PDA

View Full Version : water leaking through the drive shaft

angrymonkey
06-22-2004, 03:36 PM
I am wondering if someone can clarify something for me. I put my sunsport in the water yesterday and the boat immediately began to leak water through where the drive shaft goes out from the engine. I tried tightening the "bolt" that sits above it but it made no difference. What do i need to do to make this leaking stop?

thanks
Mike

Salty87
06-22-2004, 04:01 PM
sounds like you need to change the packing and have never done so.....new boat? has it been a while since it was changed?

it's an easy process but something you'll need to read up on. you'll also need to get some replacement packing to put back in.

basically, the packing prevents most of the water from entering the boat. but, to keep the packing lubricated so it doesn't burn up, a drip of water every 10 seconds or so is recommended.

there are 2 bolts....1 that keeps the packing locked in the correct area and 1 that tightens the whole thing down. when the boat is out of the water, take the old stuff apart and dig out the old packing. take your new packing and cut it in a few small strips. you want to wrap it around the shaft so that the edges don't line up, like laying bricks....each new one staggered back about half of the length of the previous. that's so the water doesn't find an easier path along those seams.

then put it all back together. before you're done though, you have to fine tune it so the drip keeps it lubricated. do that on the water, you need to put the tranny in gear in the water to see how much of a drip you're getting. tighten or loosen as needed to adjust.

angrymonkey
06-22-2004, 04:18 PM
thanks for the reply. It is an older boat, a 96 sunsport. I have never changed the packing. from your description though, it sounds pretty easy. Is there any potential for me to damage anything if I do it wrong?

Salty87
06-28-2004, 11:59 AM
not really but too much water could come in, like you're already seeing, if it isn't tightened down enough. if you get it too tight, you could burn the packing and score the shaft which will lead to the need for a replacement sometime.