Poured in a quart , turned the shaft by hand for several minutes & then sucked it out again.......I did this several times ( and QTS ) to make sure , or at least i think , i removed all the bad fluid that i could . added some more and it has a deep red color to it now..... find out more once shes in the water .

almost have all my material for my trailer , just have to get the fenders & springs .... im going to use my existing axels and coupler/hitch on the new trailer . trying to have everything ready and start working on it right after Memorial Day......

Mani
05-14-2010, 12:49 AM
Still short on the pics. We want more pics!:D

brack
05-16-2010, 08:44 PM
Well Spent the day using a small pump to empty my tank , good thing....it was full of trash. Nave to change my larger filter as well...... pulled the tank and Cut out the floor where my exhaust pipe is.....solid hose with only a fiberglass 45.......the hose was melted ( just as i thought ) and i had a hard time removing it....BAD news is that the foam was wet halfway up to where it comes out of the floor....it was easy getting the wet stuff out , had to get a hammer , chisel and prybar to get the front half .Stringer is shot underneath the tank . Hopefully i can pu in a new exhaust hose , patch the floor and get thru this summer and then do a total stringer / floor replacement.....enclosed several pics ( including one of the rear exhaust peice that had the internal flapper ) took a pic of a part number , hopefully someone can help out . ANYway.....gonna do some measuring and make me up a stainless exhaust tube with a 45 al;ready on it......the projects keep adding up....

brack
05-16-2010, 08:46 PM
more ...................

brack
05-17-2010, 10:40 PM
Got my new section of hose , also going to replace the hose from the bottom of the boat to the RWPump....suppose to be bad weather for a few days , hopefully install when the weather straightens up . Then take a lil break , go to Vegas for the UFC fights at the end of the month , and then get back to work on her . Brother n law ( actually Ex BRO ) is going to roll my channel for my trailer and then im gonna lay it all out with measurements from my existing one , tack it all together , triple check my measurements , then weld it out & have it galvanized......ill have plenty of pics of trailer build

87SunSportMikeyD
05-19-2010, 05:46 PM
Wow you are hard at work. We are watching! Best of luck.

brack
05-27-2010, 02:00 PM
Well got my top in yesteday ,thanks James(memmer99).... all my hoses are in ,have all material for my new trailer........gonna have fun when I get back from Las Vegas......

Memmer99
06-01-2010, 04:52 PM
No Problem, Hope the bimini works out for ya!

brack
06-05-2010, 10:46 PM
OK , back from my trip ( the fights , UFC 114 , was awesome BTW ) ...... Replaced all my hoses , installed new exhaust pipe , flushed my gas tank , re-installed the piece of the floor i cut out to get to the exhaust pipe , fresh gas ....... and ignition.....man that 454 sounds awesome......also for some some reason , i never really looked at the hour meter when i bought it....only 214 !!!!

now it time for my trailer rebuild

brack
07-05-2010, 01:12 AM
OK , so its been awhile....

Finally took her out this weekend ... BOY o BOY what a blast !!!

PROS ::
* Found out i can actually back a trailer halfway decent
* SHe started up , warmed up and ran like a champ , sweet response and no vibrations . temp around 170-180
* steering wasnt as bad as i thought ( thought i was going to hafta get a new cable )
* KNOCK on wood , everything work OK for me

CONS :::
* SOMEONE should invent a reverse that works for these things . I have read lots of things on this forum about reverse beiing tricky....BUT dam guys , I looked flipping silly trying to leave the boat ramp the first time ( i was the only one there though , unless you count the elder gentleman sitting on his deck watching me )
* my little 454 does like to drink a lil bit , but I can live with this one
* Did i mention the lack of reverse skills
* Real important to make sure the plug is in the bottom of the boat ( " uh dad , are we suppose to be riding this low ? " )
*Drivers seat sit way to dang LOW.....i like looking over the windshield ( gonna make me a new lil platorm to lean on / sit)
* both SPeedos did not work
* oh and something about reverse

One question i do have is this , went out on the lake tonite to watch the fireworks . i understand about the lights having to be on during when you are running . question is , when i turn off the boat , is there another way i can turn on my lights . reason im asking , i leave my lights on and my dash/gauge lights stay on as well . Is this normal

thanks in advance

warek1814
07-05-2010, 11:41 AM
The back of your boat will pull to one side or the other in reverse. If you turn the wheel the other direction that the rear of the boat pulls in reverse it will some what go straight back.

dshaff24
07-05-2010, 11:49 PM
Yeah reverse sucks but all I do is bump it in reverse and idle it straight back, These boats are awesome once you put it in forward though with the turning radious

rludtke
07-06-2010, 12:16 AM
Well, at least we share the same trait as ocean liners, they go sideways in reverse too. The sideways translation in reverse can be a real attribute though- you can use it to your advantage when docking.

Approach your dock target at a 45 degree entry angle, with the dock on the drivers side. Idle up to the dock shifting into and out of idle-in-gear to control your speed to a slow walk pace. As you get to about 6 feet of the dock (perhaps closer, practice will make perfect) coasting in neutral, shift into reverse idle, and the stern will move to your right toword the dock, and your forward speed will quickly die. Shift back to neutral as appropriate. The boat will pivot to become parrallel with the dock, and if your timing was right, all forward momentum will be gone, and you will be inches away from the dock. All you have to do is move your hand from the throttle to the dock to catch it. If you end up to far from the dock, or not quite parralel, a few bumps into either fwd with the steering wheel turned toword the dock followed by a bump into reverse to bring you back to parallel will fine tune your position.

I aways get a lot of satisfaction from a well executed dock approach, even if no one is present to see it. :)

It is important to remember that we have little stearing in reverse, so always plan to do your manuvering moving forward. Use reverse to create distance from an obstacle, not to maneuvering around it. Once sufficient space has been created, you can move forward in gear to turn. Also, you can spin the boat inside its own lenght by bumping in and out of forward gear with the rudder hard over in either direction. This can be really handy in a tight boat launch if you want to disengage and try a new trailer approach.

The general public, and especially the stern-drivers, are not aware of the inboard boats "challanges", so don't sweat the comments they might make- they know not of what they speak. Some day they may graduate to real boats too. :)

brack
07-06-2010, 10:54 PM
next trip out ( hopefully soon to see if i fixed my fuel problem SEE pics in "service section" ) im strictly going to be playing with the throttle and docking better and using reverse and the likes ...hopefully to get a better feel......it was great on the water though

Okie Boarder
07-07-2010, 05:37 PM
Glad to see you are out there and working through the issues. The reverse thing took us a while too, but you soon get used to it and grow to love it. I like showing my non-inboard friends how I can turn my boat around in a complete 360 without much movement and without touching the steering wheel.

This is a great quote...

The general public, and especially the stern-drivers, are not aware of the inboard boats "challanges", so don't sweat the comments they might make- they know not of what they speak. Some day they may graduate to real boats too.

brack
10-10-2010, 11:24 PM
took her out tonite....looks like i have my fuel issues fixed for now ( fingers crossed ).....now maybe i can focus on my new trailer

sydneyACE
10-13-2010, 07:18 PM
Brack, happy to hear your fuel issue is resolved. I just joined the "Supra Club" with my own 84 Rider. I plan on bugging you for info a lot hehehe ;)