PDA

View Full Version : Puling the trany

SuperSaltAir
05-01-2010, 12:11 AM
I think Im goint to pull my trany tomorow any tips pointers? I have the 454 with the velvet drive on an 89 saltere

Mani
05-01-2010, 01:37 AM
I'd imagine that it would be a pain to pull just the transmission by itself.

If it's anything like 351 in the sunsport the engine only has two supports, so You'll need something to prop it up, as a third support, while you pull the transmission, as not to strain the motor mounts.

Good luck.

purple boat
05-01-2010, 02:16 AM
Somewhere on the Correct Craft boards there is a good write up with photos on how to pull just the trans. You will want to raise the back of the motor by placing a bottle jack under one of the exhaust manifolds so you can tilt the trans up to get to all the bell housing bolts. I had to do this last year when I destroyed my reverse clutches. It is easier to just remove the transmission and put it back in than to pull the motor at the same time unless you are also doing significant motor work. BTW, it is easiest to use an engine hoist to pull the trans. Those suckers are heavier than they look! Good luck!

beast 496
05-01-2010, 09:09 AM
Raise the rear of the engine, you will have to remove the exhaust hose from the manifold. Support the engine with some solid blocking. Do not remove the bell housing, but just unbolt the tranny from it. You should have two studs and 4 bolts. Oh remember to unbolt your drive shaft befor lifting rear of engine. Keep the cooler with the tranny as it will need to be flushed anyway. Al

saltare inverts
05-01-2010, 11:04 PM
I have the same trans as you. I pulled mine lasr year. It is exactly how everyone says. Its not too bad of a job. I did another one recently and had it out in 45 minutes. Its pretty simple once you go at it.