View Full Version : New Here

seeyaby
05-01-2010, 09:55 PM
Well hello supra owners ...
i just purchased a 1989 supra bravura
375 hrs .. i have stripped the decals and got a new
set just not installed them yet ..
Now trying to figure out how to keep my batteries
charged .. This is my first boat so i have a lot to learn ..
i am sure i will be asking you all a lot of ?? s
Will post pics soon .

brack
05-01-2010, 10:32 PM
Welcome aboard , I just joined as well..... ask away , these guys are full of knowledge and are more than happy & eager to help..

seeyaby
05-01-2010, 10:37 PM
thanks brack .. does your boat have electronic ignition?

saltare inverts
05-01-2010, 10:53 PM
Welcome to your new home. We are glad to have you.

seeyaby
05-01-2010, 11:00 PM
thanks saltare inverts and that is true my new home....

ssmith
05-01-2010, 11:29 PM
Welcome aboard

brack
05-02-2010, 12:01 AM
yes it does have EI..... new EI distributor installed 2 weeks ago..... turn the key and bam shes running ( one big plus of it )

DGREEN
05-02-2010, 12:38 AM
Welcome! It's great to have you here, excited to see some pics of the new vessel!

87SunSportMikeyD
05-03-2010, 11:16 AM
Welcome seeyaby and brack! Your boat likely has a smaller alternator than it should. My 87 SunSport had a 35 amp alt (also with lots of old technology). I replaced it with a 105amp alt that required no other modifications. Just bolt it on. It was only $75, american made with a great warranty.

http://www.db-starter-alternator.com/Alternators/Marine/?sck=6745929

Here is their website, give them a call, Ron I think is who I talked to SUPER awesome info he will tell you what you need in 30 seconds. If you want you can search for a thread I made, search my user name and alternator but I dont have time to link all the reasearch right now.. :) Here is the lowdown our old boats have an 'external voltage regulator' and hook up to the motor with a '3-wire' setup. Your new alt will have an internal regulator and a one-wire setup. Tape the extra wires back. Good luck, PM me if you want, and get ready for a fun summer!

87SunSportMikeyD
05-03-2010, 11:40 AM
Do you have one battery or two? I would recommend two for safety and piece of mind. You can easily spend a lot on batteries. Personally I am still using a auto-shop marine/rv deep cycle for my stereo/backup battery (biggest they had) and then a high power starting battery. Many boat-heads will tell you the vibrations can shorten the life of these batteries. This will be my third year on them in this boat without issues so I can only give my experience but in my families other boats they were never an issue either.

To connect the two batteries there are many options. The cheapest, most effective option in my humble opinion and after online research (but not able to test them all in real life) I went with the SurePower 1314 which is a seperator/ combiner. There is a thread about it going on right now I think.. Do a search or PM me before I write another book. Only about $65 I think. I'm always on a budget. :)

Okie Boarder
05-03-2010, 12:58 PM
Welcome. Time to post some pics. ;-)

chautauquasun
05-03-2010, 02:02 PM
Welcome

Mikey nailed it with the battery, alternator and Surepower. I am converting mine to a two battery system to run the sound system. I bought the surepower set up. I am eager to get it installed. I too need to upgrade my alternator.

Good luck with everything. Lots of great guys and gals on here with lots of knowledge.

Dan

87SunSportMikeyD
05-03-2010, 02:29 PM
I am just super happy that these two projects were so cheap - $65 Sure and $75 Alt - I have seen other people paying at lease double that for similar options made by different brands. THank you online research!

kodybyron
05-04-2010, 02:20 PM
Welcome aboard! Go ahead and add this site to your computer's favorites and...dont blame us if your company fires you for being online too much hehe!

seeyaby
05-04-2010, 09:04 PM
Thanks guys for the welcome ... I will be ordering one of the 105 amp alt.
and doing some sound mods .. will post pics as soon as the weather
clears up ...

seeyaby
05-04-2010, 09:05 PM
I hear ya koby ...

87SunSportMikeyD
05-05-2010, 10:38 AM
Very good upgrade to get done. Provides a lot of piece of mind on the water with a new alt, 2 batts and knowing they are seperated/combined (search SurePower here to find threads talking about it's capabilities/function). Just keep a couple extra alt belts in case.