PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Oil Change

Okie Boarder
05-03-2010, 04:41 PM
I was thinking I would change my transmission oil. It looks like there was a recommendation on the "name plate" back there, but was wondering if anyone had a specific recommendation.

I assume I need to suck it out, right?

wotan2525
05-03-2010, 04:48 PM
Assuming yours is the same as mine -- even when I had the tranny out I wasn't able to find a drain plug on it. You can either suck it out through the lower house, use a vacuum pump or drill pump and suck it out through the fill/dip-stick hole. I've always done mine through the dipstick hole... I found a bunch of sludge in it last time I did this. Seemed to run fine but at the end of last year I started getting an oil leak in my tranny cooler. Just replaced it and sucked/filled the tranny fluid. Fingers crossed that I'll be good for another 20 years!

Mani
05-03-2010, 04:53 PM
I checked mine upside down and sideways for spot to drain it, and no such thing on the borg warner 1:1. It needs to be sucked out. To be honest, I just turned mine over and let it drain out the dipstick tube while I had it out.

From what I gathered online you can use just about any kinda oil because of how tough these transmissions are, BUT the recommendation is Dexron III ATF.

Memmer99
05-03-2010, 05:33 PM
I just changed it in my 89 sunsport. There is a drain plug at the bottom but good luck getting to it. I believe it takes a size 7mm allen but there is only about an inch clearence from the tranny to the bottom of the bildge. I just used a pump in the dipstick. I could not find dexron 3 so i ended up putting dexron 6. The bottle says it meets or exceeds dexron 3. Someone please let me know if you think dexron 6 is a bad idea.

docdrs
05-03-2010, 06:49 PM
dexron VI is supposed to be new and improved dexron III. GM TSB states that current and prior automatic transmission models that had used DEXRON III must now only use DEXRON VI
oil film thickness increased by 20%
foam /aeration improved 150%
shear stability improved 200 %
fluid oxidation improved 100%