PDA

View Full Version : Wax job gone bad...

89supracomp
05-02-2010, 05:25 PM
I would like to get some opinions about cleaning gel coat.
The gel coat on my boat is in good condition. Last weekend, the wife and I decided to wax the boat (89 Comp) and get it ready for spring. I used some wax called liquid lustre....same stuff I normally use on my truck. Now I have swirl marks that I cant get off. :confused:
Whenever I try to buff out the wax, it doesnt want to come off. Sould I use some type of rubbing compound to get the wax off? The boat is still pretty shiny, but you can see white swirl marks left behind from the wax.

Maybe I shouldn't have waxed it? What does everyone else do to keep their gel coat looking new?

suprava10
05-02-2010, 10:19 PM
I would go back and wash it really good with tide and water. That will strip the wax off. If not you can go back with ammonia and water if it didn't come off at first.

If that doesn't work, pick up a product like Color restorer/ gloss restorer. 3m makes it as does Meguiers. I like Meguiers because it stays wetter and cuts quicker in my opinion!! MAKE SURE THESE ARE FOR FIBERGLASS!! Gelcoat is different than car paint and as such can be messed up by different chemicals. Sometimes it is ok and sometimes they do what you've experienced!!

After this, go back and wax it with Collinite Fiberglass wax. The stuff is awesome, durable and gives a great shine. Just use a little because a little goes a long way! When washing after waxing make sure you use a soap that will not strip the wax. I love Babes Boat Care products and I am sure others will vouch for it as well.

Good Luck! No biggie just needs some cleaning and a new coat of wax and you will be good to go!:cool:

89supracomp
05-02-2010, 10:50 PM
I would go back and wash it really good with tide and water. That will strip the wax off. If not you can go back with ammonia and water if it didn't come off at first.

If that doesn't work, pick up a product like Color restorer/ gloss restorer. 3m makes it as does Meguiers. I like Meguiers because it stays wetter and cuts quicker in my opinion!! MAKE SURE THESE ARE FOR FIBERGLASS!! Gelcoat is different than car paint and as such can be messed up by different chemicals. Sometimes it is ok and sometimes they do what you've experienced!!

After this, go back and wax it with Collinite Fiberglass wax. The stuff is awesome, durable and gives a great shine. Just use a little because a little goes a long way! When washing after waxing make sure you use a soap that will not strip the wax. I love Babes Boat Care products and I am sure others will vouch for it as well.

Good Luck! No biggie just needs some cleaning and a new coat of wax and you will be good to go!:cool:

Thank you. I will give this a try.:)

michael hunter
05-03-2010, 09:04 AM
As Suprava10 said you must use marine wax on your boat automotive wax is not made for gelcoat. I have heard good things about Collinite. I use Poorboys products on my boats.
I would use a good cleaner. I use Poorboys polish it will take all the water spots bird droppings and old wax off then follow up with a good paste wax.

87SunSportMikeyD
05-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Wow Suprava10 nice post!

wotan2525
05-03-2010, 02:45 PM
Just had a professional boat detailer recommend Collinite wax this weekend. He said it's petroleum based, terrible for the evironment, and bulletproof. I gotta find some!!

michael hunter
05-03-2010, 09:27 PM
There is a member on Correct Craft Fan that is a collinite dealer . Let me know if you want me to find him?