PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust issue ....84 Rider

brack
05-02-2010, 10:19 PM
OK guys , installed new trans cooler & water strainer on her today . Then i crawled under to replace the exhaust flaps . Replaced one side , looked inside to check things out and all looked OK ( i assume , new owner just didnt see anything out of the ordinarey )...went to the other side , removed old one , looked inside , AND HOLY HELL !!!!! looked like there was an explosion in there . Then i got to thinking , a few months back i was running her in the driveway , had water hooked up , ran for a few minutes then i saw a lot of steam and smelled a bad smell . once ot cooled I noticed one of the exhaust down tubes was twisted and was still hot . tore into her and saw the down tube was burn due to the riser being plugged with rust . simple solution i thought , Bought 2 new risers and a new down tube ....thought it was fixed....now this ...

How easy / hard of a fix is this to repair.....can i just unclamp the hose and pull the old out and replace with new or what.....

thanks in advance

Okie Boarder
05-03-2010, 01:05 PM
Do you have the flaps or super trapps? Do you have access the where that stuff goes through the hull, like under the gas tank?

chautauquasun
05-03-2010, 02:11 PM
can you send us some pics to give us a better idea of what you are seeing?

87SunSportMikeyD
05-03-2010, 02:44 PM
I would call a professional about that one. There is probably a solution for replacing a portion of the exhaust pipe. Try Jim at Viper, or Bennetts (contact info is all over here if you run a search)

brack
05-03-2010, 03:04 PM
Ok ,here's some of the answers....

There is no access to the pipe , it has flaps on the back and also another kind of bifold flap 6 inches in .....ill try to take some pics tonite when I get home...... I hope I dont have to cut a slot in the floor.......If so , ill be making me someSS ones at work :...

brack
05-03-2010, 09:37 PM
here is some pics....not great but the best i could take.....

sybrmike
05-03-2010, 10:45 PM
Why do I feel like a gyno doc after viewing those pics?

I assume the first two are of the "good" side? Not familiar with that early of a boat, but looks like a one way flapper valve to prevent backflow through the exhaust. Second the others that it's probably gonna require pulling the floor in that area to make a repair...

brack
05-03-2010, 11:14 PM
hmmmm didnt quite look at it that way , yeah i think im gonna have to pull up the carpet and carve up that small section of the floor.... if so , im gonna fab me up some SS pipes at work to replace the fiberglass stock one ( I thinks thats what is in there from the factory ) i dont know about the other set of small one directional flaps in there...hopefully someone can help me out on that one ( they look like they are just bolted in place . and to think , i just filled my tank up....Crap happens that way huh.......BTW , SybrMike , what area of Houston??..... i live off of Lake Houston , in Crosby

csuggs
05-04-2010, 05:46 AM
hmmmm didnt quite look at it that way , yeah i think im gonna have to pull up the carpet and carve up that small section of the floor.... if so , im gonna fab me up some SS pipes at work to replace the fiberglass stock one ( I thinks thats what is in there from the factory ) i dont know about the other set of small one directional flaps in there...hopefully someone can help me out on that one ( they look like they are just bolted in place . and to think , i just filled my tank up....Crap happens that way huh.......BTW , SybrMike , what area of Houston??..... i live off of Lake Houston , in Crosby

Looks like you're on the right track Brack - but you should call Jim or Donnie before you get started. I'm certain they've dealt with this issue before and may give you some good advice before you get started. It looks to me like you've got a hose beyond the primary flapper that needs to be replaced as well. Jim's number is 865-388-4096. Donnie Bennett's number can be found by googling Bennett's Boat Repair in Maryville, TN.

Okie Boarder
05-04-2010, 09:36 AM
I wonder why they used fiberglass for the pipes. Does anyone know?

sybrmike
05-04-2010, 04:15 PM
I'm over in Cypress. Weekends on Sommerville & maybe an afternoon on Conroe during the week (try to avoid that place on the weekends). Once she's finished, I plan on at least one trip over to Travis (I owe Salty87 a cold beverage).

Def check with Jim & Donnie - those internal flappers may indeed serve a purpose...

brack
05-04-2010, 10:29 PM
Called both today , left a message @ Vipers and talked to Mr Bennett for quite awhile about my issue ( and a few other s) he asked me to send a few pictures so he can get a look at what im seeing . He told me to see if i can feel underneath the tank and see if i can feel a floor right over where a muffler would be . He said some boats were made that way . I felt tonight ( the best i could ) and it looks like im gonna have to move the tank out and cut me a opening ....The worse part is that i have about 25 gallons of fuel in it

Mani
05-04-2010, 10:40 PM
Syphon it into your Vette :D

brack
05-04-2010, 10:53 PM
good point !!!! that would mean i would have to take it out and drive it as well......SIGHHHH...... ok then !!! ill take one for the good of the boat